Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times

Advertisements

Sanctuary city leaders vow to remain firm, despite threats from U.S. attorney general - LA Times

Councilman brags about it's cities reserves and high quality of life in Santa Ana would going on a massive tirade on Sessions proposals to cut funding.

Does the Councilman think 20 residents in one house sharing a single-bedroom is a sign of a high-quality of life. Do people even live like that in the third world?

http://capitalandmain.com/santa-ana-...ard-walls-0225

50 days, 55 shootings: Gangs blamed for Santa Ana's most violent week - The Orange County Register

55 gang shootings in 50 days last year.

Free meals for all students at Santa Ana schools - The Orange County Register

88 percent of school students on free and reduced lunch.

Lacy Barrio in "Crisis" Mode Over Overcrowding: Report | OC Weekly

Santa Ana in crisis due to overcrowding according to newspaper report.

These liberals are crazy. Since when does rampant violence, overcrowding that is so bad that disease spread easily through the entire community and 88 percent of school students so poor that are on free and reduced lunch a "high quality of life".

What these liberals think is a high-quality of life is basically third-world living conditions. They are completely losing it and just make vague statements that are opposite of reality.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 03-28-2017 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 03:32 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Over 100 years ago, the government cracked down on overcrowded tenements when it became clear that not only did they spread diseases but they were also fire hazards.

Now, we've regressed. Problems like the one addressed in the OP are occurring all over the country with local jurisdictions turning a blind eye to it all. In my area, it isn't just the illegals doing the overcrowding. Many Middle Easterners are living 3 families to a 3 bedroom townhouse or they are making illegal apartments in their basements. We've had many townhouse communities that have turned into slums.

Not only does behavior like this strain local schools but it also strains our roads. On top of that, people who live like this are selfish. They don't care how their actions affect their neighbors' quality of life and property values. The irony is that they don't even care that their own property values have taken a nosedive.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I used to work in property management that rented to the Brazilian community that worked in the trades. Most were legal immigrants some were not. What I found often is that a handful of guys would rent a house then slowly sneak their "cousins" in for a "few weeks" that often turned into months. These guys would sleep on mattresses on the floor 3-4 to a bedroom and in one case a 5x8 closet was rented out to one of them. I guess he had some privacy anyway.

The trash would often pile up at these houses. Another sign was several work trucks being parked all over the place with a few scooter thrown in, registered or not. They would also have 1-4 satellite dishes on the roof so they could get their Brazilian TV shows.

None of this was good for the property and there was little recourse on those who choose to pack up in the middle of the night and clear out leaving their trash and dirty matresses.

As I said most of these guys were legal and I'm sure some were not but they all lived differently than what many "americans" would accept.

It wasn't a good situation for anyone and what I saw was a microcosm of what is now going on in cities everywhere.

Nothing good can come from this but the legal citizens will be affected in a negative manner through higher tax bills to pay to keep these people here and higher crime rates.

Not good.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 AM

12,038 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Lovecrowds posted this above, and it's truly disgusting and hard to believe. Don't we have any laws anymore????

This is where America is headed if we don't crack down soon.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Lovecrowds posted this above, and it's truly disgusting and hard to believe. Don't we have any laws anymore????

This is where America is headed if we don't crack down soon.
Crack down on what? Exhorbitant housing costs in California causing people to have to double up in crappy apartments while their slumlords laugh all the way to the bank?

Because that's what this article was about.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:48 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I worked in a South Florida School District where EVERY child was given a Free Breakfast, including on school breaks and Summers, whatever their parents income level was.

Yes, darlings, in this area even children living in McMansions on the Gulf could get this, not just your "illegals".

Old 03-29-2017, 03:06 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
"There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See"

This is still true almost 500 years after John Heywood wrote it.*

It just amazes me how many liberals (and conservatives, too!) will pretend that a problem that is staring them right in the face does not even exist.

