U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
dpc dpc started this thread

29 posts, read 117,978 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know as to whether an EIN is enough to open a U.S. bank account ?
Alternatively, is there somewhere i can contact to see if a EIN number i was given 10 years ago is still valid ?
We are relocating to SoCal in the fall from the U.K. incase you wonder why all the questions.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
Yes and yes.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 AM

Not being a native ( as yet ) is there somewhere i can phone to confirm that i have my number written down correctly ?
Thanks again

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
I think everything you need can be found here...

Employer ID Numbers (EINs)

Old 03-05-2008, 03:51 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc View Post
Alternatively, is there somewhere i can contact to see if a EIN number i was given 10 years ago is still valid ?
We are relocating to SoCal in the fall from the U.K. incase you wonder why all the questions.
Thanks
There is actually no compelling reason for the bank to have your SSN unless you are receiving interest. Then they use your SSN or an ITIN to identify you to the IRS when they issue a 1099-INT (or a 1099-DIV, I suppose, but I'd think that'd be a brokerage account). An EIN is to identify EMPLOYERS only...it's what you'd put on the W-2's of any employees you had...or their 1099-MISC.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc View Post
Thanks

EIN An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a federal tax identification number, and is used to identify a business entity. Refer to Employer ID Numbers for more information.
The following form is available only to employers located in Puerto Rico, Solicitud de Número de Identificación Patronal (EIN) SS-4PR (PDF).
ITIN
An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number "9", formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN).
To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF) . The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the address shown in the Form W-7 Instructions, present it at IRS walk-in offices, or process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS. Form W-7(SP), Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos (PDF) is available for use by Spanish speakers.
Acceptance Agents are entities (colleges, financial institutions, accounting firms, etc.) who are authorized by the IRS to assist applicants in obtaining ITINs. They review the applicant's documentation and forward the completed Form W-7 to IRS for processing.
NOTE: You cannot claim the earned income credit using an ITIN.
Foreign persons who are individuals should apply for a social security number (SSN, if permitted) on Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration, or should apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on Form W-7. Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:
  • Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; and
  • Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.
Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax return (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception.
New W-7/ITIN rules were issued on December 17, 2003. For a summary of those rules, please see the new Form W-7 and its instructions.
For more detailed information on ITINs, refer to:ATIN

Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM

TK and guy, i think i've got the info i need, i spoke to the dept yesterday and they were very helpful and i should be set up pretty soon,

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration