U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:01 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times

Advertisements

[quote=Jo48;47676118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes,, some school districts do it that way. It happens at my grandkids school---everybody got free breakfast---whether they needed it or not. That's neither here nor there. The point being made is there shouldn't be such high levels of kids needing this type of assistance.

No need for you to be condescending.[/QUOTE
Yes it is. Children are Children whether they are rich, poor, disabled, their parents are migrants or illegals. They all deserve to be fed and educated.

A child cannot choose who their parents are.
Illegal aliens have no business being here, let alone getting free lunches courtesy of the taxpayers. We have enough of our own poor who need our help. They come first. Charity starts at home. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:34 PM

674 posts, read 244,582 times
[quote=BOS2IAD;47676257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Illegal aliens have no business being here, let alone getting free lunches courtesy of the taxpayers. We have enough of our own poor who need our help. They come first. Charity starts at home. Period.
And home is where the heart is, which is America!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM

[quote=Galvatron210;47676568]
Quote:

And home is where the heart is, which is America!
If they are here illegally, then it is not "home" to them---no matter how much they think it's home. In fact, illegal aliens have no business being here. Just like if you were in another country illegally, you would have no business being there either. Period.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
There is no excuse for allowing that^^^^to happen. Do you know the problems that overcrowded housing causes? It causes disease to rapidly spread. It becomes a fire hazard as the electrical system in a single family home isn't adequate enough to serve 16-20. The plumbing system also isn't adequate to handle that many people either. A failed plumbing system also is a cause of diseases spreading. In some flophouses, since there aren't enough toilets, the residents use the backyard. Since they want to hide the fact that they have a flophouse, they often don't put out their trash and instead leave it in the backyard, which attracts vermin.

The law-abiding people who live one family to a house find that once flophouses show up on their street, their property values go down as well as their quality of life.

It's a simple fact. If the only way you can live somewhere is to overcrowd, then you can't afford to live there. For example, suppose I want to rent an apartment in NYC on 5th Avenue that has a view of Central Park. I take a look at what a one bedroom rents for and quickly realize that the only way I could make the rent is to move 10 or 12 more people in with me. That right there tells me that I can't afford to live there. No to mention that no decent landlord would put up with anyone doing the overcrowding.

Over 100 years ago (as I mentioned in my other post in this thread) there was a massive crackdown on overcrowding. People had figured that overcrowded tenements spread disease and were fire hazards. Our country managed just fine. Today a massive crackdown on this type of living will send more illegals packing. Those who are here legally and do this, will face heavy fines and ordered to rip out anything in their home that wasn't up to code.

As long as we have jurisdictions willing to turn a blind eye to this nonsense, it will continue. If it continues, it will allow sleazy businesses to continually underpay their employees. Americans won't put up with living in overcrowded conditions. The vast majority of us grew up knowing that it was unacceptable to live that way.

About 10 years ago, my Dad was living in a senior citizen trailer park in Las Vegas. My nephew went to there with the intention of finding work then getting his own place. Nephew had back of the house restaurant experience so he went out and pounded the pavement. Everywhere he went, they weren't hiring. He noticed all the Hispanics working these jobs. When he went out to look for housing, he quickly learned that if he got a BOH job at a restaurant, he couldn't afford the rent on an efficiency apartment. He asked my Dad how these "Mexicans" (his word, not mine) can afford to live here. My Dad told him they live up to 20 people in a house or apartment.
I've seen it as well, but as long as the slumlords are permitted to do this, then they will continue to make good money for crap housing by allowing overcrowding. The market is perverted when people are willing or forced to live like that ( 5 people in a studio and worse )

Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've seen it as well, but as long as the slumlords are permitted to do this, then they will continue to make good money for crap housing by allowing overcrowding. The market is perverted when people are willing or forced to live like that ( 5 people in a studio and worse )
I've heard stories about people who live like that (3 families in a 3 bedroom house or homeowners who make illegal apartments in their basements) and the excuse they give for doing so is that it's the only way they can live close to their jobs---like somehow that gives them the right to live like that.

Meanwhile, there are people making long commutes to work because in order to live decently (1 family per house), they have to live a good distance from their jobs. It's an insult to them to find they are sharing a townhouse common wall with an overcrowded home.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 PM

998 posts, read 1,184,525 times
We bought our house in a neighborhood that is heavily Latino and a large number of the households are living multi-family and/or multi-generations per house. My house is a small 4 bedroom 2 bath house of about 1200 sqft and my neighbors have managed to squeeze 15 or 20 people into houses that have the same floorplan. Other houses in my neighborhood and 3 bed 1 or 2 bath and 950 sqft to 1100 and they also manage to squeeze a dozen people or more in there. Garages and sheds are also turned into living spaces. I use to live in a town that was heavily asian (chinese, Indian) and they would also have a dozen or more people per house. There are just cultures where that is the norm. I'm sure there is a certain amount of necessity involved because rents are outrageous but in their home countries these are the living condition that they endure and they are used to living this way.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:45 PM

24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
A lot of this happening in L.A too of course .
I used to work with a young lady that lived in an older apartment building that sounded run down . It was in a nice part of town so demand was high . She mentioned that the landlords didn't care how many people were in the building.

It was her and her husband and two kids in a 1 bedroom .. but it sounded like some units had a lot more people .
She said the building was pretty noisy. The landlords were Asian and also owned a dry cleaners across the street, sounded like the building wasn't maintained too well.

It is kind of a tenantment type of situation happening in many of these sanctuary cities .

Reality is the vast majority of illegals are uneducated and in poverty . We don't need to be importing more of that.
Of course the open border liberals will say that's mean and cruel .

Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,093,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

88 percent of school students on free and reduced lunch.

Lacy Barrio in "Crisis" Mode Over Overcrowding: Report | OC Weekly

I could have sworn that advocates of illegal immigrants maintain they aren't eligible for public assistance programs.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 AM

10,830 posts, read 3,806,238 times
If you can't afford to feed your own kids, then don't have kids in the first place.

Schools should not be providing meals to children.

Not unless the families pay for those meals -- in full.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,115,063 times
It's sad that kids suffer because their parents don't use birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or