Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:33 PM

346 posts, read 707,100 times

Advertisements

Long time browser, first time poster. And despite my father's mexican heritage, I am greatly opposed to illegal immigration, but that is a matter for another topic.

As you all know, Arizona has enacted laws to greatly reduce the number of illegal immigrants who have flooded into their state. From what I've read from some posters here, it seems to have worked pretty well.

The question I pose to Arizonians - how will the new law shift the demographics in Arizona?

I present to you some statistics from wikipedia.org:
------------
Arizona is projected to become a minority-majority state by the year 2035, if current population growth trends continue. In 2003, for the first time, there were more Hispanic births in the state than white(non-Hispanic) births.
According to U.S. Census estimates, Arizona's population is: 63% White American, 2.9% African American, 1.9% Asian American, 1.7% mixed, and 25.9% are Hispanics or latino (of any race).
-------------

Obviously, the new laws have removed a significant portion of the illegal (and even some legal residents who feel uncomfortable with the laws) Hispanic population, who make up the majority of illegal immigrants. What do you predict the 2010 census will show for Arizona? A greater reduction in Hispanic residents? No change? An increase despite the law?

My prediction: Even though I do not live in Arizona, I see the PERCENTAGE population as remaining rather similar to the 2000 census, in the range of 26%. For all those illegals who left, the legal residents who remain should replace them with their children born after 2000. Had the law never been enacted, the percentage would have been MUCH higher. Of course, I do not live in Arizona, so this is more just a shot in the dark.

Awaiting responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,097,563 times
The avg age for hispanic immigrants anywhere in the country is 18 to 25 y/o vs 40 something for white Americans. Simple math says most Hispanic immigrants are still in their prime reproductive years. Were being displaced and were expected to celebrate. I dont think so.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,006,628 times
Remember though that the illegal Hispanics are fleeing Arizona in droves.

Many Americans of Mexican heritage are also applauding--------and, some of the most anti illegal Latinos are those folks who immigrated from Mexico to here legally.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM

Are illegal immigrants counted in census data? This I never knew, but if they are not, then do you think that the number of hispanic births will drop significantly compared to other races?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember though that the illegal Hispanics are fleeing Arizona in droves.

Many Americans of Mexican heritage are also applauding--------and, some of the most anti illegal Latinos are those folks who immigrated from Mexico to here legally.
Yes I know many Hispanic Americans who are against illegal immigration. Good point.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM

I'm against it as well. But I'm curious as to how the new law will affect future demographics?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
I'm against it as well. But I'm curious as to how the new law will affect future demographics?
Hard to tell. Illegals are still pouring into Arizona and many employers are finding creative ways to keep employing them without being caught.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Hard to tell. Illegals are still pouring into Arizona and many employers are finding creative ways to keep employing them without being caught.
Pouring into Arizona?

I live here in the Phx area and; if anything, the illegals are becoming thin on the ground.

Unless the ones from Mexico/Central America, etc. are being transported through Arizona by coyotes to other states.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 15,353 times
Wishing to know how well the different cultures get along when hangen out together. Since race doesn't bother me but negative assumptions when meeting people gets old. Since the uncomfertable process of always being considered first stuck up and conceded then to neard then to comfertable conversation has gotten old for me in atlanta. and could I reassure with truth that my black girlfrind would not have to deal with that type of problem, but of course with typical different assumtions in Pheonix that would make Pheonix get old for her.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,230,103 times
Well, I don't know if illegal aliens really are leaving the state or not - but I CAN tell you that many northern baby-boomers are heading to Arizona as we retire

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration