Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
See you in court Mr. Trump. There is nothing in the Constitution or statutes requiring states and local jurisdictions to enforce immigration laws. Detainers are NOT warrants. Why cut valuable funding to cities because they are complying with the law? Trump will get another kick in his face with this upcoming loss.
Please show me in the constitution where it says states are entitled to federal money. They act like its automatically owed to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:51 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
See you in court Mr. Trump. There is nothing in the Constitution or statutes requiring states and local jurisdictions to enforce immigration laws. Detainers are NOT warrants. Why cut valuable funding to cities because they are complying with the law? Trump will get another kick in his face with this upcoming loss.
Aiding and abetting criminals is "complying with the law"? Wow! That's a new excuse for not cooperating with authorities

Old 04-01-2017, 02:05 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
These lawsuits are going to be an act in futility, just as Jill Stein's recount attempt only ended up giving Trump more votes.
They will solidify the Red States even more in his corner in November, 2020.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:38 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
This is what we call backwards reasoning. You and many others here are claiming that states are required to enforce IMMIGRATION LAW (notice I didn't use the catchall "federal law"?) but there is no law requiring this and I'm challenging you and others to prove otherwise.

If states don't have to enforce various laws on immigration why are they, and their sub-jurisdictions, hauled into Federal Court for not enforcing the federal IDEA? They lose on that one. Every single time. It deals with education.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
The Federal government, through the Justice department can, at its choosing, [not required by law] give a grant [with strings] to a local law enforcement agency to perform a specific function or purchase specific equipment. If the function is not done or the equipment is not purchased, the Justice department can cancel the grant or stop giving grants. It is Federal tax payer money being given as a gift. They can stop giving gifts whenever they choose for any reason at any time.
The Federal justice department is not required to give money to a city that harbors and gives protection to criminal illegal aliens.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:00 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Please show me in the constitution where it says states are entitled to federal money. They act like its automatically owed to them.
I didn't make that claim, so probably you should answer that question .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Aiding and abetting criminals is "complying with the law"? Wow! That's a new excuse for not cooperating with authorities
How is a place like NYC aiding and abetting illegal aliens? Listen, all ICE needs to do is get a federal warrant and then the city would be legally responsible to detain whomever they want. Federal judges have warned local jurisdictions that they cannot indefinitely hold an illegal alien and unequivocally stated that a DETAINER is NOT a WARRANT. I'm not making this up, neither are these mayors - it was the Supreme Court (and other federal courts) who made this ruling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If states don't have to enforce various laws on immigration why are they, and their sub-jurisdictions, hauled into Federal Court for not enforcing the federal IDEA? They lose on that one. Every single time. It deals with education.
You are conflating two separate issues. I recommend that you become fully informed with federal rulings on the issue. Remember when Arizona tried to usurp federal power on immigration? Please read rulings like those.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:53 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

You are conflating two separate issues. I recommend that you become fully informed with federal rulings on the issue. Remember when Arizona tried to usurp federal power on immigration? Please read rulings like those.

I'm not conflating anything, you're refusing to answer why the federal government can compel local compliance with one set of legislation but (your claim) is unable to for another.

Why do you love illegals so much?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
There is nothing in the Constitution or statutes requiring states and local jurisdictions to enforce immigration laws. Please disprove this statement and stop posting links.
You may need to post some links to prove your statement. And, use the right term. You are stating immigration....The subject is "illegal immigration".

Here is a link that will clearly help you understand that you are wrong.

The Constitution Is The Rule Of Law On Illegal Immigration

Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You may need to post some links to prove your statement. And, use the right term. You are stating immigration....The subject is "illegal immigration".

Here is a link that will clearly help you understand that you are wrong.

The Constitution Is The Rule Of Law On Illegal Immigration
Voilà: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_v._United_States

"An Arizona law providing authority for local law enforcement to enforce immigration law violated the enumerated powers of Congress and is pre-empted by federal statute."

Again, I didn't make this up, that was the ruling of our highest court.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
A sanctuary city is breaking federal law, "Aiding and Abetting". I don't see what AZ vs US has to do with that.

Sanctuary city policy gets funding yanked by federal government - Washington Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration