U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:32 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup, and the Republicans will pay that price at the ballot box this next election. They have really alienated many Hispanics - who because they are culturally and religiously generally conservative, would typically tend to support the Republican party. Now - even if they are against illegal immigration as a issue - many of them are REALLY starting to feel targeted by all the hate. Afterall, how do you tell just by looking at a Hispanic whether they are here legally or not?

The Republicans have really shot themselves in the foot with the way some many of them (or at least the more vocal ones) have handled this issue.

I'm sure of course that many of the "foaming at the mouth" crowd here will disagree, but that's what I see going on.

Ken
For the record:

The 'Republicans' have alienated many people------not just so-called 'Hispanics'.

Too; looking at the Democrats, the Black vote has de facto cancelled out the 'Latino' vote in the primary. The former are mostly going for Obama whereas the Mestizos prefer Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Offtopic here:

'Hispanic' and 'Latino' are basically weasel words------they usually refer to individuals whose families hail from Latin America and sometimes Spain and have obvious American Indian heritage from Mexico on south.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM

18,946 posts, read 21,933,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record:

The 'Republicans' have alienated many people------not just so-called 'Hispanics'.
No doubt about that.

Ken

Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM

407 posts, read 714,770 times
Quote:
For the record:

Even though the Democrats are pandering to the Hispanics of this country and all illegals, the Democrats have alienated many people also. In fact, both parties suck the wind as far as I am concerned.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM

418 posts, read 264,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I agree. Lou Dobbs is not afraid to speak the truth for fear of political correctness or losing his job. A true patriot.
Lou Dobbs definitely is gutless too. The only thing that could look ''guilty'' on him sometimes is his network. Even though the CNN network isn't that bad, but it's undeniable that they are one of the liberal ''trouble-making'' networks. It's not to say Fox News or what ever junk they put up on the other side is any better. Those stories on ''the noose'' were really becoming too much though. It's nice to inform people, but they created that whole special more for the fact that it'd help them make money with views watching, rather than actually ''educating'' the public.

Last edited by nyc0127; 03-05-2008 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 PM

418 posts, read 264,581 times
Quote:
For the record:

Too; looking at the Democrats, the Black vote has de facto cancelled out the 'Latino' vote in the primary. The former are mostly going for Obama whereas the Mestizos prefer Clinton.
Well, I think it's unfair to single out any group at this point for their reluctance to the Republican party. You are right that the most Americanized or longer one's Latin-American descendance been in this country, the more statistically they've favored into going for Barack Obama. That's highly due to the fact that Clinton's done a better job attracting the working-class and unions. That probably has much to do with her husband. Obama relates more to the middle class. There's probably an equivalent number of Latin American descended population that's working class and middle class, but many of those working class people aren't citizens, so I wouldn't take too much into the idea that ''Hispanics'' are against Obama.

In 2004, 75 percent of Jewish people voted for John Kerry. That's a similar statistic to blacks and much more than Latin Americans. You don't hear about that though. I'm sure even though Asians make decent money in the country most of the time that it'd mean they should vote for fiscally conservative, but being that so much of their population are in liberal places like California and New Jersey, it only make sense they vote Democrat.

The Republican party has aliented themselves from Americans because of the war. Bush tanked his party. Not to the point to where they don't have a shot. It doesn't mean John McCain will be the favorite, even though he has months to get ahead of Obama or Clinton.

Latin Americans voted for both Republicans and Democrats in 2004. Their level of Americanization (i.e. naturalized citizen or second-generation) obviously was indicative upon which way they were voting. More voted conservative in Texas. More voted liberally in California. People of Latin American descent are no more different than Americans in that regard. If anything, they're even more representative of the voting public than European-Americans. Well, that's how it used to be at least. If any you think people of Latin American descent are the only ones moving away from the Republican party, you're wrong. European-Americans want less to do with them too.

I read a statistic that said that 2/3 of Evangelicals voted Republican last term. Now the statistic is in between 55 and 60 percent, so it must mean their party isn't doing something right. And that all starts from Bush. I doubt that Bush endorsement to McCain will do little good. It might help protect to few people getting rich of Bush's oil and delusional conservatives, but it will only polarize them from voters ''on the fence.'' That's why I'm a little leary on Clinton running, because that same polarization factor exists in her (although not as bad). More people are willing to vote for Obama, including conservatives.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I'm not a big fan of Geraldo, but I agree with him 100% on this issue.
There is ENORMOUS hate-mongering on this issue - the vast majority completely unfounded, and I see it ALL the time on this very board.

Illegal immigration is a serious issue that needs to be addressed - but the "foaming at the mouth" hatred so often seen is NOT the way to do it.

Ken
Very well said. Took the words out of my mouth!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 AM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
I wonder how many know Geraldo's Christian name, the name he had on his birth certificate at the time of his birth. His real name was Jerry Rivers. He changed his name to sound more Latino and we all know why. He is such a sleazeball and not worth the time really. I will give him this though, the title of his book is catchy.
Geraldo Rivera and/or Jerry Rivers is nothing but a Media Ho!

He is the primary reason I refuse to watch FoxNews and I'm just waiting for him to run for some political office.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
Wanting the law enforced is NOT hate mongering you foolish people. Neither Lou Dobbs nor Bill Oreily are hateful towards illegals or legal immigrants. Get a grip. People are mad and hateful of the government's lack of addressing this invasion of illegals and rightfully so. They also dislike people coming here illegally. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Puerto Ricans are considered Hispanic and Geraldo/Jerry is Puerto Rican.
He grew up in the U.S. which make him a NY Rican/Jew. And depending on which of the policies of Jewish Law he supports he is a Jew by practicing his faith or born of a jewish mother or none of the above. I don't know what his enviorment was when he was growing up, but appears he wanted to identify himself as a Puerto Rican, change his first name and joined the Young Lords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration