U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM

418 posts, read 264,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Puerto Ricans are considered Hispanic and Geraldo/Jerry is Puerto Rican.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. And what would British, French, Japanese and Australian citizens have to say to that? Well, they'd probably say you're playing with a toy that doesn't exist. Life isn't about a game of technicalities, but even if it were - you'd still lose here. I guess I could be the snowman too, right? First off, I'm sure you know that there is little integrity in the term ''Hispanic.'' Race, ethnicity and what ever you want to call is socially constructed by people. Not governments. If the government told you that Jewish people were green or Greeks were purple, would you believe them too?

He's 50%. Nonetheless, is being ''full Hispanic'' a joke, but once you're mixed, you're really beginning to fiddle around with garbage. Even if being ''Hispanic'' existed, what does this have to do with illegal immigration? His father's ancestors were protected under the Jones act since 1917 which gave them citizenship. Technically, they never immigrated to this country. They migrated. Most Latin American descendants didn't come during the early 40's like he did (he was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1943). I'm sure they met a few years before having him too, so he might have even come in the late 30's. That's really early for even most Puerto Rican descendants. Plus, it was obvious that his father could care less for marrying another Puerto Rican, a ''Hispanic'' (something that didn't exist back than, which you probably don't seem to understand), a Catholic or a Christian.

Someone of Italian descent should take illegal immigration more personally. His mother's side of the family should take it more personally. It's because they immigrated to this country. Not migrated. There is no such thing as being ''Hispanic'', so how's he suppose to feel personal about this? He's a multi-millionare who on several occasions has given us the notion that he favors his Jewish side over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,570 times
Geraldo is a scumbag. The sight of him makes blood shoot out of my eye sockets.

Frankly, although I try not to use what I would call hate speech, it's going to go with the territory. The US is deluged with an illegal Mexican tsumani which HAS to be dealt with.

The liberal media keeps coming out with bs sob stories about the poor illegal aliens. People are fed up with it.

I see nothing wrong with my comment, "aww the poor little thing. But wait! Why would an American fear that ICE might come back?" You call that hate speech? What does an American citizen have to fear from ICE?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
How about this:

Let's stop the hate mongering towards hispanics (mainly Mexicans). This means dropping the stereotypes that Latinas have 20 babies, latinos drink beer and drive drunk, steal and rape. Start calling these people what they are: Criminals, not Hispanics. Stop calling John "Juan" McCain, you may think it is funny, I find it offensive.

Also stop lumping legals and illegals together when talking about immigration.

Deal?

How about we start flagging posts that do the aforementioned.

Let's keep discussions civil and we may actually have a consensus here.
Makes sense to me. But realize, Mach50, that, fair or not, a large part of this is based on stereotypes. That may not be altogether FAIR, but stereotypes do exist, and they offend, because they contain SOME truth. (I wrote another post on this just today).

I agree with your post, and what you 'ask' surely makes sense. But though its certainly true that ALL Mexicans are NOT illegals, it's ALSO true that over half of those illegally in the US are from one country--Mexico. (and in California, it's undoubtedly much higher). Stereotypes aren't logical, but there is SOME reason for their existence....and in an 'emotional' subject like illegal immigration, (or ANY illegal activity) people are even LESS likely to think with their 'heads', and to let their prejudices take over....

There will ALWAYS be some people who don't trust single men 'hanging around' where children are. MOST men want nothing to do with molesting kids...but most people who DO molest kids, in fact, ARE men....and that's enough to cast suspicion on ANY man seen 'loitering' near kiddies. It's a stereotype, but it does exist.....

Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM

There is no doubt that prejudice will always occur. I just think it's ridiculous that some people think all Latin Americans descendants (regardless of whether they were born or their ability to speak Spanish) is being tied into this. Being ''Hispanic'' doesn't exist in this country. It's being white. It's useless.

The problem is people have a tendency to generalize. And sometimes, they have to even go out of their way to do this. Or they just think it's normal to do this. If you're criticizing illegal immigrants, you should say that every time. Not immigrants. Not ''Mexicans.'' You should say illegal immigrants or illegal Mexican immigrants. That way there is no confusion into who you're talking about.

If you were in a blockbuster, and heard some redneck guy saying something really stupid ''Them damn Mexicans didn't come around to cut my lawn today'', that's the exact problem I'm showing. Why is it that difficult to just say illegals? Or illegal Mexicans? Most of the time, people don't even know if they are illegal, are legal Mexican citizens or were even foreign-born. If they were speaking a foreign-language, I could understand why people would check off that they are foreign, but it's wrong to assume one is illegal because of a ''hunch.''

So this could upset Mexican immigrants who do the right thing. I really doubt this bothers other immigrants. Sometimes, the hostility grows into larger terms, but this is totally irrelevant to Puerto Ricans, Cubas, Dominicans and most Latin American and their descendants (especially if they're been in this country for a long time). For that matter, it's practically irrelevant to the whole east coast of the United States.

I don't blame people of Mexican descent or who are legal Mexican immigrants to get upset. It's not to say they don't criticize illegal immigrants too. If anything, they probably dislike them even more because it helps allow imbeciles to create stereotypes about them. This usually doesn't go very far though. Most people aren't racist, but just are irrational and can't think independently. The only reason why they hate illegal immigration is because the media tells them too and people are losing jobs because the economy is sluggish. They're not smart enough to realize that they're government is intentionally doing nothing about it because they want it though.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
And you'll notice that I didn't make ANY of those comments...
I noticed you didnt either Guy. I stated if the story was correct, she and her family were entitled to a formal apology and monetary compensation. I am on the side of the righteous.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM

What ever the story is, this is irrelevant to Geraldo's meaningless feelings. He should compensate those people with his own wallet if he cares so much.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM

The liberal media will continue to publish those stories. And better who than Rivera. The liberal media does well in bringing certain things to attention, but they promote hatred in some of the worse pathetic attempts. They ruin all the actual meaning of pain people had to suffer in things like ''Jena 6'' by making it a TV show like Seinfeld. Not all liberals are represented by this media though. Similarly, I doubt conservatives would want to be constantly related to idiots like Bill O'Reilly.

If this is Rivera's idea of trying to acquire sympathy, he could go screw himself. I'd love to see how ''Latino'' people consider a millionare like him in prison with gangs. I'd love to see how some old world thinking Mexican immigrants see his religion. Anyone who believes or feels for anything he says is as bad as he is. I'm not saying I like Lou Dobbs either, but he isn't trying to get anyone to cry like a baby for his feelings.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:33 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Lou Dobbs is not a hate-monger, he is a patriot. And BTW, his wife is Latina.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:42 PM

407 posts, read 714,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Be careful. Many in here do not want the truth or facts.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I agree. Lou Dobbs is not afraid to speak the truth for fear of political correctness or losing his job. A true patriot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration