U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
OK, after reading some of the responses I will admit my thoughts are niave to a certain extent. Very good posts indeed. However, some of the other ones about how rich Mexico is... seem very far fetched and a few others are out & out racist for the purpose of being racist.

But I believe the facts still remain that for many, the majority, of those trying to come here are just trying to make a better living (I forgot who made that point, but it was well taken and made a big impression on me). I, for one, can't begrudge anyone for that.

It also seems to me that if we were a little more accepting we could pretty much control the immigrants as they come in- and thereby controling who we want and don't want.

If life here isn't any bettter for them, they will return home. All we're doing is making life hostile against them.
In the end, your compassion is well-founded. It's hard to see anyone end up in "dire straits", and all kind people tend to see THEMSELVES in that position--and it's sad.

But countries are really not much different than families, except in scale. I'm sure you know plenty of 'kids' around, whose parents treat them badly---or don't 'listen' to them--or allow them to 'run wild', or fail to teach them good values. But you can't POSSIBLY straighten out their problems. Your responsibility is to your own "kids", not every kid in town. There is no way in the WORLD that you could ever "undo" the neglect and abuse of all the 'bad parents" (or even 'mediocre' parents) in your town--or in your state.

All YOU can do is offer a good example-- help out the neighbors WHEN YOU CAN (which we CERTAINLY do, as a country), and try to do the 'right thing'. You can go to great lengths to help out the destitute, the starving, and the abused..(and we DO that). You can NOT, however, 'take in" the neighbor's kids and 'adopt' them, just because 'Mom and Dad' don't dress them well, or 'party too much', or 'blow their money', or don't 'listen' enough to their kids. THat's just not your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 01:57 PM

207 posts, read 373,011 times
The American Middle Class is already buckling under taking care of pet projects for politicans, war adventures and welfare cases and all of these illegals pouring in.

If everyone's equal, then why can't these people make something out of their own country?

They have far more advantages than our forefathers did. Our forefathers had to fight Indians, and the 3 global super powers of their time - disciplined, well trained, well equipped, English, French and Spaniard armies. And yet our ancestors still made something out of this wilderness called America.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:17 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm not sure of your stats on that statement. By illegally coming into the United States, 100% are criminals. Then they add criminal offenses by getting an illegal drivers license, by getting an illegal SS card, by illegal quarters, by using other peoples identity, by putting their kids in school, by using health care, etc...
Strictly speaking; a person here illegally in the USA and picked up by the authorities is not committing a felony--------unless he is caught a second time.

Now: that stated; the list of offences that you posted would constitute felonies on top of simply being an illegal immigrant.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,477 times
Default Gee...

i actually agree with this dude ok..
cu gee chotaw or whatever. you may say that mexicans do no want to learn english but gee are you wrong!!have you ever been to Mexico my little 5 year iold cousin can saY ENGLISH words yet she has no idea what she is saying their are english songs on the radio...so dont say that they dont want to learn english because you HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!
hahahahah im laughin at anyones face that says that because I am a native spanish speaker. and well I learned english about the age of 4 well gee..i think i wanted to learn english..cuz boy did i learn it!!! many people I KNOW strive to learn english and their pretty good. and no one can judge an immigrant unless they were one because you need to be in their shoes...
no one the slightest idea how it feels to be a latina evryone has less expectation of you but that does not stop immigrants..we work to hard for anyone to be saying we take jobs.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_27 View Post
i actually agree with this dude ok..
cu gee chotaw or whatever. you may say that mexicans do no want to learn english but gee are you wrong!!have you ever been to Mexico my little 5 year iold cousin can saY ENGLISH words yet she has no idea what she is saying their are english songs on the radio...so dont say that they dont want to learn english because you HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!
hahahahah im laughin at anyones face that says that because I am a native spanish speaker. and well I learned english about the age of 4 well gee..i think i wanted to learn english..cuz boy did i learn it!!! many people I KNOW strive to learn english and their pretty good. and no one can judge an immigrant unless they were one because you need to be in their shoes...
no one the slightest idea how it feels to be a latina evryone has less expectation of you but that does not stop immigrants..we work to hard for anyone to be saying we take jobs.
Legal immigrants are welcome here.

Illegal ones need to leave or face deportation------minimum.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,677,330 times
Exclamation Don't pick on just the Mexicans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Benicar's first paragraph summed up what my 1st paragraph was going to be.

If we are supposed to allow immigrants in because of hardships, Mexicans should not be allowed because there are many countries where their people are a lot worse off than them.

If I , as an individual, felt the need to help out a family that was impoverished by doing special favors-----------I would look for the family that needed it the most in my "community"

I certainly wouldn't do it automatically for a family just cuz they were my neighbor when a "few doors down" there are families in much worse shape .
Guys,

Let's keep in mind, it's not only Mexicans!

In this day and age, NO-ONE who is here from another country feels the need to speak English!
What language does your manicurist speak? Your clothing store owner, your circle K worker????

Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Guys,

Let's keep in mind, it's not only Mexicans!

In this day and age, NO-ONE who is here from another country feels the need to speak English!
What language does your manicurist speak? Your clothing store owner, your circle K worker????
Perhaps I tend to frequent businesses (with the notable exception of Mexican/Chinese restaurants) that have English speaking staff

Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Perhaps I tend to frequent businesses (with the notable exception of Mexican/Chinese restaurants) that have English speaking staff
Well, you know what I mean...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 817,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The only English speaking staff at Mexican and Chinese restaurants are the waiters. I don't see many Mexicans in chinese restaurants. But I've been to: Korean BBQ high-end restaurants, Persian restaurants, Italian restaurants, mom n' pop burger joints and.. ALL LATINO KITCHEN STAFF. Actually at the Korean BBQ place, the kitchen staff came into the restaurant and whipped out 2 dozen tortillas and started eating. LOL!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
The economy of Mexico is the 12th largest in the world, with a gross domestic product (by PPP estimate) that surpassed a trillion dollars in 2004, measured in purchasing power parity. Mexico has a free market and export-oriented economy and is
Quote:
firmly established as an upper middle-income country
. According to the World Bank's latest available figure (September 14, 2007), it has the highest income per capita in Latin America, in market exchange rates and the second in purchasing power parity.Mexico is the only Latin American member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. According to Golmansachs BRIMC review of emerging econimies, by 2050 Mexico will be the 6th largest economy in the world behind China, USA, India, Japan, and Brazil. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or