U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,904,652 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]This may have all been said before, but here’s my personal, albeit naïve, view on immigration.

Let’s take a Mexican. Let’s call him Paco. So here’s Paco sitting in Mexico with a wife and two kids. No work. Little food. Pressure to get into drugs. Corrupt government.

Paco wants a better life for his wife & kids. But where can he go? The USA. So they lose everything they have to a ‘coyote’ and manage to get here after a few failed attempts.

Paco gets a job. With the help of activists (I used to work with, but I wasn’t one of them) he learns how to get various documents and ‘work’ the system. He & his family work hard. Child labor is alive & well for Mexicans (I’ve seen it all too often). But they make a substantially better living doing work others will not do.

Now, before I go on, I do realize that not all the illegals from Mexico are as pure as Tibetan snow. I get that. But percentage wise, they are more so than we are.

Why can’t we take the money we’re spending on trying to keep illegals out and use it to make it easier to get them here, registering them so we can weed out the bad ones more so, helping them gain tax-paying citizenship status, helping them learn to speak English… rather than beating them down?
Rather than the activists teaching them to cheat the systems, why not indoctrinate them into our system and make them responsible & accountable?

Am I really wrong here? I really don’t think so.

[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM

402 posts, read 938,055 times
Quote:
we can weed out the bad ones more so, helping them gain tax-paying citizenship status, helping them learn to speak English… rather than beating them down?
Rather than the activists teaching them to cheat the systems, why not indoctrinate them into our system and make them responsible & accountable?
We already gave them that option! All they got to do is follow the rules get in line and do it legally.

as for them learning English......they just don't want to, theywant us to learn their language.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
[SIZE=2]This may have all been said before, but here’s my personal, albeit naïve, view on immigration.

Let’s take a Mexican. Let’s call him Paco. So here’s Paco sitting in Mexico with a wife and two kids. No work. Little food. Pressure to get into drugs. Corrupt government.

Paco wants a better life for his wife & kids. But where can he go? The USA. So they lose everything they have to a ‘coyote’ and manage to get here after a few failed attempts.

Paco gets a job. With the help of activists (I used to work with, but I wasn’t one of them) he learns how to get various documents and ‘work’ the system. He & his family work hard. Child labor is alive & well for Mexicans (I’ve seen it all too often). But they make a substantially better living doing work others will not do.

Now, before I go on, I do realize that not all the illegals from Mexico are as pure as Tibetan snow. I get that. But percentage wise, they are more so than we are.

Why can’t we take the money we’re spending on trying to keep illegals out and use it to make it easier to get them here, registering them so we can weed out the bad ones more so, helping them gain tax-paying citizenship status, helping them learn to speak English… rather than beating them down?

Am I really wrong here? I really don’t think so.

[/SIZE]
Your post is fine from a humanitarian point of view, but fails to take into account that you're ASSUMING that we have a true labor shortage that needs 'new bodies', and the only way to fill this need is to import them.

What actually happens many times, is that illegal immigrants don't fill "new" psitions that CAN'T be filled, they take over OTHER people's positions who've been 'squeezed out" of their jobs by wage cuts, re-structuring, etc. It's easy to say "my American workers don't want to work", but often its because the employer has cut wages and benefiits to the point Americans no longer CAN work--then we blame the Americans for being 'difficult'.

The chances are great for a LOT of resentment, under these circumstances...

Your post ALSO fails to take into account that the US, more than most societies, is NOTHING, if not a society of laws. WE don't have a race, an ethnicity, or really ANYTHING holding us together as a society, EXCEPT our system of laws. And 'rewarding' illegal immigrants is a direct 'slap' at the law---period. It's a terribly bad example for all of us (young people especially) to see our 'leaders' boldly and shamelessly choosing which laws they will, and will not, obey. Even for "good people", we Americans just aren't used to seeing our lawmakers simply 'check out' of their duty to uphold the law--ALL laws, including immigration law. That may be the BIGGEST drawback of all--the direct assault on our legal system. What's the NEXT unpopular law some congressman will chose to ignore, because he just doesn't happen to "like" it?

Tolerating the presence of illegals (as we do) is bad enough...but naturalizing them is nothing more than ewarding criminal behavior. It's a HUGELY bad example to set for a country which bases its society on its compliance with the law.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,904,652 times
Well, I have to admit that my experiences have been mostly centralized to the orchards in Oregon.

And I also fully agree I'm looking at it from a humanitarian point of view.

But from what I see, while we may not get this generation of immigrants to weave into our culture, the next one certainly would.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Well, I have to admit that my experiences have been mostly centralized to the orchards in Oregon.

And I also fully agree I'm looking at it from a humanitarian point of view.

But from what I see, while we may not get this generation of immigrants to weave into our culture, the next one certainly would.
Are ALL of these illegals working in the orchards of central Oregon?? Remember, there's 40 million of them here so be careful how you answer. In fact, are they ALL working in fields and on farms across the nation?

Or are the MAJORITY of them taking jobs at wages which are so low that Americans can't afford to work them any more?

If you want to be a humanitarian, take you and your money south of the border and do it RIGHT. Don't make working Americans suffer any more than we ALREADY have.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM

206 posts, read 365,709 times
Why doesn't anyone ever take a "humanitarian perspective" towards the American worker?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM

407 posts, read 714,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever take a "humanitarian perspective" towards the American worker?
Because it seems that the powers that be only care about criminals who hate this country and wish to take over via their invasion.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
we cant the latinos fix their own countries

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM

407 posts, read 714,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I can't for the other countries but Mexico has a habit of allowing itself to be run by anyone who is bigger and badder and the ones that come here for express purpose to have children and to help with the democraphic take over of our country are weak minded individuals and are doing the bidding of their country and can't think for themselves.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 PM

18 posts, read 33,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
EXACTLY!
As said numerous times before by numerous people, if they are such hard workers, then why don't they work a little harder at fixing their own country instead of dragging ours down with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or