Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 05:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Prosecutors are free to file complaints for violations of the state's employer sanctions law, as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals denied requests Thursday for emergency injunctions to block the law.

The law has been in effect since Jan. 1, but the county attorneys who are charged with enforcing the law have said they couldn't bring any prosecutions until March 1 at the earliest.

In its order, the three-judge panel rejected requests for emergency stays filed by a coalition of business groups, Hispanic civil-rights groups and Wake Up Arizona!, another business group.

Appeals court refuses to block Ariz. employer sanctions (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:14 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Wow, I can't believe I'm applauding the 9th Circus...

Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I am not entirely surprised that the 9th Circuit Court refused to hear the case.

The economy here is tanking as we speak-----and, it would not do to cut the financial throats of unemployed Americans.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
LOL! Now there's a show I'd be happy to pay to see.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Prosecutors are free to file complaints for violations of the state's employer sanctions law, as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals denied requests Thursday for emergency injunctions to block the law.
One thing people need to be very aware of is that they only denied an emergency injunction to block the law. Hearings are later this year. A couple of things could still happen, they could allow the lower courts ruling that the law is Constitutional, or they could invalidate it as un-Constitutional. In other words, don’t claim a victory and move on just yet, as worst case scenario, they could invalidate the law, then businesses go back to business-as-usual, and you’re right back where you started.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
One thing people need to be very aware of is that they only denied an emergency injunction to block the law. Hearings are later this year. A couple of things could still happen, they could allow the lower courts ruling that the law is Constitutional, or they could invalidate it as un-Constitutional. In other words, don’t claim a victory and move on just yet, as worst case scenario, they could invalidate the law, then businesses go back to business-as-usual, and you’re right back where you started.
The first charges will be filed Monday. Employers are really going to be put on MORE notice than before.

IMO, this law (Arizona's) will pass muster.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
If the economy continues to deteriorate-------that alone would likely force the courts to uphold the assorted anti illegal immigrant laws.

One thing about our culture: we are slow to anger; once enraged--------look out!. Read that there will likely be mass deportations------with all Anchor Babies age 17 on down being stripped of their birthright citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration