U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
That may be, I just don't see how that is relevant at all to any points I've made.
Well, you haven't actually made "points" as far as I am considered. You expressed some opinions that most people don't agree with.

Mexico? The greatest number of illegal aliens are from Mexico. It is also the country that we let the most legal immigrants from. It is also the country that lets people from central America cross through their country as long as they are headed to the US border to enter without authorization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You keep pushing for unskilled, functionally illiterate illegals to get legalized. If they are so great, then why does Mexico encourage them to come here? You would think that they would want them to stay there to do the work that Mexicans won't do
Yes, rather than printing a booklet to tell them how to pass safely into and avoid apprehension: https://www.cfif.org/htdocs/legislat...al-booklet.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Stop demonizing all illegal immigrants. The majority of them are honest, hard working people.
All that entered the US without authorization are criminals. There is a reason they are termed "illegal alien". I am thrilled though that they sound like a national treasure, as I am sure their country of origin will be thrilled to welcome them and their anchor babies home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The term "honest illegal alien" is an oxymoron.

There is no such thing as an "honest illegal alien". Period.
Maybe they don't know what "illegal" means, but if a lib, it means nothing to them anyway I guess.

Quote:
It really is unfortunate to see these kinds of statements. It's just mean-spirited.
The truth can sound that way to someone that is either sympathizing or exploiting illegal aliens. A criminal is a criminal is a criminal. We have no use for criminals or people engaging in other unlawful activities, it isn't like it is a big deal, this is the reason we made laws in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 5,379,948 times
Some people are going to hurt themselves with their mental/ethical gymnastics trying to justify illegals.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Some people are going to hurt themselves with their mental/ethical gymnastics trying to justify illegals.
I'm not so sure there are "mental/ethical gymnastics" involved, more like "parroting" their favorite news outlet who ends up making them look foolish, like with all the polls and predictions.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:48 AM

6,730 posts, read 1,899,090 times
Quote:
It really is unfortunate to see these kinds of statements. It's just mean-spirited.
NO. Mean spirited is making legal immigrants wait for years to enter legally then give a free pass to criminals.
Mean spirited is saying to the victims of illegals "hey most of them don't commit violent crimes." As if that makes it ok.
Mean spirited is saying illegals only do the jobs Americans won't.
There is nothing mean spirited in holding illegals accountable. None are here by accident. None didn't know that we have immigration laws. Illegals made a choice, in fact a number of choices. All of which made them criminals and that includes the VISA overstays. I travel a lot. I have yet to be forced to violate and VISA I have ever had.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM

12,555 posts, read 18,931,506 times
Quote:
Thanks, as this statement supports the assertion I made in the original post.
I went back and looked and I don't see how my statement supports your assertion. My statement does not say that I am anti immigrant. It says I am anti-illegal aliens.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I went back and looked and I don't see how my statement supports your assertion. My statement does not say that I am anti immigrant. It says I am anti-illegal aliens.
OP doesn't differentiate between "legal" and "illegal" as in so doing, it would defeat his/her argument. Being anti illegal anything is a good thing. Only a criminals themselves would be pro-illegal. Anti illegal is a double negative, OP used it in the hope of anti and illegal canceling one another out leaving just "immigrant". One of the many problems with that is that we are not talking "immigrant" but "alien", an "alien" as in belonging to another country or owning allegiance to another country. The allegiance question comes up again in the 14th Amendment which is what technically makes the anchor baby not an American citizen unless one parent has allegiance to our country, which an alien does not. I just hope we get that clarified also.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:49 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,602,375 times
We have too many poor immigrants here. We are importing poverty. We cannot afford to keep doing this.

It's too much strain on our social safety net, schools, and healthcare systems. It also puts a downward pressure on wages. I am against the H1B program as well.

I guess that makes me anti-immigrant until we can create enough decent jobs for everybody who is already here ( born and immigrants) to have wages catch up with inflation and restore our quality of life.

After that, open the doors, but do it based on merit and streamline the system.

None of this matters until the border is secure.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Bumping this....to revisit my posting brilliance.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:22 PM

15,387 posts, read 8,684,668 times
Quote:
What about when illegal becomes legal?
Should never happen. There are legal pathways to citizenship. Lots of immigrants took that pathway, spending years and a lot of money to get there.

Criminals don't get to jump the line. And if they do, they should forfeit their right to citizenship, EVER.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:24 PM

15,387 posts, read 8,684,668 times
Quote:
What happens when you smoke pot in Colorado in 2007 vs in 2017? What about the fact that it is still illegal under federal law?
PERFECT analogy, although not in the direction you'd like.

In your scenario, every person that was convicted of smoking pot in 2007 would automatically have their record deleted in 2017. Doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or