Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 07:05 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is no capability to stop and question anyone except for an articuable suspicion a crime has occurred or is about to. And then an officer has the rights to demand only the persons name. There is no ability for a police officer to demand documents or information about legal status. The officer can ask but the person is not under any duty to answer. The officer can of course make an illegal arrest...but he can always do that. Just so long as the jurisdiction is willing to pay the cost for an illegal arrest.

Any such arrest is a violation of the 4th amendment and possibly the 5th..
I'm waiting for cheesecake to respond

And no. If the feds give police immigration powers and they are stopped for an offense have no license no ID if there is suspicion they are illegal they can go that route

Old 12-13-2016, 07:10 PM

And suspected illegal is taken to jail on the offense. Finger printed and then ICE can dig deeper.

You aren't going to win this one. Sorry

Old 12-13-2016, 07:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post

And no. If the feds give police immigration powers and they are stopped for an offense have no license no ID if there is suspicion they are illegal they can go that route
No they can't. There is absolutely no way to determine this and the courts have already ruled against it. I DO NOT as a citizen have to carry I.D. on me. It must be assumed everyone is a citizen.

Besides at best this would catch an inconsequential number of people.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:

A driver can be stopped for a traffic offense. But outside of the border area the immigration officer has no authority to stop a car. But the cop has no right to question anyone other than a driver. And in CA the driver likely has a license.

And yes a police officer can be deputized by the immigration people. But that requires an agreement with the police force and generally some payment to the force for the increased duty. No police force should agree to taking on federal law enforcement without payment. We have more than enough for our police without taking on federal "hobby" projects.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they can't. There is absolutely no way to determine this and the courts have already ruled against it. I DO NOT as a citizen have to carry I.D. on me. It must be assumed everyone is a citizen.

Besides at best this would catch an inconsequential number of people.
If You are stopped for an offense and don't come up in the system you're getting hauled in

Simple

Old 12-13-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
A driver can be stopped for a traffic offense. But outside of the border area the immigration officer has no authority to stop a car. But the cop has no right to question anyone other than a driver. And in CA the driver likely has a license.

And yes a police officer can be deputized by the immigration people. But that requires an agreement with the police force and generally some payment to the force for the increased duty. No police force should agree to taking on federal law enforcement without payment. We have more than enough for our police without taking on federal "hobby" projects.
WARRANTS

Federal arrest warrants: names from DACA DAPA and all state drivers licenses and criminal histories

Old 12-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
If You are stopped for an offense and don't come up in the system you're getting hauled in

Simple
Nope. You don't get to "haul them in". You have to get deputized first. And that is not going to happen in CA. So no...you can't.

And if you could ICE won't pick them up and you can't hold them other than for the offense.

And all that is irrelevant to doing anything about the 11 million.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:

Simple
It's that way now. So you have been relegated to arguing the enforcement of current law as it stands. I'm OK with that.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Nope. You don't get to "haul them in". You have to get deputized first. And that is not going to happen in CA. So no...you can't.

And if you could ICE won't pick them up and you can't hold them other than for the offense.

And all that is irrelevant to doing anything about the 11 million.
Wrong.

Unidentified law breakers go to jail even for a misdemeanor traffic offense

Old 12-13-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Wrong.

Unidentified law breakers go to jail even for a misdemeanor traffic offense
They are not unidentified. In CA they have drivers licenses and if not can tell you who they are.

You may be able to hold someone on a traffic offense but I doubt it. And you will not get ICE to pick them up. So you are lousing someone's life up just for the heck of it? Makes you feel good or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration