U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 PM
 
379 posts, read 199,080 times
Reputation: 170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe you misunderstood me. I am saying that I do not agree with the new policy of the Trump administration of arresting and deporting undocumented people whose only crime was a misdemeanor like DUI or petty theft from 10 or 15 years ago. Obama had an aggressive policy of removing criminal aliens but the criteria was that they had committed serious or violent crimes (which I agree with). For some reason Trump has apparently instructed Kelly to change that policy to mean any arrest, ever no matter how minor an offense and they are applying that to DACA kids too.
I understood you and agree with you. I was simply offering additional logic to clarify that a DUI is an issue for legal immigrants too. You can't have one if you want to get a green card.

 
Old 04-05-2017, 11:40 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
I understood you and agree with you. I was simply offering additional logic to clarify that a DUI is an issue for legal immigrants too. You can't have one if you want to get a green card.
sorry sometimes I'm a little dense
 
Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
Reputation: 8981
I've been against all this border security since the beginning, its interesting to see how somuch of you just suddenly decided to care
 
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 AM
 
16,062 posts, read 9,234,697 times
Reputation: 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm about as liberal as they come and I will be glad to tell you what I think, that way you won't have to make stuff up.

As long as US employers can hire undocumented people with no fear of getting in trouble they will continue to do so. They get a workforce that won't unionize, won't complain, will never call OSHA, will never make any kind of fuss no matter how poorly they are treated THAT is why American employers continue to hire them. Put the employers who hire undocumented people in prison and the problem of illegal immigration will solve itself almost overnight.

I don't think that we should be arresting and deporting people who have been in this country for 15 or 20 years and who have a family and job just because they had a DUI or shoplifting arrest 10 years ago. If they are serious criminals, then by all means we should deport them. Give green cards to people who have jobs and families and have been here several years.

Birthright citizenship is absolutely stupid and we should add a constitutional amendment to end it, but that should be done prospectively, no one who was born here of non-citizen parents should have their citizenship revoked.
I agree with you. See miracles still happen.
 
Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I agree with you. See miracles still happen.
Most reasonable people agree in principle on about 90% of issues, it's just that politicians seize on the 10% that we disagree on to tear us apart and keep us divided. It's our bad that we allow that to happen.
 
Old 04-06-2017, 11:55 PM
 
Location: USA
16,564 posts, read 16,226,647 times
Reputation: 12523
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm about as liberal as they come and I will be glad to tell you what I think, that way you won't have to make stuff up.

As long as US employers can hire undocumented people with no fear of getting in trouble they will continue to do so. They get a workforce that won't unionize, won't complain, will never call OSHA, will never make any kind of fuss no matter how poorly they are treated THAT is why American employers continue to hire them. Put the employers who hire undocumented people in prison and the problem of illegal immigration will solve itself almost overnight.

I don't think that we should be arresting and deporting people who have been in this country for 15 or 20 years and who have a family and job just because they had a DUI or shoplifting arrest 10 years ago. If they are serious criminals, then by all means we should deport them. Give green cards to people who have jobs and families and have been here several years.

Birthright citizenship is absolutely stupid and we should add a constitutional amendment to end it, but that should be done prospectively, no one who was born here of non-citizen parents should have their citizenship revoked.
I almost agree with you 100% for once lol

1) I agree business owners or whoever does the hiring should be held accountable of intentionally hiring illegals. However, I don't agree that alone will get rid of the problem. Illegals will still come and if the choice is starve or rob, what do you think they will do?

2) I don't think people should be rounded up like animals, but if an illegal gets arrested or stopped for even a minor violation, I think they should get deported, but not banned from applying to come back.

3) I completely agree with you about birthright citizenship and children who have already been born here.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 12:13 AM
 
379 posts, read 199,080 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I almost agree with you 100% for once lol



2) I don't think people should be rounded up like animals, but if an illegal gets arrested or stopped for even a minor violation, I think they should get deported, but not banned from applying to come back.
Didn't they try that in Arizona some years ago? The "papers please" law. How did that work out for them? To solve a problem, it needs to be formulated properly, all scenarios analyzed, and solutions created methodically and patiently. Everything that has happened so far was done so hastily creating a huge embarrassment to this country. Case in point. The travel ban that back fired. Bigly!
 
Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Didn't they try that in Arizona some years ago? The "papers please" law. How did that work out for them? To solve a problem, it needs to be formulated properly, all scenarios analyzed, and solutions created methodically and patiently. Everything that has happened so far was done so hastily creating a huge embarrassment to this country. Case in point. The travel ban that back fired. Bigly!
We still have checkpoints. That hasn't changed.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I almost agree with you 100% for once lol

1) I agree business owners or whoever does the hiring should be held accountable of intentionally hiring illegals. However, I don't agree that alone will get rid of the problem. Illegals will still come and if the choice is starve or rob, what do you think they will do?

2) I don't think people should be rounded up like animals, but if an illegal gets arrested or stopped for even a minor violation, I think they should get deported, but not banned from applying to come back.

3) I completely agree with you about birthright citizenship and children who have already been born here.
I don't think they will come here unless there are jobs, but the way to find out would be to make employers accountable for hiring them and see how that impacts immigration. Here's a database of all businesses that use e-verfiy, if you feel strongly about this support them and shop at their stores and let them know why you are doing so.
https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/about-program/e-verify-employers-search-tool?topic_id=&federal_contractor=All&e_verify_emp loyer_agent=All&employer_state_code[0]=6&employer_zip_code=&employer_city=sacramento&ite ms_per_page=10&page=6 Want fast food, go to Chick-Fil-A, Ice Cream - Baskin Robbins. (Not all stores using e-verify are on this list, our local mc donald's has a sign in the window that they use e-verify but I don't see them listed).
 
Old 04-08-2017, 03:51 PM
 
2,138 posts, read 2,156,541 times
Reputation: 2310
Just make sure the materials used to build the wall will be salvageable. I've heard stories that mexicans sell the material for cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top