Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times

Advertisements

Across America's orchards and crop fields, a shrinking supply of migrants has already driven pay up faster than in the broader workforce. President Donald Trump's immigration policy may turbocharge that trend.

Wages for U.S. fieldworkers rose 36 percent over the past decade through the conclusion of last year's harvest in October, compared with 27 percent among non-farm employees, government data show. Reducing the supply of labor wouldn't just cause pay gains to accelerate: The Trump administration's expanded deportations for undocumented immigrants could put some growers out of business if the actions aren't accompanied by increases in workers available through legal guest-worker programs.

Deportation policy will drive up farm wages | The Salt Lake Tribune

So wages go UP for legal aliens and Americans? Nothing bad about that. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Yes, in some cases there are already many farmers wondering where they will find workers. The problem is that the younger citizens won't do the work, regardless of pay. In our state,manshortage a few years ago resulted in offers of $25/hour, but those non-hispanics that did come in to work couldn't take it. Many of the farmers will use more automation, others could be up out of business, because some crops have to be picked by hand.

https://qz.com/726667/cheap-robots-a...l-tasks-first/

Washington apple growers scrambling to find workers | The Seattle Times

Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 PM

113 posts, read 56,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, in some cases there are already many farmers wondering where they will find workers. The problem is that the younger citizens won't do the work, regardless of pay. In our state,manshortage a few years ago resulted in offers of $25/hour, but those non-hispanics that did come in to work couldn't take it. Many of the farmers will use more automation, others could be up out of business, because some crops have to be picked by hand.

The only reason most farmers have continued to use farm workers is:

Human labor was cheaper than automation, purchasing or renting heavy farm equipment.

Certain crops still require humans to "hand pick" them, but that will be changing rather quickly, anyway.

I inherited my dad' s farm after his death back in 2013... it has been a "learning curve", but I have forgone the use of human labor via pickers and pursued the use of the heavy farm equipment( of which my father owned) or automation. I have had absolutely no problem finding local farmers, who are American citizens, to do the work. Or I lease out the land to other farmers to "farm" for me and we share the profits per contract.

After my father passed away, they came looking for me, to seek employment, to do the work.....so not one problem finding skilled locals...who have been farming for generations.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Good googlefoo on digging up a 6 year old article on Washington apple farmers.

As the Trump administration eliminates welfare benefits for able bodied folks more people will be lining up saying "I'm the son of an apple picker!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration