U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,908,308 times

Advertisements

First time posting in this sub-forum.

Dallas proposes ID cards for undocumented immigrants

Quote:
Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings has proposed offering identification cards to all of the city’s residents, including undocumented immigrants. Doing so would not only grant Dallas’ large population of Mexican immigrants free access to government or other municipal services but also formally involve them in the local economy...
Quote:
Critics of such ID programs have routinely said they contributed to undocumented immigration, illegal voting and identity theft. Texas’ conservative-leaning state legislature has criticized so-called sanctuary cities like New York City and Los Angeles for refusing to hand over the names of undocumented citizens to federal immigration officials.
Quote:
It was not immediately clear whether Dallas' program would disclose the names of unidentified immigrants to federal immigration authorities. However, Dallas voted to become adopt sanctuary city policies last month.
Thoughts? I know they mention NYC. Is this common elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM

3,013 posts, read 890,551 times
They passed a law in California that allows illegals to get a drivers license. They also happened to pass a law or program that automatically registers you as a voter when you get a drivers license. Do you think anyone I'd checking that? I'm really surprised that Texas is catering to illegals, is this a recent trend?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I'm really surprised that Texas is catering to illegals, is this a recent trend?
Dallas is mainly a blue county (over 61% voted for Clinton). They also have a LOT of problems.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:13 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,293,719 times
NYC did this. Of course they claim that the cards weren't specifically for illegal immigrants and, yes, the cards were available to all (heck, I even got a card for the free institutional memberships that came with it), but it was clear why the city started the program.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM

2,635 posts, read 1,358,433 times
Funny how liberals can back these ID cards in liberal leaning places like New York City and California and in the same breath be against IDs required for voting.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:01 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,621,714 times
They give them a driver's license here. It just has a mark on it indicating that they are not a citizen.

They did it because there were too many illegals driving around with no insurance because they couldn't get it with no license. It's good that they did that because several hundreds of them failed the drivers test at first. They really needed the instruction.

Betcha ICE would like access to that database.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,096,440 times
I would like ICE to have access to that database. There are actually other databases that would be winners to in speeding up the process of enforcing our immigration laws.

I think federal funding needs to stopped for cities doing this as it is against the law to harbor illegal aliens: The Law Against Hiring or Harboring Illegal Aliens

Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM

17,022 posts, read 9,079,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
They passed a law in California that allows illegals to get a drivers license. They also happened to pass a law or program that automatically registers you as a voter when you get a drivers license. Do you think anyone I'd checking that? I'm really surprised that Texas is catering to illegals, is this a recent trend?

"Texas" is not, crazy Sanctuary cities think of crap like this and our Governor is fighting hard back against them in several areas.

Texans in general want no part of this type of garbage. It emits from clustered lefties.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,621,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would like ICE to have access to that database. There are actually other databases that would be winners to in speeding up the process of enforcing our immigration laws.

I think federal funding needs to stopped for cities doing this as it is against the law to harbor illegal aliens: The Law Against Hiring or Harboring Illegal Aliens
My county's sheriff will not pursue illegal aliens. It's not metro's job to be doing what the Feds are paid to do. Metro has too much to do already in this town.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 496,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Many Americans, including myself, have a NYC municipal ID. Giving ICE access to the database isn't the most efficient way to identify illegal immigrants. I would gladly be a part of a lawsuit to prevent this abuse of power, invasion of privacy and violation of trust.

Keep in mind that the federal government has many easier ways to identify people who are here illegally but the majority of Americans (myself included) would strongly oppose these measures. We should be encouraging undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows rather than forcing them underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration