U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 11:53 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times

Advertisements

FELIZIO GONZALES, (through interpreter): You come back here knowing nothing about your future.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Fifty-two-year-old Felizio Gonzales was arrested last year in Seattle for running a stop sign. He’s been living in the U.S. as an undocumented immigrant installing carpets for the last 20 years.

Deported to Mexico, these men feel lost in a country they no longer know | PBS NewsHour

For a person who no longer knows their country and culture: why don't you speak good English? That excuse doesn't fly. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
FELIZIO GONZALES, (through interpreter): You come back here knowing nothing about your future.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Fifty-two-year-old Felizio Gonzales was arrested last year in Seattle for running a stop sign. He’s been living in the U.S. as an undocumented immigrant installing carpets for the last 20 years.

Deported to Mexico, these men feel lost in a country they no longer know | PBS NewsHour

For a person who no longer knows their country and culture: why don't you speak good English? That excuse doesn't fly. Sorry.
Agreed 100%. He's not like one of the twenty year olds that have been here since they were two and don't know any life except American life. Eff this guy.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 AM

1,125 posts, read 448,924 times
Again you were not deported for running a stop sign...you were here illegally. Probably can tack on tax evasion, welfare fraud, id theft, and driving without insurance...just sayin'. Party is over hasta la vista baby

Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
He spent the majority of his life in his own country and had the opportunity to stay there and make a life for himself. We all make choices and sometimes their are unpleasant consequences. Not a big deal, just life.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 PM

5,769 posts, read 3,093,113 times
Perhaps an actual citizen can get a job installing carpeting now.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:20 PM

NICK SCHIFRIN: Rudy Lopez leads an organization that provides basic immediate assistance. He says he feels recent arrivals’ pain. He was deported for traffic tickets and getting in a fight a year-and-a-half ago. His two American children still live in Las Vegas.

RUDY LOPEZ: I fight because I don’t like families being destroyed, you know? I miss my boy. I miss my daughter.

So how come you didn't bring your children with you?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 PM

NICK SCHIFRIN: But that has left some of the deported in no man’s land, too scared to try and cross back to their American lives, forsaken by their birth country that feels alien.

Martin Lopez is 48. He was born in Tijuana, but spent 44 years in California. He worked in restaurants and says he paid taxes. He was deported three months ago after he says he took the rap for his American wife’s welfare fraud.

MARTIN LOPEZ: I had to, because I didn’t want my kids taken away from her.

NICK SCHIFRIN: He left Mexico when he was 4, and doesn’t have his birth certificate. He never got any American documentation. He feels like a John Doe. He’s run out of money and hope.

If he had no American documentation how did he pay taxes?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:50 PM

1,125 posts, read 448,924 times
He was born in East LA?

Old 04-14-2017, 10:09 PM

8,225 posts, read 7,160,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
NICK SCHIFRIN: But that has left some of the deported in no man’s land, too scared to try and cross back to their American lives, forsaken by their birth country that feels alien.

Martin Lopez is 48. He was born in Tijuana, but spent 44 years in California. He worked in restaurants and says he paid taxes. He was deported three months ago after he says he took the rap for his American wife’s welfare fraud.

MARTIN LOPEZ: I had to, because I didn’t want my kids taken away from her.

NICK SCHIFRIN: He left Mexico when he was 4, and doesn’t have his birth certificate. He never got any American documentation. He feels like a John Doe. He’s run out of money and hope.

If he had no American documentation how did he pay taxes?
Ask the IRS.

Quote:
The Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure that people – including unauthorized [read: ILLEGAL] immigrants – pay taxes even if they do not have a Social Security number and regardless of their immigration status.
https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...on-number-itin

Same way public schools don't need illegal kids' proof of anything.

Quote:
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Plyler vs. Doe (457 U.S. 202 (1982)) that undocumented children and young adults have the same right to attend public primary and secondary schools as do U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Like other children, undocumented students are obliged under state law to attend school until they reach a mandated age. As a result of the Plyler ruling, public schools may not:

Deny admission to a student during initial enrollment or at any other time on the basis of undocumented status.

Treat a student differently to determine residency.

Engage in any practices to "chill" the right of access to school.

Require students or parents to disclose or document their immigration status.

Make inquiries of students or parents that may expose their undocumented status.

Require social security numbers from all students, as this may expose undocumented status.
Immigrant Student

Old 04-15-2017, 08:07 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
NICK SCHIFRIN: Rudy Lopez leads an organization that provides basic immediate assistance. He says he feels recent arrivals’ pain. He was deported for traffic tickets and getting in a fight a year-and-a-half ago. His two American children still live in Las Vegas.

RUDY LOPEZ: I fight because I don’t like families being destroyed, you know? I miss my boy. I miss my daughter.

So how come you didn't bring your children with you?
If they take the kids out of the country, the welfare checks stop. You cannot draw SSI if you leave the country. We have an adult son with DS, and his brother and my DIL, from the Philippines, may move there after my son retires from the military. If they move our son there after our death, he would no longer qualify for SSI benefits even though he would remain a citizen of the US, this does not concern our older son as he would be in a position to cover the expenses, but leaving those anchors here means the checks keep coming in and considering they reproduced to anchor...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Ask the IRS.

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...on-number-itin

Same way public schools don't need illegal kids' proof of anything.

Immigrant Student
I do not understand why they did this. ALL of our schools are budget strained and they introduced that poison into the system. Here, the elementary school 2 blocks from the Teacher's college rates a 3 out of 10 because the teacher spends most of her time dealing with children who do not speak English. We are losing good teachers because of this as they are so frustrated and still expected to meet certain standards that are impossible with the time spent on these anchors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or