U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 362,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You are talking about overstay of visas, right?

I am not sure you are getting the drift of things....As far as I know no overstay is at present being pursued for deportation. In fact I don't think the federal government even knows who and where the majority of those overstayed are.
That's not true at all. I've helped people who overstayed tourist, student and work visas apply for their adjustment of status who received ICE visits at their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM

6,730 posts, read 1,901,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Some are married to US citizens or have us citizen children
Married to a US citizen doesn't entitle them to an overstay or to ignore the terms of their VISA. Having a US child also doesn't entitle them to leave when required.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Married to a US citizen doesn't entitle them to an overstay or to ignore the terms of their VISA. Having a US child also doesn't entitle them to leave when required.
That is not my point at all. I'm saying that there's many out there who hve and that's their only violation and technically non criminal

Old 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM

12,559 posts, read 18,941,353 times
Quote:
That's not true at all. I've helped people who overstayed tourist, student and work visas apply for their adjustment of status who received ICE visits at their home.
I know one who the ICE says they are going to visit their home. I wonder if the visit is to deport them? I can't understand why they are going after this person, who has applied for adjustment of status. I thought that as long as they were applying that it was okay to stay until the decision was made. It doesn't look like I was right.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I know one who the ICE says they are going to visit their home. I wonder if the visit is to deport them? I can't understand why they are going after this person, who has applied for adjustment of status. I thought that as long as they were applying that it was okay to stay until the decision was made. It doesn't look like I was right.
They may be doing a home study visit. That happens sometimes. When you receive your NOA2 in the AOS process you're in a period of authorized stay, overstay isn't an issue at that point

Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 PM

1,073 posts, read 494,969 times
I haven't heard anything else about any raids here in NYC. I guess DHS realized that the bad press and bad policy (of targeting non-criminal illegal aliens) weren't winning them any friends. Immigration reform is the answer.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 AM

2,987 posts, read 883,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I haven't heard anything else about any raids here in NYC. I guess DHS realized that the bad press and bad policy (of targeting non-criminal illegal aliens) weren't winning them any friends. Immigration reform is the answer.
What are you proposing as immigration reform? What are the long term effects of this reform, both good and bad, be specific. I have my opinion on the matter but I would like to hear yours, more so than a one sentence rhetorical statement.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:28 AM

32,817 posts, read 30,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Oh they still are. They list the big ones on their page not the small ones.

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/31...al-re-entrants

Old 05-03-2017, 11:39 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,354,443 times
Quote:
Did you find where I said the 'majority' and not all or did you just ignored that fact.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,354,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
We had a family in our community who overstayed their visitors visa who were a very respected members of our community. They had three children born in the US.

The father was English and the wife was South African. The father was picked up by ice and taken to a detention center. The community supported this family to the bitter end, but he and she were deported, I believe to England, and they took their three children with them. They were banned from the US for five years before they could re-apply for entry and possible citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or