U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 817,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Are illegal immigrants counted in census data? This I never knew, but if they are not, then do you think that the number of hispanic births will drop significantly compared to other races?
I have a friend who's Grexicana as well . However, Census say Hispanics will be 1/4 of the population will be Hispanic by 2050. Does this include half-breeds such as yourself? I have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:51 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I have a friend who's Grexicana as well . However, Census say Hispanics will be 1/4 of the population will be Hispanic by 2050. Does this include half-breeds such as yourself? I have no clue.
Half-breed?

There is no Mexican 'race'----------it is a political label only.

Mitt Romney would be a 'half-breed' as well; his father, George Romney, was born/raised in Chihuahua, Mx

Besides: Argentina, which is also a Hispanic country is about 97% White, racially speaking----------it is more 'White' than any other country in the New World.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:05 PM

164 posts, read 463,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Half-breed?

There is no Mexican 'race'----------it is a political label only.

Mitt Romney would be a 'half-breed' as well; his father, George Romney, was born/raised in Chihuahua, Mx

Besides: Argentina, which is also a Hispanic country is about 97% White, racially speaking----------it is more 'White' than any other country in the New World.
True enough. The actual US Census site breaks out Hispanics as: "Hispanic or Latino (of any race)". Notice they don't say "Mexican" as that is a country of origin, not a race.

Speaking of the Census, you can easily find the eact demographics for any area in the country.

Add
http://
to the following url
factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en

Then enter in your ZIP code, or the name of your City, County or State in the box near the top left. When you get the demographic breakdown of your area of interest, be sure to click on the "map" link next to the facts. Then you can zoom in and even see the break down of info into neighborhood units. Also click the "More info" link next to the major categories.

----
Some interesting facts I learned about the ZIP code I work in:

ZIP code where I work:
Year 2000 Census

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS
Total population = 58,329
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) = 88.5%

SOCIAL CHARACTERISTICS -

Population 25 years and over who are:
High school graduate or higher = 30.2% (USA average = 80.4%)
Bachelor's degree or higher = 5.5% (USA average = 24.4%)
Foreign born = 59.5% (USA average = 11.1%)

Population 5 years and over who:
Speak a language other than English at home = 86.9%

(show more Social Characterisitics)

Population 25 years and over with Educational Attainment of:
Less than 9th grade = 48.1%
9th to 12th grade, no diploma = 21.7%

NATIVITY AND PLACE OF BIRTH

Born in the United States = 39.9
Foreign born population = 59.5%
Naturalized citizen = 8.2%
Not a citizen = 51.2%
Foreign born who entered between 1990 to March 2000 = 28.2%

REGION OF BIRTH OF FOREIGN BORN
Total (excluding born at sea) = 34,700
Latin American born = 96.5%

LANGUAGE SPOKEN AT HOME
(Population 5 years and over)
Who speak English only = 13.1%
Who Speak English less than 'very well' (total population) = 61.5%
Speak Spanish at home = 83.9%
Spanish speakers who speak English less than 'very well' = 59.6%
Asian and Pacific Island speakers who speak English less than 'very well' = 1.7%

ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS
In labor force (population 16 years and over) = 57.9%
Individuals below poverty level = 26.4%
Per capita income in 1999 (dollars) = $9,482

Old 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
The question I pose to Arizonians - how will the new law shift the demographics in Arizona?

Obviously, the new laws have removed a significant portion of the illegal (and even some legal residents who feel uncomfortable with the laws) Hispanic population, who make up the majority of illegal immigrants. What do you predict the 2010 census will show for Arizona? A greater reduction in Hispanic residents? No change? An increase despite the law?

Awaiting responses.

I don't live in Arizona, I live in Southern California. I betcha' that Arizona's laws will increase California's population of foreign born, non-citizen Hispanics in the ZIP codes that I work in!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the demographic numbers for the upcoming census! I know the city where I live in certainly has a higher population of non-English speaking Hispanic people since the year 2000 census. I'm not sayin' that's a bad thing though. Oh no!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
This part says a LOT!

Not a citizen = 51.2% (most likely resident aliens?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the year 2010 the US Census needs to do a FULL ENUMERATION OF EVERY SINGLE LIVING BODY WITHIN THIS NATION. PERIOD!

We need to know what we're working with here and what our future population will need.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM

1,268 posts, read 817,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
This part says a LOT!

Not a citizen = 51.2% (most likely resident aliens?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the year 2010 the US Census needs to do a FULL ENUMERATION OF EVERY SINGLE LIVING BODY WITHIN THIS NATION. PERIOD!

We need to know what we're working with here and what our future population will need.
Are you a Xenophobe?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Are you a Xenophobe?
Quote:
Are you a Xenophobe?
I would have to say that there are probably far more xenophobics than racists in our country. However, I don't know that you can accurately say someone who thinks a particular statistic about foreigners in their own country is "telling" or interesting is a xenophobe.

I think there are a great many people around the world who just prefer to live with people of their own "culture", who value the same things and speak the same language. They are just more comfortable. That's why people who immigrate to new countries often gather in groups, form clubs, and even live in certain areas. Hence, the ever greater numbers of foreign-born Hispanics who live in the ZIP code where I work.

"Birds of a feather flock together," as the saying goes.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,015,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Schroeder View Post
Wishing to know how well the different cultures get along when hangen out together. Since race doesn't bother me but negative assumptions when meeting people gets old. Since the uncomfertable process of always being considered first stuck up and conceded then to neard then to comfertable conversation has gotten old for me in atlanta. and could I reassure with truth that my black girlfrind would not have to deal with that type of problem, but of course with typical different assumtions in Pheonix that would make Pheonix get old for her.

Huh????????????????

Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
I think there are a great many people around the world who just prefer to live with people of their own "culture", who value the same things and speak the same language. They are just more comfortable. That's why people who immigrate to new countries often gather in groups, form clubs, and even live in certain areas. Hence, the ever greater numbers of foreign-born Hispanics who live in the ZIP code where I work.

"Birds of a feather flock together," as the saying goes.
Very true.

With the notable exception of English, Irish, Australian, etc. people (of any race); most immigrants to the USA (or any other country) tend to stick with their own kind for at least the first generation. The first US Born generation tend to branch out though due to their general knowledge of fluent Enlish and social mores.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM

18,946 posts, read 21,929,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Very true.

With the notable exception of English, Irish, Australian, etc. people (of any race); most immigrants to the USA (or any other country) tend to stick with their own kind for at least the first generation. The first US Born generation tend to branch out though due to their general knowledge of fluent Enlish and social mores.
Yes indeed.
That's how the various Chinatown's, Little Italies, etc scattered around the country got their start - and once started, such areas usually continue to attract newcomers from those various countries.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or