U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 AM

47,576 posts, read 59,013,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Smile when you say that:

Anymore: a White Anglo Saxon Protestant can be of any race/ethnicity/religion----------WASP is a cultural label like Hispanic.
I think WASP used to be mean someone of English or possibly Dutch ethnicity and of one of the mainstream old Protestant denominations. That's the only way the term had any meaning. Once you start throwing in White Polish, Greek, Irish, Italian, and Catholic, Fundamentalist, Agnostic and so on, the term completely loses any meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,751,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think WASP used to be mean someone of English or possibly Dutch ethnicity and of one of the mainstream old Protestant denominations. That's the only way the term had any meaning. Once you start throwing in White Polish, Greek, Irish, Italian, and Catholic, Fundamentalist, Agnostic and so on, the term completely loses any meaning.
Point taken.

In my eyes at least: a 'WASP' is the cultural analog to a Hispanic who can be of any race/ethnicity-----------despite the veiled denials of the la raza types.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 AM

23,654 posts, read 31,395,050 times
Quote:
Point taken.

In my eyes at least: a 'WASP' is the cultural analog to a Hispanic who can be of any race/ethnicity-----------despite the veiled denials of the la raza types.
I would bristle at being called a WASP since my heritage is German, French, Polish, and 100% Jewish on both sides.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I would bristle at being called a WASP since my heritage is German, French, Polish, and 100% Jewish on both sides.
Well; I am of half Hungarian heritage and I self identify as a WASP--------despite my being a Unitarian Witch

Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM

197 posts, read 232,467 times
Quote:
Well; I am of half Hungarian heritage and I self identify as a WASP--------despite my being a Unitarian Witch

You may identify yourself as a black, native american, or the ethnicity you wish, the reality however is that you are eastern european ancestry, likely with a lot of middle eastern and gipsy heritage.....LOL..

Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
You may identify yourself as a black, native american, or the ethnicity you wish, the reality however is that you are eastern european ancestry, likely with a lot of middle eastern and gipsy heritage.....LOL..
And an ethnic Japanese person born/raised in Peru is a Hispanic; the former president there was Alberto Fujimori-------------so what is your point?

I self identify as a WASP: your opinions of how I perceive myself are of no importance.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
And an ethnic Japanese person born/raised in Peru is a Hispanic; the former president there was Alberto Fujimori-------------so what is your point?

I self identify as a WASP: your opinions of how I perceive myself are of no importance.

Well, I think you answered your own question....

Old 06-14-2009, 11:47 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,323,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Well, I think you answered your own question....

Old 06-14-2009, 01:39 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,967,592 times
Florida is pretty much a hispanic state........like Texas.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Florida is pretty much a hispanic state........like Texas.

you bet; like TX, CA, FL, NY, IL, MA, CT, ETC..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or