U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:30 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,211,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Tell me which country could have given her 500,000 people for several years in a row?

This was her way of ensuring the future of Germany at a slight cost to safety and culture, the goal being that the immigrants will eventually assimilate, if not in this generation, then the next, and they won't have to do this again. If she waited and did this later, the population of Germany would even be lower, meaning that the immigrants would make a higher percentage of the population.

She was effectively preventing a Greece like economic collapse. Greece has about 99% Greeks there.

Those favoring cutting immigration are basically favoring a Greece-like society.
Do you really believe that muslims will assimilate? Tell all the murder and rape victims that they are paying a "slight cost to safety" in order to help their country! I imagine that India could have spared 500,000 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 08:27 AM

24,204 posts, read 13,710,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Those who think endless growth is a necessity need to realize that life can go on rather nicely without it. I live in Vermont. Our population is flat thus far this decade and growth was pretty minimal the decade prior to that. Our unemployment rate is extremely low. Violent crime is extremely low. Quality of life is high. Our natural resources are not being stressed with development demands. We're doing just fine.
Good point. Too many people have the idea that bigger is better .
Many for example claim NYC is the best city because it's the largest by population .
Sure that's not the only reason they say that but I think it plays a big role .

I live in L.A and I can see the negatives of overcrowding . If you speak to anyone that was around back in the 50s,60, 70s they'll tell you how nice things were .
I used to live in busier parts of the city but now I'm in a less dense part of the city and it's nicer.
Sort of an interesting area as there are horse stables and hiking trails but it's within the city limits .

I've heard a lot of good things about Vermont , would like to visit there sometime .

Old 04-03-2017, 06:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 787,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Good point. Too many people have the idea that bigger is better .
Many for example claim NYC is the best city because it's the largest by population .
Sure that's not the only reason they say that but I think it plays a big role .

I live in L.A and I can see the negatives of overcrowding . If you speak to anyone that was around back in the 50s,60, 70s they'll tell you how nice things were .
I used to live in busier parts of the city but now I'm in a less dense part of the city and it's nicer.
Sort of an interesting area as there are horse stables and hiking trails but it's within the city limits .

I've heard a lot of good things about Vermont , would like to visit there sometime .
It is a hidden treasure for sure. Its a small State but with only 626,000 people, you won't find it crowded. Life is good.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 AM

2,645 posts, read 683,166 times
Quote:
I understand this, but you missed the point.

America would already be like Japan had it not been for immigration. We have birth rates that are very similar to many countries in Europe but immigrants stemmed the tide.

Now with no immigration won't we become just like the declining European nations of Greece?
This really has to do more with the economy than the temporary immigration ban and or correcting our immigration policy.

We lose immigrants when the economy is bad and gain when it's good regardless. The only thing we will lose are illegals who don't immigrate properly. Most of the farm workers would love a guest worker program and not a pathway to immigration. They like Mexico, and they like being a citizen of Mexico. They just want work.

The mid-western states are starting to use guest worker programs again. Hopefully California follows although they don't seem to have that desire. They are more likely to take on the feds and fight.

As the economy starts to recover you will see a lot more people having more children. Children are expensive.

Japan is a different story, and doesn't compare to America as to why population growth is stunted.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 AM

2,645 posts, read 683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
It is a hidden treasure for sure. Its a small State but with only 626,000 people, you won't find it crowded. Life is good.
Life is good and really cold. lol

Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 AM

11,385 posts, read 7,420,173 times
Quote:
I understand this, but you missed the point.

America would already be like Japan had it not been for immigration. We have birth rates that are very similar to many countries in Europe but immigrants stemmed the tide.

Now with no immigration won't we become just like the declining European nations of Greece?
I am not able to draw a line from stagnant population growth to economic decline. I see them as two unconnected points.

But when you take these two points and enter in a third point called "growth of government" you end up with a decline. That's what I see in Greece, where 30 year-olds protest in the street because they will not be able to retire when they are 50.

It doesn't have to be like this. Stop government growth and you forestall an economic disaster. If you encourage government growth but then reduce the population you create a disaster. Look to Russia for that scenario.

I would like to see America reduce the size (and functions!) of its government in order to accommodate the new reality of near zero population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or