Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times

Advertisements

Basically, these left-wing mayors have lost their minds. They are inviting terrorism and putting their cities in great danger by not vetting illegals and not allowing them to follow a proper process of citizenship. Let's see if they call conservatives mean-spirited after their cities experience an attack seeing innocent lives lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 08:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Basically, these left-wing mayors have lost their minds. They are inviting terrorism and putting their cities in great danger by not vetting illegals and not allowing them to follow a proper process of citizenship. Let's see if they call conservatives mean-spirited after their cities experience an attack seeing innocent lives lost.
Yes and the most disgusting part is that they all claim to be doing it in the name of 'public safety'.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:46 PM

296 posts, read 232,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Working with ICE in regards to known criminals is quite a bit different from being a "deportation force .

What would you consider a "serious crime "?

Should we just wait until an illegal kills someone to deport them ?

Right! I can't believe there's even a controversy over this. I'm very surprised and disappointed that so many people want the illegals here and will fight for them.
I've been anti-illegal for many years, but that's because I'm from Southern California, basically on the 'front lines' of illegal immigration. Ah... the things I've seen :-(

As for your question: What would I consider a serious crime? Illegally crossing the border is itself a crime, which leads to many more illegal acts. But again, I'm very harsh on this subject.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
From your own link:

"Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime

Some may assume that all immigrants who are in the United States without legal status must have committed improper entry. This simply isn't the case. Many foreign nationals legally enter the country on a valid work or travel visa, but fail to exit before their visa expires for a variety of reasons.
But mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal. Chief among these civil penalties is deportation or removal, where an unlawful resident may be detained and removed from the country. Unlawful presence can also have negative consequences for a resident who may seek to gain re-entry into the United States, or permanent residency.
- See more at: http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/07/is-illegal-immigration-a-crime-improper-entry-v-unlawful-presence.html#sthash.TI4PkUOI.dpuf"

Overstay is not unlawful entry. Overstayers can adjust status because of that.
Sounds like typical lawyer double speak.

""Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime"

"It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties,"

How can you be "punished by civil penalties" for NOT committing a crime?

"a violation of federal immigration law " IS BREAKING THE LAW.

"Civil penalties" ARE punishment for committing a crime.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:18 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
It's a civil matter unless one sneaks over the border. Until otherwise it won't be seen that way on the whole.
"It's a civil matter"

So, what does that mean?

They still broke the law and INS can "arrest" them and deported them as they should be.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Sessions needs to quit talking about it, and do it.
I agree. I think the Governors and the Mayors making these outlandish statements about protecting the illegals in their State/City in public should be arrested and charged with aiding and abetting, along with whatever else applies to their position as leaders who are enlisting others to aid and abet who have to follow the orders given by the Governor/Mayor.

I think if that happened, we'd see some changes real quick.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree. I think the Governors and the Mayors making these outlandish statements about protecting the illegals in their State/City in public should be arrested and charged with aiding and abetting, along with whatever else applies to their position as leaders who are enlisting others to aid and abet who have to follow the orders given by the Governor/Mayor.

I think if that happened, we'd see some changes real quick.
It's easy to talk tough, but it requires a lot more courage to take action. These mayors and sheriffs know that it's probably all just talk.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It's a civil matter"

So, what does that mean?

They still broke the law and INS can "arrest" them and deported them as they should be.
First off INS hasn't existed for quite some time, uscis is the agency. Secondly yes absolutely they can, but they aren't criminals per se, it's just a civil violation with a penalty (removal and ban from entry). Those who entered lawfully and have a qualifying US citizen relative can attempt relief by adjustment of status as it's not a felony or misdemeanor to overstay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sounds like typical lawyer double speak.

""Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime"

"It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties,"

How can you be "punished by civil penalties" for NOT committing a crime?

"a violation of federal immigration law " IS BREAKING THE LAW.

"Civil penalties" ARE punishment for committing a crime.
Look up Arizona vs Supreme Court. They ruled it's not considered a crime.

"Unlawful presence is not a crime. It is a civil violation."

The 2012 Supreme Court case Arizona vs. United States. The majority opinion found that "as a general rule, it is not a crime for a removable alien to remain present in the United States."

Is being in the United States unlawfully a 'crime'? | PolitiFact Florida
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../opinion3.html

I'm not saying that there is no punishment or that they're not in violation of federal law, simply that by US law overstay isn't criminal. Absolutely deportation is possible

Last edited by Yac; 04-04-2017 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 09-15-2017, 09:06 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,648 times
Default Cities Win..Trump Loses

The court has spoken..let the whining begin:

Judge: Sessions can't deny grant money for sanctuary cities

Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Easy way to resolve the problem... Just prosecute and imprison the mayors, town councils, etc. They're violating Federal Law. 5-10 year prison term PER each illegal alien:

Encouraging/Inducing -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv) makes it an offense for any person who -- encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law.

Conspiracy/Aiding or Abetting -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(v) expressly makes it an offense to engage in a conspiracy to commit or aid or abet the commission of the foregoing offenses.

...With regard to violations of 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(ii)-(iv) and (v)(ii), domestic transportation, harboring, encouraging/inducing, or aiding/abetting, the basic statutory maximum term of imprisonment is 5 years, unless the offense was committed for commercial advantage or private financial gain, in which case the maximum term of imprisonment is 10 years.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...1324a-offenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration