U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,296,542 times

Advertisements

ICE officials have defended the tactic, saying they make arrests in courthouses only when all other options have been exhausted. But activists, attorneys and prosecutors fear ICE’s increased presence in courthouses could deter other immigrants without legal status from appearing in court to testify as witnesses or answer warrants, which ultimately could endanger prosecutions.

Immigration arrests at courts spark backlash from lawyers, judges - SFGate

NO illegal alien needs to be running free in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM

2,989 posts, read 885,195 times
how is an illegal alien a credible witness?

Old 03-21-2017, 02:15 AM

11,475 posts, read 8,142,982 times
Interesting term "backlash" As if arresting illegal aliens is considered "lashing out" by ICE.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:43 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,286,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
That's a good question. They've already shown a lack of honesty by remaining in this country against the law. And that's at a minimum. Indeed, many illegals are guilty of more, including using false social security numbers.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 AM

1,125 posts, read 449,944 times
And aren't they busting guys who are being prosecuted not witnesseses? The complainers are making up scenarios. Innocent witness or victim won't show up for court...oh no whats next...illegal kids stop eating?

Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,083,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
And aren't they busting guys who are being prosecuted not witnesseses? The complainers are making up scenarios. Innocent witness or victim won't show up for court...oh no whats next...illegal kids stop eating?
Oh, they are already at "illegal kids stop eating" based on their criminal parents not wanting to use government services. I don't really get that either since the cards are automatically loaded and even here in a town of 25,000 we have little Hispanic/Latino markets that take the food stamp card and also have Western Union available for those that work and want to send money back to their country of origin.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM

1,073 posts, read 495,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's a good question. They've already shown a lack of honesty by remaining in this country against the law. And that's at a minimum. Indeed, many illegals are guilty of more, including using false social security numbers.
I hope this isn't a serious question.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,286,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I hope this isn't a serious question.
Its a very serious question. And if I was representing someone in a case where opposing counsel produced an illegal immigrant witness, I'd make sure that I raised this fact with the witness on cross examination in order to try to discredit the witness. One's decision to remain in this country illegally (yes, its a bit different if one was brought here as a child and this is the only country one knows . . . there isn't much of a credibility issue there I suppose) directly touches on one's honesty/credibility. If you're willing to do that and to use fake social security numbers in order to gain certain kinds of employment, then why should the court believe you when you've shown that you're more than willing to skirt the law? Of course, there's a counterargument (i.e. in taking a risk to come out of the shadows to testify when one is not here legally), but this counterargument doesn't hold as much weight today given the enforcement priorities of Obama/Trump; indeed, I hardly expect illegal immigrants who have committed violent crimes while in the country illegally to testify . . . no, it would be the low enforcement priority illegals who would be testifying mostly, and they don't have much to fear as far as deportation goes anyway.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 AM

11,515 posts, read 5,521,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its a very serious question. And if I was representing someone in a case where opposing counsel produced an illegal immigrant witness, I'd make sure that I raised this fact with the witness on cross examination in order to try to discredit the witness. One's decision to remain in this country illegally (yes, its a bit different if one was brought here as a child and this is the only country one knows . . . there isn't much of a credibility issue there I suppose) directly touches on one's honesty/credibility. If you're willing to do that and to use fake social security numbers in order to gain certain kinds of employment, then why should the court believe you when you've shown that you're more than willing to skirt the law? Of course, there's a counterargument (i.e. in taking a risk to come out of the shadows to testify when one is not here legally), but this counterargument doesn't hold as much weight today given the enforcement priorities of Obama/Trump; indeed, I hardly expect illegal immigrants who have committed violent crimes while in the country illegally to testify . . . no, it would be the low enforcement priority illegals who would be testifying mostly, and they don't have much to fear as far as deportation goes anyway.
Couldn't rep you again but well put!^^^^

Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM

2,429 posts, read 787,582 times
If those Counties would cooperate with ICE on the detainers, then ICE wouldn't have to be doing arrests at the Court House itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration