U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times

Advertisements

Oh yes and they will do such a good job running it, as they have with their current nations. Well we already have the third world mentality in Washington DC so why not? When does the USA reach it's population limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 12:19 AM

12 posts, read 32,000 times
Default South Florida, is a Third World Country

Jca:

This politician is telling the truth, nothing but the truth. Some posters are trying to encourage you to move down here because most of them are Real Estate Agents(the best job in South Florida), they want to either sell or rent you a property to make some money out of you, and then drop you dead.

I moved to South Florida in 2004 with 2 graduate degrees including an MBA and a great work experience. Now I am working in a small hotel for $ 9.00/hr as a front desk clerk with no health insurance or paid benefits. I have to work 80 hrs/week to pay my bills. The electricity bill is VERY HIGH in here. Everything you need to cook is ELECTRICITY.
Many people never travel to see a third world country, so they do not know what is a third world country. Florida met the standard of a third world country in all aspects. For example what characterized a third world country mostly is the disparity in wealth between the wealthy and the poor. Here in Florida the high class (5%) has 95% of the wealth while 95% of the population(Poor middle class) has about 5% of the wealth of the state. This is enough to qualify Florida as a third world country. Now what about jobs? I have seen professionals from New York and other states working down here as gate house security guards for $ 7.50/hr with no benefits. believe me, 40 hrs of this job will not pay your bills down here. You can take the job in Boca, but make sure your boss is not Hispanic, because one day he/she will change the job description/requirements on you and request that you speak Spanish, if you don't, you'll be gone, It happened to me last December, my boss was Cuban. Now, I will be moving out of South Florida pretty soon.

Good luck my friend. Hope you will have time to see the beauty of South Florida.
...But this politician is telling the truth. He should be awarded for telling the truth about Florida.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:51 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,150,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvice View Post
Jca:

I moved to South Florida in 2004 with 2 graduate degrees including an MBA
In other words, you received a high school diploma, so what?

Quote:
Jca: and a great work experience.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Jca:Now I am working in a small hotel for $ 9.00/hr as a front desk clerk
So you moved to southern Florida where there are no good-paying jobs, apparently, in your field of experience, why?

Quote:
Jca:with no health insurance or paid benefits.
So for a few generations, several million relatively isolated and coddled US and European workers enjoyed such things as health insurance, pension, and paid benefits.

The days of Euro/American middle-class exceptionalism, a relatively brief historical phenomenon looking back and looking ahead, are coming to a close.

Welcome, wide-awake, to worldwide planet earth of the seven billion and counting, reaching, grasping, struggling, jostling, for that same level of exceptionalism.

We are all meeting somewhere in the lower end of some mediocre middle, on a much different (downward) standard and level from that which the "golden-age" middle class of Europe and the US had come to know for a few brief decades in the mid-to-late Twentieth Century, a mere footnote in the long and tired history of humanity. So what?

There will be enough demand at the global level to keep the industrial system - only about two hundred years old - going, just like agriculture has been going for some ten thousand years now basically without interruption, despite the vagaries of social, cultural, and political stagnation and revolution.

Last edited by bale002; 12-04-2006 at 03:14 AM..

Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Default Hi MTvice-

Quote:
Jca:

This politician is telling the truth, nothing but the truth. Some posters are trying to encourage you to move down here because most of them are Real Estate Agents(the best job in South Florida), they want to either sell or rent you a property to make some money out of you, and then drop you dead.

I moved to South Florida in 2004 with 2 graduate degrees including an MBA and a great work experience. Now I am working in a small hotel for $ 9.00/hr as a front desk clerk with no health insurance or paid benefits. I have to work 80 hrs/week to pay my bills. The electricity bill is VERY HIGH in here. Everything you need to cook is ELECTRICITY.
Many people never travel to see a third world country, so they do not know what is a third world country. Florida met the standard of a third world country in all aspects. For example what characterized a third world country mostly is the disparity in wealth between the wealthy and the poor. Here in Florida the high class (5%) has 95% of the wealth while 95% of the population(Poor middle class) has about 5% of the wealth of the state. This is enough to qualify Florida as a third world country. Now what about jobs? I have seen professionals from New York and other states working down here as gate house security guards for $ 7.50/hr with no benefits. believe me, 40 hrs of this job will not pay your bills down here. You can take the job in Boca, but make sure your boss is not Hispanic, because one day he/she will change the job description/requirements on you and request that you speak Spanish, if you don't, you'll be gone, It happened to me last December, my boss was Cuban. Now, I will be moving out of South Florida pretty soon.

