U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,315,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Hence, legalize those law abiding illegals and toughen immigration laws to prevent the present situation from repeating itself. As Americans we need to show humanity to others.
NO need to give amnesty to any illegal alien. We've got lots of Americans who are willing to work, just have to pay our kind proper wages and, NOT treat us like slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:00 PM

11,572 posts, read 5,541,332 times
Quote:
Hence, legalize those law abiding illegals and toughen immigration laws to prevent the present situation from repeating itself. As Americans we need to show humanity to others.
Once again, we tried it your way in 1986. Democrats promised that it would be the one and only amnesty (we've had several stealth amnesties since then), the borders would be secured (that has never happened) and illegals would never be able to work (we have 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force today).

You either weren't born yet in 1986 or you were too young to remember. It bears repeating as much as possible that the 1986 amnesty was a huge disaster.

As that old saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We need to "show humanity" for our own suffering citizens. Charity starts at home.

Feel free to take in several illegals into your own home. Feed, clothe, shelter, pay for their medical care and their immigration lawyers. Give them your SSN so that they can find work. Just remind them not to use your name with it as their is a despicable loophole in the law that says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. As you can imagine, when that happens to a victim, they are left with a mess to clean up. The SSA won't tell you if someone is using your SSN. You only learn when the IRS comes after you for not filing taxes for a job you never worked.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:09 PM

1,077 posts, read 497,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
NO need to give amnesty to any illegal alien. We've got lots of Americans who are willing to work, just have to pay our kind proper wages and, NOT treat us like slaves.
Leaving people in indefinite limbo isn't a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Once again, we tried it your way in 1986. Democrats promised that it would be the one and only amnesty (we've had several stealth amnesties since then), the borders would be secured (that has never happened) and illegals would never be able to work (we have 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force today).

You either weren't born yet in 1986 or you were too young to remember. It bears repeating as much as possible that the 1986 amnesty was a huge disaster.

As that old saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We need to "show humanity" for our own suffering citizens. Charity starts at home.

Feel free to take in several illegals into your own home. Feed, clothe, shelter, pay for their medical care and their immigration lawyers. Give them your SSN so that they can find work. Just remind them not to use your name with it as their is a despicable loophole in the law that says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. As you can imagine, when that happens to a victim, they are left with a mess to clean up. The SSA won't tell you if someone is using your SSN. You only learn when the IRS comes after you for not filing taxes for a job you never worked.
Why do you have to inject partisan politics into this discussion? One of the biggest beneficiaries of illegal labor are big businesses and we know that they along with the Chamber of Commerce tend to skew Republican. This issue cuts across the aisle.

I'm not nave and I strongly oppose the welfare state, hence why I'm calling for sensible immigration reform. Illegals here without criminal records should pay penalties, contribute to the system and share the burden. You and I know that MOST politicians and Americans would never tolerate the mass deportation of over 11M+ people, so we must come up with a sensible solution.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,315,239 times
Quote:

Why do you have to inject partisan politics into this discussion? One of the biggest beneficiaries of illegal labor are big businesses and we know that they along with the Chamber of Commerce tend to skew Republican. This issue cuts across the aisle.

I'm not nave and I strongly oppose the welfare state, hence why I'm calling for sensible immigration reform. Illegals here without criminal records should pay penalties, contribute to the system and share the burden. You and I know that MOST politicians and Americans would never tolerate the mass deportation of over 11M+ people, so we must come up with a sensible solution.
Limbo? Really? Seriously?

If here illegally; just go home. That ain't "limbo".

Old 04-01-2017, 10:35 PM

11,572 posts, read 5,541,332 times
Quote:

Why not inject "partisan politics" into the discussion? Reagan, a republican, agreed to the 1986 amnesty only because the democrats made promises they never kept. Before he was stricken with Alzheimer's, he said he regretted the amnesty because the dems reneged on their promises. Too little, too late.

What you call "sensible immigration reform" is just a euphemism for amnesty. How is that fair to legal immigrants who obeyed our immigration laws and patiently waited their turn to come here?

No one is talking about "mass deportation". Besides, it's more that 11+ million illegals. The government has been feeding us that number for years. Yet, every single day illegals sneak across the border or overstay visas.

Doing what we're doing now----which is letting ICE and the Border Patrol do their jobs plus making life so tough for illegals that they will leave on their own accord will work just fine. After all, if you couldn't find work, collect welfare or collect unemployment, would you stick around someplace where you have no business being there?

Once again, the 1986 amnesty was a total disaster. That old saying still holds true: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

We owe illegals nothing but a one way ticket back home---if even that.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:49 AM

1,017 posts, read 556,408 times
The world is over-populated as it is. Food, land, water, etc. are being depleted, and destroyed by mankind

It's simple: With less population, the needs of the population also go down. What oh what did we do 50 years ago? Answer: We did just fine - even better than fine.

Angela was very mis-advised by allowing a million third worlders into Germany, not only wreaking havoc, staggering high crime rates, but stomping all over its culture. I lived in Germany on several occasions (father was on sabbatical leave). Charming, picturesque cities and villages going back centuries, castles dotting the countryside, with a deep-rooted culture. The nicest people I have ever met are native Deutschlanders. (But then I also found the French to be warm.)

We are in the illegal forum, right?

Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why not inject "partisan politics" into the discussion? Reagan, a republican, agreed to the 1986 amnesty only because the democrats made promises they never kept. Before he was stricken with Alzheimer's, he said he regretted the amnesty because the dems reneged on their promises. Too little, too late.

Once again, the 1986 amnesty was a total disaster. That old saying still holds true: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

We owe illegals nothing but a one way ticket back home---if even that.
Yup, I am chiming in on Reagan's deep regret. Teddy promised this was a one-time deal. Supposedly there were only 4 million illegals who benefitted from this huge kerfuffle.

"Immigration reform," as we all know, means amnesty.

#gohome#

Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,112,104 times
Quote:
America needs immigrants and I'm hoping for immigration reform to fix this broken system. I think the time is right to provide a path to citizenship for otherwise law abiding illegal immigrants while reorienting the system towards being a merit based one.
We don't have a broken system, just lack of enforcement of our immigration laws and we are currently fixing that. "Otherwise law-abiding illegal immigrants"?

The Myth of the

http://www.irli.org/national-security-public-safety

When tagged "illegal" everything after that point is tainted with "illegal". I really feel if those promoting illegal aliens did more research rather than just listen to liberal media.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; we have lots of "bodies" of working age but, many of us WON'T put up with stuff that illegal aliens will cause their kind are afraid of being deported. Many of us WILL do some serious work if we're paid well enough and, NOT "dogged" cause managers keep changing the rules.
And, we pick up the tab for what those employers aren't paying in the way of public assistance.

Quote:
Law abiding illegal is an oxymoron. We don't need to toughen immigration laws, simply enforce them. Thousands poured in during Obama's 8 years of promising them amnesty and we can't fix that overnight.

Quote:

There is no limbo. They are aware of the laws. What you imply is that if I robbed a bank and am hiding out, it isn't fair that they haven't caught me yet leaving me in limbo, so they should, in all fairness to me, just write that crime off? What?

One of the biggest drains of illegal labor is on the taxpayers picking up the slack. If they legalize the illegals making them entitled to more, including public assistance benefits for the entire family, then more illegals will come into the country to work for less..........and the problem GROWS!

Illegals aliens are illegal and should be considered that first and always. We do not need immigration reform. From everything I am seeing outside of 3 or 4 states that abuse illegal aliens for their profit, people are delighted to see Trump keeping his promise to enforce immigration law.

The sensible solution when it comes to laws made by the people and for the benefit of our people is to enforce those laws. It is SO simple.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 04-02-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 PM

1,168 posts, read 685,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
We probably need around 2-5 million a year to prevent economic collapse.
We were doing just fine during the 1950s-1970s. Why do you think we need more people? Do you like crowded freeways, parks, housing developments, urban and suburban sprawl? The current growth in this country and world wide is UNSUSTAINABLE!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
We were doing just fine during the 1950s-1970s. Why do you think we need more people? Do you like crowded freeways, parks, housing developments, urban and suburban sprawl? The current growth in this country and world wide is UNSUSTAINABLE!
Ditto.

You ought to see the SF Bay Area. The congestion on the freeways is ridiculous, public transportation is overrun, housing costs are out of control, roads are full of potholes. Hundreds of apartment buildings are under construction on every available speck of land, yet surface streets remain the same as they were in the 1950s. Techies flock to Silicon Valley (how I hate that term) because "it's cool." Zuckerberg, et al. will not open out-of-state offices, preferring to have all employees living and working in the Bay Area. Cost of living is through the roof (highest in the country).

Under the subject of minor pet peeves, trying to find an "American restaurant" is a real challenge, as the eating establishments cater largely to the population (and why not? makes sense with all the diversity). Grocery shopping, errands, etc. take twice as long as five years ago, about the time this out-of-control growth started. To top everything off, the rudeness and entitled attitudes of the newbies are stunning.

Yeah, let's keep adding and adding more headcount until we are living shoulder to shoulder. As many of my friends, who are also long-time residents say, it's time for an earthquake or the plague to thin out the local population*. I am half joking but it has reached crisis proportions.

-------------------------
*When so many tech companies collapsed and their employees left the area back in 2000 to 2003, office buildings for miles were empty, cost of housing was reasonable (landlords competed with one another to attract tenants), ah, those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or