U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 PM

211 posts, read 219,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I think all children should learn two languages...it's very beneficial.
And lets remember it is one thing to learn another language to go explore another country and language... It's quite another to be forced to learn a language because of a country's poor immigration policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 AM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
NO free health care, etc for them. It's quite an adjustment! I've traveled to many countries, and its the same everywhere... every man for himself, sink or swim, etc. It is the same way in cold Canada. I'm dismayed at why US citizens dont try to embrace Spanish like Canada embraces and recognizes French as being distinct and accomodates bilingualism instead of opposing it. Remeber that there more Hispanics in the USA, then the ENTIRE population of Canada. Americans can't afford to ignore this reality anymore and should learn Spanish whenever they get a chance.
Okay everyone, I think it's time for a history lesson . The Canadians didn't embrace French the way Americans are being prodded into embracing Spanish. The French settled Canada long before the Brits and there was a very large French community there. Rather than embrace it, they tolerated it. But, there's also a great number of people that want a free Quebec--because the cultural divide is so great between them and there English speaking countrymen. A bilingual society will cost us not only socially or culturally, but economically as well.

Also, on the note of healthcare. If you are a poor American, you qualify for free healthcare, it's called Medicaid. I work in healthcare and I can't tell you how many illegals we have in that have no insurance and the state government and hospital have to absorb the cost--NOT the patients. Why do you think so many hospitals have been closing due to immigration. If we stop embracing illegals' culture, language, and poverty, then maybe 10% of Mexico's population will return to it's home country. Maybe they'll even get the satellite navigation systems that Mexico is going to be giving out to illegals next month in order to find their way back home.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 PM

23 posts, read 85,766 times
I agree. I lived in South Florida on and off for 20+ years (Boca Raton). There are good and bad everywhere.

A good percentage of the citizens in South Florida are ex-New York/NJ/Philadelphia/CT transplants who still think they are driving on the LIE or BQE (worst drivers next to Washington DC in the USA) and do not have any class when they ar behind the wheel. I would drive that way too if I grew up in a polluted, congested, and stressed out place like NY or NJ!

Although they may seem rude on the surface the ex-NY/NJ transplants that live in South Florida are loyal, kind, and hardworking Americans that are just rough around the edges (their accents are hard too, right?)

Old 03-31-2007, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,223 times
Default from someone who has been everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I don't know what his definition of third world country is supposed to mean. There is a very diversity of cultures and a lot of crime for sure, but you can't tie it to any one culture. In fact, I have lived in south Florida for 55 years. Before the Cubans came there was many areas where you just didn't go. Because they were the new minority and mostly poor they ended up in those areas.

Fast forward to today and those areas have business nice houses and are nothing like it was before they came. They have been a great improvement and an asset to Miami, contrary to what many think who haven't been here long enough to know the difference. As for Boca, it is very upscale and a world away from Miami. It is probably between 85 and 90% white non Hispanic if that is important to you.
Miami definitely has an economy ten times larger than Boca Raton will ever have. At the same time, Boca Raton has been known to be the "scam capital of the world". It also has a population of people from NY of specific ethnic backgrounds that have obtained their economic mobility and wealth from fraud, corruption and organized crime. This is not too difficult to see. Just go to the local supermarket in Boca. You will see a great number of 70+ (year olds) people with tacky cosmetic surgery. These people are so unsophisicated. Trash with money. Plastic Money. "New money" as an Anglo from West Palm Beach once told me!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,223 times
A pretty jet setter recently told me that he was moving away from fort lauderdale because "nothing was happening here". When I asked him how about Miami, he stated that the scene in Miami was one of the best in the world with clubs and restaurants that rivals that of NY's, Paris... "But Fort Lauderdale, there was just nothing happening here."

Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,102,735 times
I have heard bout Boca Raton myself, knew alot of shady people who moved down there, they should of stayed there too. I wouldn't even vacation down there, sorry, but I just won' t feel very safe.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM

197 posts, read 231,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcao111 View Post
A recent coment from a politian suggesting that South Florida is becoming a third world country. Is this true? I'm thinking about taking a job in Boca Raton as a professional but......I'm looking for some advice first.

The statement from this politian seems blunt but is there any truth in it? Could it be that South Florida is full of rude, uneducated, non English speaking immigrants who don't want to assimilate? I had a friend who lived there and said that the people were rude, don't speak English, and just out right uncilvilized. What's the deal in South Florida?

Or, may be this is a politian just playing politics?

Thank you for your feed back. I just think that South Florida is so beautiful and have thought about moving there.

Are anglo neighborhoods the standard of excellence in the US, don't think
so, look closely and you'll see that in the nicest hoods in the US there is usually a mix of races, purely anglo neighborhoods like appalachia, and trailer parks are not very nice, I take south Florida one hundred to one
any day,

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM

43 posts, read 45,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
so, look closely and you'll see that in the nicest hoods in the US there is usually a mix of races, purely anglo neighborhoods like appalachia, and trailer parks are not very nice, I take south Florida one hundred to one
any day,

Very eloquent, agree....

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,997 times
I live here, I'll vouch for that....although "third world country" is a tad extreme.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
any day,
Smile when you say that:

Anymore: a White Anglo Saxon Protestant can be of any race/ethnicity/religion----------WASP is a cultural label like Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or