Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:19 PM

8,367 posts, read 7,568,290 times

Advertisements

SAN DIEGO — One bidder wants to cover President Donald Trump’s border wall with solar panels. Another suggests building a wall large enough for a deck that would offer tourists scenic views of the desert.

In the competition to build the wall, traditional bids are interspersed with more whimsical ideas.

As Tuesday’s deadline for bids passed, U.S. Customs and Border Protection declined to identify bidders or say how many there were, which is standard practice in government contracting. The federal government expects to announce around June 1 which companies will be hired to build prototypes.

A U.S. official with knowledge of the plans who spoke on condition of anonymity because the details have not been made public said four to 10 bidders are expected to be chosen to build prototypes for $200,000 to $500,000 each.

The prototypes will be constructed on a quarter-mile (400-meter) strip of federally owned land in San Diego within 120 feet (37 meters) of the border, though a final decision has not been made on the precise spot, the official said.

The Border Patrol and local police would establish a buffer zone around the construction site if necessary, the U.S. official said. The San Diego police and sheriff’s departments said they will respect constitutional rights to free speech and assembly for law-abiding protesters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...co/2017/04/04/

Possible Correct URL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.b9f3da580000

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-09-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 11:20 PM

480 posts, read 414,819 times
Lol. What a joke. The idea of a wall is racist, unnecessary, irrelevant, and unnatural.We should have had walls long time ago along the perimeter of the entire country so that no one would have ever immigrated to America legally or illegally. ever. oh.. wait. then America would have just had only native Americans.. I recommend the following to make San Diego great again.

1. Overcrowded and understaffed grocery stores. Yikes. Ralphs and Vons sucks ass. Allocate funding to better staff these stores. And the self check out counter closes at 10 pm. Really? SD stores are overcrowded even at midnight. Huh.

2. More parking structures particualrly in PB, hillcrest, and La jolla. It is extremely inconvenient to drive to these places and not find parking.

3. A better solution to uber surge pricing. Of course we are going to ask for uber at 2 am when the bars shut. Come up with a better plan to accommodate us instead of surging prices to ridiculous amounts. This is what is probably causing drunk driving. Surge pricing is highly inconvenient.

4. Allocate separate designated neighborhoods for irresponsible dog owners. Prohibit them from moving to other neighborhoods.

Last edited by Opt_10; 04-05-2017 at 12:05 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Lol. What a joke. The idea of a wall is racist, unnecessary, irrelevant, and unnatural.We should have had walls long time ago along the perimeter of the entire country so that no one would have ever immigrated to America legally or illegally. ever. oh.. wait. then America would have just had only native Americans..
Please explain. You have totally confused me. What do parking structures in Pacific Beach, grocery stores, Uber, and dogs have to do with the U.S-Mexican border/immigration?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 AM

Well. I am trying to say there are pressing needs in San Deigo/America and the wall is not one of them. Most people would agree that the points I made will improve SD and the country but the wall will only create more problems instead of solving them.

Also it baffles me that we are so focused on illegal immigration when legal immigration is just a huge mess. My friend is going through legal immigration right now and it's such a messy and complicated process. Most Americans are clueless about this and it is never talked about.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,871,880 times
Too bad these companies don't participate and do resist because of the money.
Too bad that maybe these folks will go around the wall via the baja, ocean, & gulf waters with decreased coastal guard.
Too bad this wall will ultimately be knocked down like Mister Gorbachav's.
Too bad Americans but not the most rich will be paying for this.
So many better uses for the money - like healthcare, education, environment, smart business policies.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Too bad these companies don't participate and do resist because of the money.
Too bad that maybe these folks will go around the wall via the baja, ocean, & gulf waters with decreased coastal guard.
Too bad this wall will ultimately be knocked down like Mister Gorbachav's.
Too bad Americans but not the most rich will be paying for this.
So many better uses for the money - like healthcare, education, environment, smart business policies.
Yep, on this we agree, bloom.

There is already a wall along the California-Mexico border. No need to spend billions building another one when we have so many better uses for the money.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yep, on this we agree, bloom.

There is already a wall along the California-Mexico border. No need to spend billions building another one when we have so many better uses for the money.
I already stated where the money should go. Better grocery stores and more parking structures. This has to happen. You cannot have 8 people standing in line at von's with just one person to check out. And this happens at 11:50 pm 10 minutes before close. Are you serious?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
I already stated where the money should go. Better grocery stores and more parking structures. This has to happen. You cannot have 8 people standing in line at von's with just one person to check out. And this happens at 11:50 pm 10 minutes before close. Are you serious?
Do you know any undocumented immigrants? I do, and they aren't worried about how long they have to wait on supermarket lines or Uber surge pricing.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 AM

24,333 posts, read 26,746,655 times
The problem I see with this whole debate is...

What about all the people trying to move here legally. My friend has been waiting for his green card for 10 years now, he has to pay an annual fee to extend his current visa, he doesn't qualify for 99% of scholarships, he can't leave the country without paying a $500 permit fee, he keeps getting told by the government we are backed up, but it will happen soon, the immigration lawyer keeps taking his money... this is a common story for those immigrating to America legally.

When the system is so overloaded and backed up, why are politicians fighting for in-state tuition, driver license, right to work, fast passes to green card and even citizenship... WHY? Because it sounds good and it's easy to spin for votes.

It's like buying a ticket to see an expensive concert, meanwhile people are jumping the fence and trying to take your seat that you've been waiting hours in line for and paid tons of money for... then you hear from politicians and liberals, "Anyone who says these people don't deserve to see the concert are racist pigs!!!!! How can you be so cruel to concert goers!!!! There is no such thing as illegal concert goers, they are all the same and should be treated the same!!!!"

Old 04-05-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The problem I see with this whole debate is...

What about all the people trying to move here legally. My friend has been waiting for his green card for 10 years now, he has to pay an annual fee to extend his current visa, he doesn't qualify for 99% of scholarships, he can't leave the country without paying a $500 permit fee, he keeps getting told by the government we are backed up, but it will happen soon, the immigration lawyer keeps taking his money... this is a common story for those immigrating to America legally.

When the system is so overloaded and backed up, why are politicians fighting for in-state tuition, driver license, right to work, fast passes to green card and even citizenship... WHY? Because it sounds good and it's easy to spin for votes.

It's like buying a ticket to see an expensive concert, meanwhile people are jumping the fence and trying to take your seat that you've been waiting hours in line for and paid tons of money for... then you hear from politicians and liberals, "Anyone who says these people don't deserve to see the concert are racist pigs!!!!! How can you be so cruel to concert goers!!!! There is no such thing as illegal concert goers, they are all the same and should be treated the same!!!!"
I also agree with you. The people who have waited and done things the "right way" get shafted in this process.

Immigration policy is complex. There is no one size fits all solution and it is not as simple as "build the wall."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration