Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times

Advertisements

This is outrageous!!

Unemployment Benefits for Illegal Immigrants: Colorado Scandal Exposed - The Corner - National Review Online

Quote:
The investigative arm of Colorado’s Independence Institute is reporting that officials at the state’s labor agency defied the law by disabling computer software and thereby allowing “unqualified citizens and illegal aliens” to receive unemployment insurance since early 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
I'll believe it when I see it reported elsewhere - this story is FULL of holes. Since when does a state DOL use DMV records to verify eligibility status?

I'm a legal migrant and I can tell you right now what they DO verify is your Alien Registration number.........and it better match your SSN or forget any UE benefits.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'll believe it when I see it reported elsewhere - this story is FULL of holes. Since when does a state DOL use DMV records to verify eligibility status?

I'm a legal migrant and I can tell you right now what they DO verify is your Alien Registration number.........and it better match your SSN or forget any UE benefits.
I hope you're right but there are articles out there showing they were handing out tax returns to illegals like lotto tickets.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
With the collapse of the housing bubble - and it was illegals who were working in the housing industry, something is keeping them here waiting for their amnesty. You can bet there are all sorts of loopholes and alternative programs for them - and notice that while Americans must head off to work every day, it's the illegals who have all the time to spend in protests and even traveling from one protest to another.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
GOP lawmakers call for audit amid e-mails suggesting illegal immigrants received state jobless aid - The Denver Post

Quote:
House Bill 1023 required that applicants for public benefits provide valid identification, such as a driver's license, and sign an affidavit stating they are U.S. citizens or lawfully present in the country. To enforce the law, the department set up a computer program to automatically deny unemployment benefits to people who had not signed and returned a form saying they were U.S. citizens or lawful residents.

The department's current executive director, Don Mares, said the agency suspended the automated process in early 2009 because it was flooded with unemployment claims, and agency staff was overwhelmed with processing the affidavit forms. That, combined with the fact that applicants for benefits did not always return forms within the required seven days, meant that many people eligible for benefits might be automatically cut off.
Surely the state already has other checks (ie SSN & forms from the employer verifying employment and termination). This 1023 procedure is just an addition step where people submit a form swearing that they are eligible. The computer program just checked if people signed the form. If you are going to scam the government then you will lie on this form - so the only people "caught" are people who forgot so send it in on time.

Last edited by Gary Siete; 08-08-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Why wouldn’t illegals receive UI benefits if they are using a stolen SSN to work? The system won’t know they’re a fraud. Also, citizens have been denied benefits because their SSN is being used by illegals, because the records indicate the person is working.

Quote:
Trevino found herself in a financial nightmare. All those imitators made a mess out of her work history, her Social Security benefits records and her credit report. She was haunted by bills and creditors. She received threatening letters from the IRS, asking her to pay taxes on money earned by her imposters. She was told to re-pay unemployment benefits she had received, after the government discovered she was "working" while drawing benefits.

"At the time I'm thinking, 'I'm unemployed. I wish I could have at least one job, let alone all these different jobs,’" she said.
The secret list of ID theft victims - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why wouldn’t illegals receive UI benefits if they are using a stolen SSN to work? The system won’t know they’re a fraud. Also, citizens have been denied benefits because their SSN is being used by illegals, because the records indicate the person is working.

The secret list of ID theft victims - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

I'm sure it happens (especially if they have a stolen SSN that belongs to a US citizen), I'm just not sure THIS article regarding it is legit.

What is more worrying is that as there seems to be a BIG push for illegal workers to be afforded the "protections" under labour law that are already in place that the next thing will be that we find illegals are also "legally entitled" to claim UE benefits as well.

Last edited by Opyelie; 08-08-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
That is why they steal children's SS# the most.
They will use their anchor babies SS#

Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM

140 posts, read 128,998 times
Of course, if taxpayers dont give the parasites what they want, it's racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration