Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Is there anything we can do to stop this spread?
I think it's going to take us- "we the people" to put ALOT of pressure on each of our own cities/towns to get the change started. We've seen success in Hazelton PA and other towns have been following suit. Basically if the big government is unwilling to stop this, WE will have to do it ourselves.

Also I'm finding most people I talk to about it, don't understand ANYTHING. They just hear the human interest stories and think we should help them escape their terrible lives in Mexico and we (the country) need them to work here. They totally buy the old line "they're doing jobs Americans won't". But once you get them to see what is happening and understand what's happening in CA and other parts overrun with these illegals, they are really shocked, then begin to really think about the growing numbers they are seeing here. If you can get people to SEE it, many eventually realize how serious this is to our future.

It's going to take educating the people and pressuring the city councel members.

And voting out the sympathizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Sadly it looks like only another great depression will wake people up to the damage done in the last 20 years. I am thankful that there are some of us who agree that this illegal flow of aliens has to stop. I feel sorry for those who are suffering in poor countries but if i had my way we would find a way to reform their corrupt governments instead of providing sanctuary for economic refugees.

Another thing I learned from hurricanes, when no one else is around to help, people will help themself and sometimes even others. There is no job an American citizen can't do with the right incentice. Isn't it sickening how much CEO's make today compared to decades ago? "Had the minimum wage risen as fast as CEO compensation since 1990, researchers calculated, it would now be $23.03 an hour instead of just $5.15. And the average production worker would be making $110,126 a year instead of $27,460" This is why things are out of whack. And these greedy CEO's are so cheap that they want to hire illegals? There is clearly a lot wrong with the contry we live in.

Too bad it's impossible to build a consensus and take back what we have lost. So many Americans are in denial. I feel sad every time I see a group of foreign born workers cutting grass or cleaning up debris for low pay. Come on, we can do better for our people and set an example for the rest of the world, can't we?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,705 times
Well, I've only been to South Florida a couple times, but I can share an experience. My aunt lives in Sunshine, FL. She went to Publix with her boyfriend. I guess it was raining, but she drove through a puddle and was kind of speeding, and got water all over a man. She came back and said sorry, but he just looked at her (as she said). Anyways, she came out of Publix, and the guy she had gotten wet was with a group of other people and he threw a brick at the back window of her car! Now I mean if she just drove off I could understand, but she did say sorry.

It is also good to know that Miami has the worst road rage of any city inthe U.S.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
That's why I often dress raggedy, drive a rusted out conchmobile and walk around quickly with a mean face and my hand in my pocket. Miami is a breeding ground for anger and frustration. On the other hand here's a solution to the supposed worker shortage, automation!

http://www.mousevids.com/mv/view.asp...96994853601428

Mine's much more sophisticated, but it's nice to see that even in the 50's they had solutions to the labor problem. Isn't this better than paying someone else to do it? Also saves fuel as it takes double to get a service to do because they have to drive from job to job.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Christain, your posts are great. Give America back to the people that want to live here. It's mostly people that come from third world Caribbean countries that destroy the quality of life here in the U.S. My brother is dating a girl from Czechoslovakia that loves America. And she doesn't have her native country flag displayed in the rear view mirror of her car like people from PR do!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Lightbulb so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Sadly it looks like only another great depression will wake people up to the damage done in the last 20 years. I am thankful that there are some of us who agree that this illegal flow of aliens has to stop. I feel sorry for those who are suffering in poor countries but if i had my way we would find a way to reform their corrupt governments instead of providing sanctuary for economic refugees.

Another thing I learned from hurricanes, when no one else is around to help, people will help themself and sometimes even others. There is no job an American citizen can't do with the right incentice. Isn't it sickening how much CEO's make today compared to decades ago? "Had the minimum wage risen as fast as CEO compensation since 1990, researchers calculated, it would now be $23.03 an hour instead of just $5.15. And the average production worker would be making $110,126 a year instead of $27,460" This is why things are out of whack. And these greedy CEO's are so cheap that they want to hire illegals? There is clearly a lot wrong with the contry we live in.

Too bad it's impossible to build a consensus and take back what we have lost. So many Americans are in denial. I feel sad every time I see a group of foreign born workers cutting grass or cleaning up debris for low pay. Come on, we can do better for our people and set an example for the rest of the world, can't we?
True- and people are in denial. This used to be the greatest country. What has happened?.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
True- and people are in denial. This used to be the greatest country. What has happened?.
Corporate greed and a lust for the bottom line, despite its detriment to the people and the burden to our society. F&^%in' *****H0Les

Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 PM

kdizzle- so true. Everything about the greed issue. People are content to shop at Walmart to save 2.00; in 10 years kids graduating from college will have no decent jobs. People only see TODAY- what can we do about the illegal issue- it is clearly at the boiling point, as another thread mentioned. What can the ordinary Amrican citizen do? Boycott is a nice idea- but when will anyone in Wawshington listen?.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 PM

NO free health care, etc for them. It's quite an adjustment! I've traveled to many countries, and its the same everywhere... every man for himself, sink or swim, etc. It is the same way in cold Canada. I'm dismayed at why US citizens dont try to embrace Spanish like Canada embraces and recognizes French as being distinct and accomodates bilingualism instead of opposing it. Remeber that there more Hispanics in the USA, then the ENTIRE population of Canada. Americans can't afford to ignore this reality anymore and should learn Spanish whenever they get a chance.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM

328 posts, read 239,837 times
Thumbs down Simple response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Remeber that there more Hispanics in the USA, then the ENTIRE population of Canada. Americans can't afford to ignore this reality anymore and should learn Spanish whenever they get a chance.
And it would help if people remember that the Hispanics are in the United States of America and our principle language is English. My husband had a totally Hispanic Spanish-speaking janitorial crew and it was a nightmare. By the way, because of his company and the racial lawsuit fears, he wasn't able to do anything about it. To me, THAT is wrong. Yes, it would have been easier if he had learned Spanish, but why should he have to learn Spanish in a predominantly English-speaking country? I've had a few years of Spanish, but in San Antonio it didn't help me all that much...I learned proper Spanish and in San Antonio, many people spoke Tex-Mex.

I think all children should learn two languages...it's very beneficial. However, it is imperative that someone who immigrates to our country is able to communicate with the people who live here. Isn't that common sense? I don't want to take anything away from their culture...I love the Hispanic culture and have learned a lot from it.

I'm mostly Norwegian...if I had immigrated to Minnesota as my ancestors had and insisted that schools teach subjects in Norwegian for the thousands who came from Norway, it would be ridiculous.

What's wrong with people immigrating here and learning the English language as our ancestors did?

Last edited by Kimbercuddles; 01-04-2007 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: mentally blonde
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration