U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,240,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
rightciousness is not a word either.
righteousness

Old 03-07-2008, 02:40 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,309,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
And you know this woman was Mexican HOW? Did she tell you, or did you assume it because she spoke only Spanish, or because of the color of her skin?

Are you guilty of racial profiling?
I'm white, speak Spanish and can pretty much tell you what country a person is from through their Spanish regardless of their skin color. Perhaps this is true for the OP?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM

20,098 posts, read 20,595,029 times
Quote:
Positive stories about immigrants ???

WHY are these stories so special.....people acting like people...they are NOT special because they came from another country and then acted like normal human beings!!!!!!!
I agree WhoMe. Its a lovely story but the statement:

Quote:
That is an example of the humble and gentle character of these lovely people .
I once had my wallet returned after it had flown off the top of my car by a young caucasian citizen. I was very greatful. But thats not to say that is and example of the character of all caucasian citizens. I also had my wallet stolen by a young caucasian citizen.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,047,453 times
Well, 2mares, I hadn't seen this sentence

""That is an example of the humble and gentle character of these lovely people . ""

But it's about as racist and condescending as it can be.....

The wallet story is a great example of what I'm saying, thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:25 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,127,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Telling these stories is racist in itself! It's "Oh, look, an immigrant did something good!"
How condescending!
What about when stories are started with the “oh, look, an immigrant did something bad!”. How is that to be perceived?

Positive stories about immigrants are not condecending unless you believe that certain groups/people are not able act a certain way and am surprised when there is a positive experience. Much like telling positive mother-in-law stories.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
What about when stories are started with the “oh, look, an immigrant did something bad!”. How is that to be perceived?

Positive stories about immigrants are not condecending unless you believe that certain groups/people are not able act a certain way and am surprised when there is a positive experience. Much like telling positive mother-in-law stories.

No, when you think positive stories are necessary... THAT'S condescending and racist.

Returning something someone accidently threw into the trash is hardly remarkable.

When you act like this is remarkable for a certain you are racist.

And yes, bad things that immigrants, legal or not, do, will be noticed. And, they are quite quick to point fingers themselves.

There is NO way the following is NOT racist:

""""That is an example of the humble and gentle character of these lovely people . ""

Old 03-07-2008, 06:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,800,370 times
Quote:
No, when you think positive stories are necessary... THAT'S condescending and racist.

Returning something someone accidently threw into the trash is hardly remarkable.

When you act like this is remarkable for a certain you are racist.

And yes, bad things that immigrants, legal or not, do, will be noticed. And, they are quite quick to point fingers themselves.

There is NO way the following is NOT racist:

""""That is an example of the humble and gentle character of these lovely people . ""
She posted it to prove a point that not all mexicans are criminals. If you read the boards, you will notice ONLY negative things about mexicans and mexico. Try to keep everything she said in context then maybe you won't be so confused about it.

Quote:
So often we read such negative stories about Mexican immigrants , their propensity for crime and indolence. I just thought that I would share this :
My daughter Kelsey who has had a brain tumor constantly loses things. A few months ago, she accidentally threw her cell-phone in the garbage at the mall. One of the workers there (a sweet Mexican woman) searched through the garbage for it , but was unable to locate it. We went home without the cell phone.
Later that night, I received a phone call from the worker. A group of the workers had gone to the OUTSIDE garbage and searched all the bags until one of them found the phone, then this lovely woman called all of the phone numbers on it until she located me.

These are people who literally have nothing and yet they took their time to help a little girl and a mom that they did not even know. I was so touched that I cried . That is an example of the humble and gentle character of these lovely people .

Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM

8,178 posts, read 18,053,042 times
oh, dear. It is so hard to believe that a simple story about someone who had gone out of their way to help my extremely ill daughter and me caused so much hostility. Yes, I do speak Spanish and can recognize people's origins by the idiomatic Spanish that they speak (much the way that people here can identify Southerners or New Yorkers) . Reminding people that part of the heritage of Mexico is to be humble and respectful is NOT racist. It is, in fact, part of their culture.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
She posted it to prove a point that not all mexicans are criminals. If you read the boards, you will notice ONLY negative things about mexicans and mexico. Try to keep everything she said in context then maybe you won't be so confused about it.

I'm confused about nothing. A statement labeling an entire group of people based on their ethnicity or race is racist whether it's derogatory or not.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,800,370 times
Quote:
I'm confused about nothing. A statement labeling an entire group of people based on their ethnicity or race is racist whether it's derogatory or not.
I don't see you complaining when others label mexicans as corrupt etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or