U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 AM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times

Advertisements

I don't get how this is racist and Chris Rock calling people "crackers" isn't But we still love his comedy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
I was listening to George Lopez today on a comedy channel on satellite radio. The title of the bit was "Latinos." Part of it was darned funny, right up to the point that he jumped on his soapbox and started preaching about the fact that Latinos worked faster, Latinos worked better, Latinos worked harder, ad nauseum.

I turned the channel.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 AM

31 posts, read 51,183 times
Every comedy act I have ever heard from George Lopez has been racist as hell, even on the golf channel he acts freaking racist. I can't stand him. Damn liar too.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 AM

638 posts, read 1,638,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I don't get how this is racist and Chris Rock calling people "crackers" isn't But we still love his comedy!
Chris Rock turned me off with his racism years ago . . didn't surprise me when he introduced Barack Obama.

George Lopez smears this country with regards to illegal aliens . . no surprise he's stumping for Obama.

I "used to be" a Democrat.

Heard this one?

"In the name of God the most merciful, the most compassionate. We thank you, God, to bless us among your creations. We thank you, God, to make us as a great nation. We thank you God, to send us your messages through our father Abraham and Moses and Jesus and Mohammed. Through you, God, we unite. So guide us to the right path. The path of the people you bless, not the path of the people you doom. Help us, God, to liberate and fill this earth with justice and peace and love and equality. And help us to stop the war and violence, and oppression and occupation. Ameen."
-- prayer by Imam Al-Husainy at Democratic National Committee's Annual Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C. in 2006

Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
Every comedy act I have ever heard from George Lopez has been racist as hell, even on the golf channel he acts freaking racist. I can't stand him. Damn liar too.
Carlos Mencia is much much funnier than Lopez. Lopez isn't funny, his "humor" is based on his dislike of Americans and his love for Mexicans. He's on the order of a Nazi comedian who pokes fun at Jews and has nothing but praise for Germans. Or a white supremist who mocks blacks and praises whites.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Carlos Mencia is much much funnier than Lopez. Lopez isn't funny, his "humor" is based on his dislike of Americans and his love for Mexicans. He's on the order of a Nazi comedian who pokes fun at Jews and has nothing but praise for Germans. Or a white supremist who mocks blacks and praises whites.
LOL! Have you not realized its 'Mexican-American' culture he talks about and compares it to other cultures? Carlos Mencia never gets a half smile from me, his comedy isn't even funny. I prefer Dane Cook over Menstealia.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
G. Los show on ABC was pretty funny actually. it was more family oriented than his stand up and dealt with more of the typical middle class problems families face.
if you saw a couple episodes of the show im sure you would laugh.
the problem was that the network kept on moving the line up. always changing the day that it aired. that killed his following.
his show was funny and a lot more sanitized.

as for mencia, rock, chapelle!!!! all they do is talk about white people. and black people. and latinos. a lot of comedians are niche comedians. they arent that funny. stick to red necks. stick to mexicans. stick to blacks. its funny when you want to laugh at the expense of a particular group and not feel like a bigot. and its funny if you can relate to it. but i find that humor mildly funny.

but it gets tired. i think g lo is funnier than mencia anywyas, but for
a true comedian...
Cloris Leachman. she is hilarious. and very talented. at the bob saget roast they were really going in oh her too.

here are some quotes from the whole night. i think jews, molestation victims, blacks, whites, fats, everyone should be appalled.

unless they have a sense of humor.

John Stamos
"Jeff Garlin went on Jenny Craig. He cracked three of her ribs."

Greg Giraldo
On Jon Lovitz: "There hasn't been a more effeminate Jew in the closet since Anne Frank."

Jeffrey Ross
"In honor of the late George Carlin, here are seven more words you can't say on TV: 'And the Emmy goes to Bob Saget.'"

Brian Posehn
"I don't even know Bob. I'm just here because Lisa Lampanelli finally got murdered by one of her black boyfriends."

Cloris Leachman
On Bob Saget: "You didn't just kill sitcoms. You raped them and left them for dead, just like I did to Gavin MacLeod in 1975."

Norm Macdonald
[Ed. Note: Norm did this brilliant anti-comedy set of clean old-timey insult jokes that left half the audience baffled and the other half laughing their asses off. The delivery was so essential to the effect, so it probably won't come across in print.]
"Susie Essman may be a vegetarian, but she's still full of bologna in my book."
"Bob takes vitamins A, B, C, D, E, F and G, but he still looks like H!"

Jeff Garlin
On Susie Essman: "Whenever Hollywood needs a loud-mouth *****, you're the fifth person they call."

Jim Norton
"Cloris Leachman's puss-E is so big Baby Jessica had to be rescued when she fell in it."

Gilbert Gottfried
"Cloris Leachman is so old, her t1ts are marked 'White' and 'Colored.'"

Bob Saget
On Jeffrey Ross: "If you looked any more like a horse, Norm Macdonald would lose ten-grand on you."

these are the tame ones.

its comedy folks.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
G. Los show on ABC was pretty funny actually. it was more family oriented than his stand up and dealt with more of the typical middle class problems families face.
if you saw a couple episodes of the show im sure you would laugh.

I'm not a big tv watcher, but my parents and my sister love the George Lopez show. Even though I dont really watch it, I can appreciate its accurate depiction of Chicano family life.
In the last decade or so, there was a little more Latinos in media and popular culture. But damn some of those shows were cheesy!
They usually showed Mexican-American families overemphasizing Mexican culture in them.

The George Lopez show didn't overdo it. That show showed an American family that happened to be Chicano. They didn't talk in melodramatic Spanglish, or act out any kind of stereotypes. They did normal American stuff, with some of the quirks that are classic Chicano.
George's tough as nails mom, his goofy best friend, the homeboys on the corner he gets to build his wifes office(for a pack of beer!).

It was a really good show, and I remember thinking how good it was for the Latino image. Its a good show that a lot of Chicanos and other Americans alike could relate to. Too bad it went off air.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM

I actually don't remember seeing any episode outlining immigration in any way in the George Lopez show. Just the occasional joke of Cubans coming over on their rafts.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:19 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I actually don't remember seeing any episode outlining immigration in any way in the George Lopez show. Just the occasional joke of Cubans coming over on their rafts.
Actually one of the episodes I saw had to do with Cuban immigration. I think it was the grandfather or the wifes father?
I don't know what the situation was. I think he got caught up with some illegals on accident or something. Im not really sure.
But even so, it wasnt a main subject on the show , as far as Ive seen. It was more based around family life.

Are we talking about the same episode?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or