How many times have we heard, with good reason, that the first step to solving a problem is to admit that there is one? I think that politicians need to acknowledge that we have a LOT of problems that are not just going to go away on their own, without anyone doing anything.

*I wanted to make the correct attribution, and so Googled it. Supposedly, according to the Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings, this proverb has been traced back to 1546 (John Heywood), and resembles the Biblical verse Jeremiah 5:21 (‘Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not’). In 1738 it was used by Jonathan Swift in his ‘Polite Conversation’ and is first attested in the United States in the 1713 ‘Works of Thomas Chalkley’. The full saying is: ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’."

Last edited by katharsis; 03-29-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Crack down on what? Exhorbitant housing costs in California causing people to have to double up in crappy apartments while their slumlords laugh all the way to the bank?

Because that's what this article was about.
There is no excuse for allowing that^^^^to happen. Do you know the problems that overcrowded housing causes? It causes disease to rapidly spread. It becomes a fire hazard as the electrical system in a single family home isn't adequate enough to serve 16-20. The plumbing system also isn't adequate to handle that many people either. A failed plumbing system also is a cause of diseases spreading. In some flophouses, since there aren't enough toilets, the residents use the backyard. Since they want to hide the fact that they have a flophouse, they often don't put out their trash and instead leave it in the backyard, which attracts vermin.

The law-abiding people who live one family to a house find that once flophouses show up on their street, their property values go down as well as their quality of life.

It's a simple fact. If the only way you can live somewhere is to overcrowd, then you can't afford to live there. For example, suppose I want to rent an apartment in NYC on 5th Avenue that has a view of Central Park. I take a look at what a one bedroom rents for and quickly realize that the only way I could make the rent is to move 10 or 12 more people in with me. That right there tells me that I can't afford to live there. No to mention that no decent landlord would put up with anyone doing the overcrowding.

Over 100 years ago (as I mentioned in my other post in this thread) there was a massive crackdown on overcrowding. People had figured that overcrowded tenements spread disease and were fire hazards. Our country managed just fine. Today a massive crackdown on this type of living will send more illegals packing. Those who are here legally and do this, will face heavy fines and ordered to rip out anything in their home that wasn't up to code.

As long as we have jurisdictions willing to turn a blind eye to this nonsense, it will continue. If it continues, it will allow sleazy businesses to continually underpay their employees. Americans won't put up with living in overcrowded conditions. The vast majority of us grew up knowing that it was unacceptable to live that way.

About 10 years ago, my Dad was living in a senior citizen trailer park in Las Vegas. My nephew went to there with the intention of finding work then getting his own place. Nephew had back of the house restaurant experience so he went out and pounded the pavement. Everywhere he went, they weren't hiring. He noticed all the Hispanics working these jobs. When he went out to look for housing, he quickly learned that if he got a BOH job at a restaurant, he couldn't afford the rent on an efficiency apartment. He asked my Dad how these "Mexicans" (his word, not mine) can afford to live here. My Dad told him they live up to 20 people in a house or apartment.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I worked in a South Florida School District where EVERY child was given a Free Breakfast, including on school breaks and Summers, whatever their parents income level was.

Yes, darlings, in this area even children living in McMansions on the Gulf could get this, not just your "illegals".
Yes,, some school districts do it that way. It happens at my grandkids school---everybody got free breakfast---whether they needed it or not. That's neither here nor there. The point being made is there shouldn't be such high levels of kids needing this type of assistance.

No need for you to be condescending.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:47 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
[quote=BOS2IAD;47675998]Yes,, some school districts do it that way. It happens at my grandkids school---everybody got free breakfast---whether they needed it or not. That's neither here nor there. The point being made is there shouldn't be such high levels of kids needing this type of assistance.

No need for you to be condescending.[/QUOTE
Yes it is. Children are Children whether they are rich, poor, disabled, their parents are migrants or illegals. They all deserve to be fed and educated.

A child cannot choose who their parents are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration