U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM

2,615 posts, read 1,351,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Why are people allowing that mayor stay employed? He is clearly not doing his job.
Eh....if a city like Seattle can elect a communist to the city council, a nut case to replace Baghdad Jim McDermitt they can and will elect the mayor again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,208,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In L.A we have a Mayor that lectures us that we should thank criminals for serving their jail time !

Yes really..

LA Mayor Wants You To Thank FELONS For Their Service (AUDIO) - Downstream Politics

Unfortunately he was also just reelected this month .. for a 5 1/2 year term!
As if they had a choice! I happen to be a felon, but I never expected any appreciation from anyone about doing my time. Those who do make a sincere effort to change while locked up should be appreciated- seriously. Why?- because if they don't change, the results are predictable. When society and politicians go out of their way to make life "tough" for ex cons- society ends up paying the price- due to encouraged recidivism. Any real efforts to assist felons getting out should be applauded- not criticized.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Nearly Half of Illegal Immigrants Overstay Visas"

"Many immigrants who are in the United States illegally never jumped a fence, hiked through the desert or paid anyone to help them sneak into the country. According to a recent study, 45 percent of illegal immigrants came here on a legal visa, and then overstayed that visa.

Nearly Half of Illegal Immigrants Overstay Visas : NPR

If you "Overstay" your VISA you ARE an ILLEGAL!
Yes....but...

After reading the post you are referring to I failed to see the poster making any distinction between Illegal aliens and visa over-stayers.

In my small community I have seen both illegal Aliens and visa over stayers deported.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM

10,395 posts, read 8,346,895 times
Sounds good to me...let's cut them off.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
As if they had a choice! I happen to be a felon, but I never expected any appreciation from anyone about doing my time. Those who do make a sincere effort to change while locked up should be appreciated- seriously. Why?- because if they don't change, the results are predictable. When society and politicians go out of their way to make life "tough" for ex cons- society ends up paying the price- due to encouraged recidivism. Any real efforts to assist felons getting out should be applauded- not criticized.
The rate of felons who re-offend and return to prison:
  • robbers - 70.2%
  • burglars - 74.0%
  • larcenists - 74.6%
  • motor vehicle thieves - 78.8%
  • possession and sales of stolen property - 77.4%
  • possession, sales, and/or use of illegal weapons - 70.2%
I have a hard time thanking you for your service.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM

3,491 posts, read 1,208,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The rate of felons who re-offend and return to prison:
  • robbers - 70.2%
  • burglars - 74.0%
  • larcenists - 74.6%
  • motor vehicle thieves - 78.8%
  • possession and sales of stolen property - 77.4%
  • possession, sales, and/or use of illegal weapons - 70.2%
I have a hard time thanking you for your service.
I can make up "rates" too. Any statistics have to be seen in the light of who, when, and where, as well as who is coming up with them. I never asked you to thank me. I hope you are not one of the numerous ignorant people out there that think "punish, punish, punish" is effective. Think with your head, not your emotions.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:04 PM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Why are people allowing that mayor stay employed? He is clearly not doing his job.

He keeps getting elected so he must mirror the residents' beliefs.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,106,581 times
What is it with these Liberal mayors ? WHO Exactly are they representing?

Offering illegal aliens which also includes those who have overstayed their Visas benefits who? Yes the Libs can give themselves a big pat on the back for having a big heart but why does their charity need to stop at the illegals? Why can't they extend their charity and good will to those who are in prison. I say let all of them out except for the murderers. The drug dealers, child molesters, armed robbers and those who committed assault and battery. Did I miss anyone?

While the mayor is so keen on helping the illegals why not just disband the police department since you are not into upholding the law? I didn't know that mayors had the power to pick and choose the laws that are enforced.

So when a citizen becomes a victim of a crime at the hands of an illegal alien where will that mayor stand?
What if the crime is against an illegal alien by an illegal alien?

Go on and forfeit the federal funds. I'm sure the money can be used elsewhere where the law of the land is upheld.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seattle is very rich and has very few illegal immigrants anyway. More visa-holders that overstay visa's.

It seems like Seattle illegal immigrant population is just a tiny bit of the population.

This is just a political statement to solidify and rally the liberal crudentials of the people who run the city.

Liberal Democrats love to make political statements to appease their left-wing base. Seattle is famous for doing that.

Seattle likes to pander to the liberal of leftists and because it's such a rich city with an extremely high barrier of entry and also close to a rich country, it knows it won't ever have the consequences of illegal immigration like other cities will.
Pretty much. It's right out of the political playbook, page 1 and of course it's a non-partisan tactic.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 PM

9,041 posts, read 2,715,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is nuts . Are the citizens of Seattle really going to be on board with this ?

Seeing these liberal mayors fight so hard for illegals that aren't even citizens is just nuts.

I could see this backfiring . Especially when more people become aware of the crime committed by illegals which has mostly been covered up by the media .

'Sanctuary Cities' Promise Legal Fight After Sessions Threatens Funds : The Two-Way : NPR

Not to worry WA has Seattle's back. If we go down in flames, don't worry about it. That is our problem.

We are not asking you to pay our costs, we are not asking your permission . It is all on us, you accrue no burden of any kind. We already have a lawsuit filed and fully intend on dragging Mr Sessions into court. This is exactly why we elected these folks, they carry our views to DC and they do it well. in fact you inspire me to donate some more money to the ACLU, so they can sue some more red states..

As to the cost, you have no sense of scale, we just voted in a 60 BILLION transit plan. And YES we are funding it. Our new system could build two of your walls, but ours will add value, draw employers and actually improve the standard of living. I am sure Trump will try to steal credit for it soon enough.

And... crime, well BS, we have a few million folk living in the metro area and this website (city data the hint is in the name) clearly shows our crime rates are low.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or