U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:09 AM

379 posts, read 201,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Do you know any undocumented immigrants? I do, and they aren't worried about how long they have to wait on supermarket lines or Uber surge pricing.
I don't know any. What are their worries? Let's hear them and come up with a humane solution. My concerns should also be addressed.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:14 AM

379 posts, read 201,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The problem I see with this whole debate is...

What about all the people trying to move here legally. My friend has been waiting for his green card for 10 years now, he has to pay an annual fee to extend his current visa, he doesn't qualify for 99% of scholarships, he can't leave the country without paying a $500 permit fee, he keeps getting told by the government we are backed up, but it will happen soon, the immigration lawyer keeps taking his money... this is a common story for those immigrating to America legally.
Many of these people are doctors, professors, and engineers who are making significant contributions to America. So, I don't understand why they have such ridiculous wait times for a green card. To me it's unfair that they came here legally and are being jerked around like that. But we don't hear about them because they are not out on the street protesting. They are busy doing research and improving the economy of this country.

I recently saw a news article where surgeons in Houston who came here legally were about to be deported due to green card complications and mistakes made by the government. Really? Think of the patients that would be left hanging.

I believe the legal immigration mess is largely ignored. I didn't hear anything about it during the campaign. It's very sad. Talk about creating jobs.. why not create more jobs to fix the immigration system? I hear the back log is due to under staffing and my simple grocery store analogy where you wait in line like that comes to mind.

How often do you find CNN or any media outlet covering the stories and hardships of legal immigrants? Never. But every time I blink my eye, there is a story on CNN about a family being ripped apart due to illegal immigration and deportation. I am sympathetic to this but at the same time the coverage is so one sided. It's very unfair.

Last edited by Opt_10; 04-05-2017 at 02:27 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 AM

16,649 posts, read 16,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I also agree with you. The people who have waited and done things the "right way" get shafted in this process.

Immigration policy is complex. There is no one size fits all solution and it is not as simple as "build the wall."
I'm not saying building a wall is going to fix the immigration system, I'm just saying there IS a difference between immigrants and illegal immigrants. Also, every immigration lawyer will tell you it is so slow because of all the layers of bureaucracy and being overloaded with too many applicants to handle.

When it comes to fairness, it isn't fair for people to simply jump the fence or fly in with no intention to leave and then demand politicians to give them all the rights and benefits American citizens receive. It isn't fair. Two of my family's past employees was from Malaysia. One had a wife and baby in China and the other had a wife in Malaysia. By the time his wife and baby were able to finally come and live together, his son was 6 years old. The other is still waiting for his wife to be approved. They have spent so many thousands of dollars in lawyer fees. It just isn't fair, they are incredible, extremely hard working people too.

We need to secure our border, enforce our laws, so we can focus on improving processing times for all our legal immigrants. By saying, "hey if you make it over the border, we won't deport you, in fact we will protect you from the feds, give you licenses, give you healthcare, give you in-state tuition... it's just opening the flood gates to make an overcrowded inefficient system that much worse, which will only hurt those who are doing things the right way.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 15,351 times
I live in Canada and I said to the wife the other day , imagine if we went to the US for a holiday , then just decided to stay forever. Rent a house, work under the table for cash use the local resources like water , sewer, power ect. , and enjoy the sunny California weather.

We both laughed because this would not only be wrong but illegal.

Lots of people go to the US and do that exact same thing. It's not fair to those who do it legally. I agree with the idea of a wall , although I am not convinced for the cost it will be completely effective.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM

1,759 posts, read 851,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
We should have had walls long time ago along the perimeter of the entire country so that no one would have ever immigrated to America legally or illegally. ever. oh.. wait. then America would have just had only native Americans.
Umm... you're disproving your own point

Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 AM

5,926 posts, read 9,095,595 times
Haven't you all heard? The Mexicans are going to build the wall. Then the Canadians are going to build a wall along their border. Then the europeans are all going to chip in and provide the lid.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,628,387 times
Headline from the April 5 Union-Tribune: "17-Year Low in Arrests for Illegal Crossings at Border".

Why are we spending $51 billion on a useless border wall? Spend the money on projects that are genuinely needed and have merit.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,603,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Lol. What a joke. The idea of a wall is racist, unnecessary, irrelevant, and unnatural.We should have had walls long time ago along the perimeter of the entire country so that no one would have ever immigrated to America legally or illegally. ever. oh.. wait. then America would have just had only native Americans.. I recommend the following to make San Diego great again.

1. Overcrowded and understaffed grocery stores. Yikes. Ralphs and Vons sucks ass. Allocate funding to better staff these stores. And the self check out counter closes at 10 pm. Really? SD stores are overcrowded even at midnight. Huh.

2. More parking structures particualrly in PB, hillcrest, and La jolla. It is extremely inconvenient to drive to these places and not find parking.

3. A better solution to uber surge pricing. Of course we are going to ask for uber at 2 am when the bars shut. Come up with a better plan to accommodate us instead of surging prices to ridiculous amounts. This is what is probably causing drunk driving. Surge pricing is highly inconvenient.

4. Allocate separate designated neighborhoods for irresponsible dog owners. Prohibit them from moving to other neighborhoods.
So you want government to regulate Uber and Grocery stores. Tell me some more

SD biggest issue is its lack of attention to infrastructure - of course the leaders here thought that pushing a Stadium through so tourists can attend football games 8 times a year is a better idea.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,603,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogan421 View Post
I live in Canada and I said to the wife the other day , imagine if we went to the US for a holiday , then just decided to stay forever. Rent a house, work under the table for cash use the local resources like water , sewer, power ect. , and enjoy the sunny California weather.

We both laughed because this would not only be wrong but illegal.

Lots of people go to the US and do that exact same thing. It's not fair to those who do it legally. I agree with the idea of a wall , although I am not convinced for the cost it will be completely effective.
Right here agree 100%

Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM

7,198 posts, read 7,560,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The problem I see with this whole debate is...

What about all the people trying to move here legally. My friend has been waiting for his green card for 10 years now, he has to pay an annual fee to extend his current visa, he doesn't qualify for 99% of scholarships, he can't leave the country without paying a $500 permit fee, he keeps getting told by the government we are backed up, but it will happen soon, the immigration lawyer keeps taking his money... this is a common story for those immigrating to America legally.

When the system is so overloaded and backed up, why are politicians fighting for in-state tuition, driver license, right to work, fast passes to green card and even citizenship... WHY? Because it sounds good and it's easy to spin for votes.

It's like buying a ticket to see an expensive concert, meanwhile people are jumping the fence and trying to take your seat that you've been waiting hours in line for and paid tons of money for... then you hear from politicians and liberals, "Anyone who says these people don't deserve to see the concert are racist pigs!!!!! How can you be so cruel to concert goers!!!! There is no such thing as illegal concert goers, they are all the same and should be treated the same!!!!"
Stories like your friend is why we need REAL immigration reform, not this knee jerk reaction crap that the current administration is trying to roll out.
Although I'm kind of wondering why your friend doesn't qualify for scholarship, there's scholarships for damn near everybody
Back to the wall:
The wall will never get built. Building a damn wall will not solve the fricken problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or