Good luck my friend. Hope you will have time to see the beauty of South Florida.
...But this politician is telling the truth. He should be awarded for telling the truth about Florida.
I can relate- A gate security guard-lol. My neighbor in Boca had his MBA from Stanford and used to work for Solomon Bros in NY- (6 figure income-15 yrs experience) he moved to So FL- bought his million dollar house in Broken Sound, and had his own car/repair business on the side (Car repair is big in So Fl- no mass transit- as anyone will find out if they break down on The Florida Tpke-lol)- he was realistic, knew the situation there- his house was home invaded and then he had some issues w/Cubans and insurance fraud- to make a long story short he moved (the fifth set of neighbors we had in 6 years) He didnt want his 3 year old growing up in South Florida.

Also- anyone who thinks they are safe if their car breaks down is delusional -In NY people may not help you, but you don't worry about being knifed while waiting for AA safely - people have been raped/mugged on the Fl Tpke. I was rear-ended on Rte 441 by an illegal- (I was at a stop light) It was 100% his fault, and the police arrested him. He totaled my car- 3 years later, the insurance repaired my car and sold it (UA based in Miami) they owe me 7500.00 and I will not get it back unless I take them to court.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
Also a friend or ours married someone from Atlanta. They moved to Miami and it wasn't long before she started complaining about it. Unfortunately despite living in a good neighborhood (Coral Gables) while walking down their dog, shen was run over by a hit and run driver, most likely an illegal. She died and he had a breakdown and after a run of drinking and illness went back to Georgia.

I know a lot of people who moved down to my area with stars in their eyse only to go home clobbered and seeing stars. South Florida has become a harsh uncaring place. Why when helping my parents cut dead branches out of a tree the Cuban lady in the neighboring house comes out to look at me while her dogs bark away. She says "sick em" and closes the door. Hopefully this is a joke or when my parents move I will be renting that house to a nice "section 8" family. Hopefully single mom with 10 rowdy kids. Miami takes selfishness to a whole new level and stupididy to places it has rarely been before.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Also a friend or ours married someone from Atlanta. They moved to Miami and it wasn't long before she started complaining about it. Unfortunately despite living in a good neighborhood (Coral Gables) while walking down their dog, shen was run over by a hit and run driver, most likely an illegal. She died and he had a breakdown and after a run of drinking and illness went back to Georgia.

I know a lot of people who moved down to my area with stars in their eyse only to go home clobbered and seeing stars. South Florida has become a harsh uncaring place. Why when helping my parents cut dead branches out of a tree the Cuban lady in the neighboring house comes out to look at me while her dogs bark away. She says "sick em" and closes the door. Hopefully this is a joke or when my parents move I will be renting that house to a nice "section 8" family. Hopefully single mom with 10 rowdy kids. Miami takes selfishness to a whole new level and stupididy to places it has rarely been before.
wow- that's like sheer hatred. I worked for a PI atty in Hollywood- he became PI because his wife was murdered during a carjacking in Bal Harbour- Her son was three years old, and traumatized. What a nightmare.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM

566 posts, read 1,838,771 times
My, my....

Well, go to Boca there are many affluent nice places there. If you have the chance please do visit Miami as there are many nice neighborhoods here, too. No, no...not everyone is going to want to knock you over the head and rob you.
Yes, there is some truth to that statement in the language sense & has become the capital/Riviera of Latin America. But did he mean it in the sense that it's poor, with people begging in shards of burlap clothing everywhere ready to jump on you to even take your sunglasses or even your $15 Timex watch? nahh...it's has become a big metropolitan city with the good & the bad like anywhere else in the world. I was born here & in all my life have never been robbed, cars never got stolen, nor have I seen what crack is...yeah, of course it's here (& all drugs, too) somewhere but not everywhere - it all depends where you go or whom you associate with. All common sense.
You know, I walk thru a dark alley way with my pooch every single day late at night & nothing has ever happened to me. Though, common sense rules my life...I don't become a victim because I think of what a thief wants so I act accordingly and I try stay away from bigger crime areas and that come in any color groups. When living in a big city anywhere in the world one has to learn their areas and become "aware".
I, however have to be honest & these things can happen .. I do have a family member that was mugged here and guess what (she was wearing all sorts of jewelry and one of those LV purses)? He wasn't a hispanic, latino, or even a black person...it was a really white drugged male w/green eyes and tatoo's that wasn't even from Miami - so you really never know whose who anywhere on this planet. Nor can one hear spanish & assume that they are illegal's. Why are people thinking this way?? Is it CNN or FOX that has become our bible now? With images of every spanish speaking person crossing a river? One can never be too quick too judge by appearances/or languages cause that seemingly trusting person to you might be the bad guy, look at Bundy!....and the so called minorities might just be the one to save you! ahhh...come on, I think at this day and age we should know that the covering of someone is like a cover on a book, and only that. Like the old saying goes that our grandma's use to use over & over..."you can't judge a book by it's cover..." what happened to that saying?????? Have we forgotten & become so blind? I truly feel we need a pre-requisite in school in every grade that evolves into more and more history education...something like " U.S. immigration & it's people".....to learn and to pound in kids minds that we all came from someplace else, if not more hatred & ignorance will spew out of schools and yes, not just white America.... as biggots come in all colors, too.
I had a little 4 yr. old black girl 4 yrs ago tell me don't you smile at me/nor touch me you white woman!!!!!! When I was trying to play with her. Who taught this innocent being this?? I think my heart collapsed, a flash of history flashed & I gulped and kept walking... though I can never forget that that little girl only saw a white face and not me, I get tears just thinking about that incident. She is a product of all that's gone on here. In a way I can't blame her as our ancestors did lots of harm, but for her parents to not reverse this and harm her this way is just inexcuseable. Kids are not born this way and emotions can be reversed if we try - for the future & emotional well being of any child.
Well, back to the spanish in all Miami...yep, there is lots of spanish spoken here, so I can see that it has become a 3rd world place to some in that sense, even I feel that way at times w/citizenship papers in different languages and the majority not learning English cause it's become way too easy for them & it ticks me off at times.... but to compare it in the sense that it's ALL a pitstop it's not true. There are 3rd world places that don't speak spanish & then there are many places in Latin America that do speak spanish that have quite affluent neighborhoods that I myself wouldn't mind living there, nor anyone of us on this board, even that politician - you should see some of these homes! They are like old world castles and they've got many maids, cooks & all! Who wouldn't want to live like that?? It's like being in many lovely estates in Europe - because many of those are descendants of Europeans & built by them. Look at the commies...they all want these places and are happily succeeding, gee I wonder why? Could it be...that their might be rich stuff to loot??? Of course.

All in all...I think his statement was a little close minded & a wee bit ignorant. Am I communicating to you in spanish?? It proves that not all of us are the same here. So please come visit again and if you think it's beautiful, it says a lot & really that's all that matters... your opinion. Join us!

Last edited by lulu; 12-04-2006 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 AM

ohh...and I'd like to add that I have expressed in the past about moving away from here but it's because I am more afraid of the politicians and not doing anything for our insurance/tax crises than any drug, crime or the different colored faces walking around here. When my husband retires...there is no way we can keep our way of living the way it is due to the inefficiency of these guys doing something for their people. So, is it really the atmosphere of the humans breathing here or is the root of any of the problems going on the politicians mistakes. Like not enforcing English, high taxes, insurance crisis, controlling migration which is in their power and only their power - if they don't like it, well whose to blame for letting it happen? Us?? The little ole hardworking taxpayer? Yeah, sure... seems to me they are diverting our attention from the real issues at hand and justifying their laziness by making us focus elsewhere - political acting. I'm more scared of them then hurricanes. Anyway, one has to be the judge & decide for oneself...

Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM

243 posts, read 993,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Oh and if you have time, take a Spanish class. Lots of people don't speak English. I mean the vast majority don't speak English or they only speak the very basic. I am not just talking illegals, I am talking folks that were born and raise din Miami too.

And be careful. If someone calls you a "gringo", that means a 'cracker' and that is an offensive/aggressive term.

If you feel in danger, you can always run. I am not joking.

Chris, you need to take some self-defense classes and get your confidence up to face the real world.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM

This is the real truth...sometimes, I may use a word and end up looking like a foul mouthed person to some or vice-versa. Just yesterday a gal was speaking to me from God knows where and I swear the only thing I understood was her two last words...I was so confused I just nodded like I understood, smiled & said goodbye...and that was that. So, not all hispanics use the same words with the same meaning, even their accents are all different which makes things complicated...there are differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or