Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times

Advertisements

Thank you...I'm touched that anyone from this forum would care if anything would happen to me.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times
Important to add which coast we are alking about, too, I think because I have nothing good to say about SWFL, however, West Central (St. Pete and all neighboring cities) was like an entirely different country with an entirely different set of rules and group of people compared to Ft. Myers and nearby cities. If you go north of here up the west coast, it is noticeably different as you come into Venice and further northward. I have seen Boca one time and thought it seemed noticeably improved from here and upwardly mobile which is always a good thing.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Thank you...I'm touched that anyone from this forum would care if anything would happen to me.

Thanks..

lulu - of course we care! Ya know, we all may have disagreements here and there on certain topics but behind the words on the screen are people getting to know each other, making friends, helping each other learn things. Many of us would likely be friends outside of this format (even in spite of our spats lol).

Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
lulu - of course we care! Ya know, we all may have disagreements here and there on certain topics but behind the words on the screen are people getting to know each other, making friends, helping each other learn things. Many of us would likely be friends outside of this format (even in spite of our spats lol).
That was very nice

Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Default Nightmare

It must be brutal living down there in South Fla. I live in Orlando and am looking to get back to Tampa/St.Pete area where people still speak English AND the folks tend to be nicer (more Midwest transplants). The Spanish I took a few years in high school hasn't helped me with the loud chatter I hear in Orlando which is murder to the ears. Its SO fast and loud. Like a continuous stream of thought. "Baklakatakamamamayoiyoiyoi....blah..blah"

Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
It must be brutal living down there in South Fla. I live in Orlando and am looking to get back to Tampa/St.Pete area where people still speak English...

Oh dear... Tampa is well on the way! I spend alot of time in Tampa during the day and hear mostly "Baklakatakamamamayoiyoiyoi....blah..blah". Clearwater is getting there too.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 PM

55 posts, read 324,607 times
Greetings,
I am a professional male from Toronto, Canada who 10 yrs ago moved to Miami. I've since left Miami but not running away from it. When I moved to Miami, i spoke just English and French but was armed with a bit of Spanish from a class i took at university in Canada. My parents are from Russia. No doubt my ethnic background helped me navigate through Miami. Naturally, my Spanish improved during my time there. I was quickly able to find professional work amongst Latin Professionals at a very decent (by usa standards) salary. I lived very well during my time there. My work even took me to Latin America where i got a wider appreciation of the Latin cultures and traditions. I can tell you that Miami is in NO WAY like some of of the impoverished countries of Latin America. Miami's selfishness comes from Charles Darwin - survival of the fittest. When you come from the poorer nations of Latin America and are now thrown into USA "waters" to swim for yourself, people's survival skills really come out. These people come from countries with social policies for the poor to help them and are now thrust into raw capitalism for the first time. For the first time, (as an example) there is NO free health care, etc for them. It's quite an adjustment! I've traveled to many countries, and its the same everywhere... every man for himself, sink or swim, etc. It is the same way in cold Canada. I'm dismayed at why US citizens dont try to embrace Spanish like Canada embraces and recognizes French as being distinct and accomodates bilingualism instead of opposing it. Remeber that there more Hispanics in the USA, then the ENTIRE population of Canada. Americans can't afford to ignore this reality anymore and should learn Spanish whenever they get a chance. More languages can only help, not hurt you in life. Does Miami function differently than NYC, Toronto, Chicago, Washington DC? Yes of course! There is corruption and incompetance at the highest levels but heck, this even happens in Canada! Just look at the HUD scandal out of Washington. Want to see 3rd world? Goto Morocco, Libya, Albania, Zimbabwe. Miami is 3rd world by North American standards but definately not by WORLD standards.

My 2 cents

BTW, anyone making even $50,000/yr there has enough to pay for rent, food and savings. I'll let noone tell me othewise. If a house in the Florida tropics is what you want and are angry that you cant afford it, let me recommend Panama for you at 1/3 of the cost! Yes Americans! Thankfully, there are choices

Old 12-06-2006, 09:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
"Florida was to Americans what America had always been to the rest of the world -- a fresh, free, unspoiled start."
-- The Orchid Thief
Susan Orlean

Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
God only knows some of us need to lose some weight. We have lots of fatties, rich ones included that forgot that we need physical movement...and it wouldn't hurt them to do some yard work from time to time or even clean house. Who says that a paid fancy gym is necessary to burn calories?? I for one and don't have the urgent financial need, but I do feel bloated and fat at times...and in those times, I tell my husband "ok...today I'm cutting the yard for the workout ..." when I finish, I shower and feel grrreat!!
What's happened to us? Have we become like porcelain dolls that are going to break, that can't do some free old fashioned healthy home workouts? That even save us money in the long haul? Why do our kids have to be behind Nintendo games, getting obese, getting diabetes at such tender ages instead of going out getting some sunshine, getting dirty and helping parents in the yard, doing dishes, bringing in heavy grocery bags, like we did??? Even more so now, that it's harder for parents to make it, with all that has to be done, stress, etc. I don't hold it against my parents for teaching me stuff, I thank them. It builds strength and character, something that apparently is being lost. I for one...had a fab time running in the yard playing hide'n seek -getting down & dirty even w/the neighborhood boys and yes getting a bruise or two along the way & helping my parents - it didn't kill me, all the contrary - it made me strong and a very physically strong woman at that. Our ancestors are probably rolling in their graves if they see what we've become...and after all they sacrificed, for what? We need to re-evaluate ourselves, change, do what's important/ good for all of us in the long run. If anybody can't remember where they came from, it's ok...I'll tell you, the only thing that matters is that you are made up of strong genes and this strong unseen material is in all of us living here, no matter what we look like - so let's reactivate it! Come on America, ...we can do it!!
This is why we need room for homes and not live in condos. If there's no room we need less people. I have never hired anyone to do anything at my home, and do not plan to. It's not hard to trim trees, cut grass or do anything, especially with the right tools. I used to cut the grass as a kid, it's rare to see that now.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lightbulb Demographics

Demographics of Florida (csv)
By race White Black AIAN Asian NHPI
AIAN is American Indian or Alaskan Native - NHPI is Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
2000 (total population) 82.45% 15.66% 0.75% 2.11% 0.16%
2000 (Hispanic only) 15.94% 0.74% 0.14% 0.09% 0.03%
2005 (total population) 81.47% 16.31% 0.84% 2.52% 0.18%
2005 (Hispanic only) 18.48% 0.87% 0.21% 0.11% 0.04%
Growth 2000-2005 (total population) 9.99% 15.93% 23.95% 33.09% 29.08%
Growth 2000-2005 (non-Hispanic only) 5.43% 15.23% 15.67% 32.55% 24.49%
Growth 2000-2005 (Hispanic only) 28.99% 29.93% 58.98% 45.89% 45.66%

The largest reported ancestries in the 2000 Census were German (11.8%), Irish (10.3%), English (9.2%), American (8%) and Italian (6.3%).[12]

Ten largest cities in Florida
City 2000 2005
Jacksonville 735,617 782,623
Miami 362,470 386,614
Tampa 303,447 325,989
St. Petersburg 248,232 249,079
Hialeah 226,419 220,485
Orlando 185,951 213,223
Ft. Lauderdale 152,397 170,824
Tallahassee 150,624 158,500
Pembroke Pines 137,427 150,685
Hollywood 139,357 146,687

Before the American Civil War, when slavery was legal, and during the Reconstruction era that followed, African Americans made up nearly half of the state's population.[3] Their proportion declined over the next century, as many moved north in the Great Migration while large numbers of northern whites moved to the state. Recently, the state's proportion of black residents has begun to grow again. Today, large concentrations of black residents can be found in northern Florida (notably in Jacksonville, Gainesville and Pensacola), the Tampa Bay area, and South Florida (where their numbers have been bolstered by significant immigration from Haiti and Jamaica).

Florida's Hispanic population includes large communities of Cuban Americans in Miami and Tampa, Puerto Ricans in Tampa and Orlando, and Central American migrant workers in inland West-Central and South Florida. The Hispanic community continues to grow more affluent and mobile: between the years of 2000 and 2004, Lee County in southwest Florida, which is largely suburban in character, had the fastest Hispanic population growth rate of any county in the United States.[13]

Whites of all ethnicities are present in all areas of the state. Those of British ancestry are present in large numbers in the coastal cities. There is a large German population in Southwest Florida, a sizeable and historic Italian community in the Miami area, and white Floridians of longer-present generations in the culturally southern areas of inland and northern Florida. Native white Floridians, especially those who have descended from long-time Florida families, affectionately referred to themselves as "Florida Crackers."

Persons from Florida are known properly as "Floridians" or as "Floridans".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration