Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:59 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
They're doing a splendid job so far.

All I see is raids. Where's the resistance?
The best thing coming out of it is illegals are self deporting and refusing to come back across like they've done for over 8 years. Fear is a useful tool against criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The best thing coming out of it is illegals are self deporting and refusing to come back across like they've done for over 8 years. Fear is a useful tool against criminals.
Very true. I just heard a report on the radio the other day that said the smugglers are now charging double what they used to. Hopefully it's getting tougher.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Very true. I just heard a report on the radio the other day that said the smugglers are now charging double what they used to. Hopefully it's getting tougher.
Canary in the coal mine: otherwise smugglers would either charge LESS or be put out of business real fast. I'm guessing smuggling is becoming seriously dangerous now between other gangs "hijacking" illegal aliens or LE is really catching a LOT of them and coyotes.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:12 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is unconstitutional for Trump to try to withhold all federal funding from Cities or Counties that don't automatically honor ICE detainers. There is no requirement that States enforce federal law. ICE agents are free to sit in the jail parking lot and arrest people as they are released. Federal funding can only be withheld when the funds are directly related to the activity the feds are trying to regulate and they can't be used to coerce or force a state to act contrary to it's interests How Sanctuary Cities Plan to Dodge President Trump's Funding Cuts | Fortune.com

Not to mention there have been several federal courts that have ruled that holding a person on an ICE detainer is a violation of the person's 4th amendment rights and that the jail honoring the hold can be held liable for e folks pop aides me winded if this damages. https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f..._am_limits.pdf

Trump is the one who needs to do the right thing and act like a President not like some bloated dissipated petty banana republic dictator.
Ah, the "right thing" in this case is to follow the United States immigration laws already on the books.

Why oh who is Trump called out for enforcing our laws by deporting those who should not be here? (I personally detest the man.) And why oh why are there those that think we should allow illegal aliens to stay here?

Makes me wonder why some think illegal aliens are more important than our own citizens who belong here. Why don't those liberal folks open their wallets and houses to these poor people "just wanting the American Dream" (and who send $22 Billion to Mexico annually).

Old 03-30-2017, 06:43 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Pro illegals don't care about the law or public safety. They care about the safety and protection of criminals. They would rather only follow the laws that suit them and ignore all the ones that inconvenience them.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:34 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Zadvydas v. Davis (2001) "due process" of the 14th Amendment applies to all aliens in the United States whose presence maybe or is "unlawful, involuntary or transitory."

Almeida-Sanchez v. United States (1973) ruled that all criminal charge-related elements of the Constitution's amendments (the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and the 14th) such as search and seizure, self-incrimination, trial by jury and due process, protect non-citizens, legally or illegally present.

Plylver v Doe 1982 The illegal aliens who are plaintiffs in these cases challenging the statute may claim the benefit of the Equal Protection Clause, which provides that no State shall "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Whatever his status under the immigration laws, an alien is a "person" in any ordinary sense of that term.
Interesting. I knew about the last one, but not the first two.

BTW, it's Plyler v Doe, not Plyver v Doe (probably just a typo on your part, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else wants to look up more details)

Last edited by RMESMH; 03-30-2017 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: ADDED TWO WORDS

Old 03-30-2017, 09:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Interesting. I knew about the last one, but not the first two.

BTW, it's Plyler v Doe, not Plyver v Doe (probably just a typo on your part, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else wants to look up more details)
you're correct, it was a typo.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
So Trump is going to withhold critical funding to cities because they disagree with his harsh immigration policies? States and local government SHOULD not be force to enforce immigration law. I bet any federal judge will agree.
Judging from your comments, you must really have a dog in this fight. If you, your family members or friends are here illegally.....it's time to go. In the end, Trump is going to get his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration