U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2006, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
481 posts, read 808,463 times
Reputation: 753

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How do you know they're all illegal? Having darker skin, or speaking a different language, doesn't automatically mean they're illegal and/or poor. Now if you're just asking why they have higher percentages of illegal immigrants, as compared to the rest of the country, it's like the other poster said. They go where the jobs are, and where they can stay "under the radar," I suppose.
Basically, you know they're illegal when:
A. They don't speak English or understand it. Understanding and speaking the language at at least a basic level is required for legal immigration.
B. They look shady and are obviously of a low class in life. Now, to avoid being taken out of context, I am NOT saying low class people are akin to illegals or that this is a fool proof method, but when a Hispanic comes into your store with grime all over their clothes and hands when the area does not have anything around which would cause that grime, it's a good bet they're not legal.
C. They carry around hundreds of dollars in ones and fives. This is because they can't get bank accounts without appropriate documents unless the bank is shady.

This is from my experience as a cashier/sales clerk for a major retail chain. I see these people every day and believe me, you see them and you just know.

I really hate when they have their little 5 year old children with them as translators. It's like a slap in the face to all real citizens of this nation. They run across the border and then they procreate. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2006, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Thumb of Michigan
4,489 posts, read 6,658,763 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
For all the reasons above, Phoenix has 3,000 illegals come here every day. Phoenix will be the next Mexico.....
I lived on the west side of Phoenix around "95" to "97" and i couldn't stress enough to you then it's already a mini-Mexico there.

Thanks to NAFTA...Mexico is becoming one of our states to the union! Time to buy some more beach front property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,152,921 times
Reputation: 1784
In short, they can afford it because they have a lower standard of living than your average American. Illegals are willing to take jobs Americans aren't, to live in places most Americans won't, to make sacrifices Americans refuse to make in terms of transport (taking buses and/or walking far distances) and co-habitation (sleeping on a sofa, five people per bedroom, etc.) and such. The average American is simply not willing to share a one-bedroom apartment with seven other people, and scrimp and save every penny, but if they were willing, they too could afford to live in a place as expensive as San Francisco and New York on a low salary as well and to have some money left over each month to do as they please (which most immigrants, legal and illegal, use to send home to their families).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Basically, you know they're illegal when:
A. They don't speak English or understand it. Understanding and speaking the language at at least a basic level is required for legal immigration.
This is actually incorrect. Basic English is required to obtain U.S. citizenship (and there are loopholes to this as well with Puerto Ricans and others), NOT to legally immigrate to the United States. In fact, the overwhelming majority of refugees and asylum seekers in this country have little to no English knowledge prior to coming to the country. English knowledge is not a pre-requisite to legal immigration. There can be arguments made as to whether it should be, but where it stands now, it is not, and it never has been (how many people have European ancestors who came to this country only speaking Italian, Polish, German or Czech? Most all of them).
Quote:
B. They look shady and are obviously of a low class in life. Now, to avoid being taken out of context, I am NOT saying low class people are akin to illegals or that this is a fool proof method, but when a Hispanic comes into your store with grime all over their clothes and hands when the area does not have anything around which would cause that grime, it's a good bet they're not legal.
Possibly. However I also see a good number of white men with Southern accents where I live in paint-splattered dirty clothes as well and would be willing to bet that they are born-and-bred Americans. It's quite possible that these Latinos like these other men, just were only able to find work in that particular industry, in the case of the Latinos, oftentimes for linguistic reasons since they don't need to speak English whereas for the Americans, it's often due to educational reasons. I certainly realize that there's a much higher number of illegals in the construction industry, but I don't think just by virtue of working in this industry and speaking Spanish, that it's surefire guarantee of one's legal status.
Quote:
C. They carry around hundreds of dollars in ones and fives. This is because they can't get bank accounts without appropriate documents unless the bank is shady.
Many legal immigrants from various countries do this because they come from countries with shaky economies where banks are notoriously corrupt. Many Asian families keep their money in their homes and it's somewhat common for Asian gangs to stage home invasions on Asian immigrant families specifically because they know that they tend to keep large amounts of cash in their homes. Many immigrants from Africa, the Caribbean and various other nations in Latin America and parts of Europe do the same.
Quote:
I really hate when they have their little 5 year old children with them as translators. It's like a slap in the face to all real citizens of this nation. They run across the border and then they procreate. Disgusting.
The children if born in this country however, are legal citizens, just as much as anyone else born in this country even if their parents were not legal residents, and had no say in the actions of their parents and I don't think should be blamed for them.

Last edited by dullnboring; 12-04-2006 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 07:12 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 12,471,540 times
Reputation: 6952
Quote:
Companies like them because its cheap labor
Quote:
The liberals dont mind illegals
Uhm...hate to break this to you, but most business owners and CEOs are not raving liberals. In fact if you do a little digging and research their political contirbutions, you'll find quite to opposite to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,506 posts, read 23,188,178 times
Reputation: 8832
Thumbs down Not true needaffordable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Our liberal laws do little for illegal immigrants. Companies like them because its cheap labor for them where they only have to pay minimum wage. Minimum wage in America is a dream for those illegals who make a fraction of that in their home country. Many of them are homeless, share an apartment with several others or live in temporary shelters. They dont care, their family comes first and they send the money back to their family in their home country.

In small cities and towns, we arent tolerant of illegals and will refuse to hire any, we may arrest and deport them. In a big city, they can hide under the radar and the greedy companies will look the other way. If you arent tolerant of living with illegals then leave the city and move into a town with zero illegals. The liberals dont mind illegals and is why they stay in Miami, LA, SF, NYC, etc.
I am considered a liberal because I happen to believe people should have human rights (and health insurance- which many Americans no longer have)-however I do NOT agree with Bushie's guest worker program, because he is only pandering to corporate interests- SO everyone suffers. This country is headed downhill because of this issue alone- and Bush will NEVER do anything to stop it. It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,237,803 times
Reputation: 4895
Well when I had a lawn my lawnmower was robotic. All the maintenance here is done by me. The quality of work today is so bad, it's faster (and cheaper) for me to do it myself. It's wrong to pay someone less, and I refuse to do it. As a former business owner, and current co-owner I am not liberal or conservative but mostly Libertarian. The only thing I disagree with is an idea of open borders. Probably old fashioned as I believe technology can eliminate all menial work. Robots are wonderful and don't reproduce!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,186 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Reputation: 18598
Default Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
This is actually incorrect. Basic English is required to obtain U.S. citizenship (and there are loopholes to this as well with Puerto Ricans and others), NOT to legally immigrate to the United States. In fact, the overwhelming majority of refugees and asylum seekers in this country have little to no English knowledge prior to coming to the country. English knowledge is not a pre-requisite to legal immigration. There can be arguments made as to whether it should be, but where it stands now, it is not, and it never has been (how many people have European ancestors who came to this country only speaking Italian, Polish, German or Czech? Most all of them).

The children if born in this country however, are legal citizens, just as much as anyone else born in this country even if their parents were not legal residents, and had no say in the actions of their parents and I don't think should be blamed for them.
I agree with the above, and everything else you said! I had many Chinese friends growing up, and they ALL had at least one grandparent who didn't speak English - I highly doubt they snuck over here illegally. Heck, I could move to Germany tomorrow on a legal visa, even though I don't speak a word of their language... as a Jew, I could get Israeli citizenship almost immediately, and my Hebrew is pretty weak. As for using their children as "translators", what does the original poster think they should do?? One of my friends always translated to Chinese for her grandmother, and it never bothered me or anyone else... While it's nice to say "they should all learn our language immediately", that's just not possible, so they might need help in the meantime. I've taught ESL students, and trust me, English is not that easy to learn! Finally, I'll repeat you dullnboring, and say it's NEVER the fault of their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,186 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Reputation: 18598
Default Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
This is from my experience as a cashier/sales clerk for a major retail chain. I see these people every day and believe me, you see them and you just know.
I responded to the rest of your innaccurate post above, but thought I'd answer this separately...
I currently live in a town that is 65% Latino, and have lived & worked around the Spanish-speaking community for most of my life. And guess what? I still can't "spot the illegals" at first glance! Out of the 30+ Spanish-speaking parents I dealt with as a teacher, I have no clue as to who was legal vs. illegal. I only know of one for sure (who's legal now), and she was a very well-dressed, attractive, polite, and intelligent woman. Didn't speak much English, but she tried & we communicated through "Spanglish". Her daughter wrote a beautiful story of how/why her mother came here, and it was really heart-wrenching... at least to those of us with a heart. This woman was so kind, she invited me to her daughter's 1st Communion, cooked for me, and even sent thank-you notes when I helped with something extra. Not exactly the type you described, huh?

Anyway, you're admitting that your assumptions are based only on appearance and stereotypes... or as I said earlier, if they're brown-skinned and/or speak Spanish, you assume they're illegal. And I'm sorry, but that's just not a reliable way to conduct a witch-hunt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,576,997 times
Reputation: 6980
I just read this thread and won't even get into it. I can not believe how anyone can be so narrow minded. How you can go through life with that kind of mentality. Glad to see all the other posters who are trying to set things straight!!!

Last edited by vpcats; 12-05-2006 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Burlington, VT
483 posts, read 1,747,060 times
Reputation: 241
Default Nobody baked a cake for the Irish

I'm worried about the hatred I see directed toward immigrants, especially Hispanics. The governor of my state just gave the State Police the power to detain illegal immigrants. The Staties patrol the highways, and I have a feeling they won't be arresting illegal Irish immigrants.

They don't speak English or understand it.

They said the same thing about Irish and Jewish immigrants 100 years ago.

I really hate when they have their little 5 year old children with them as translators.

I've worked with and around immigrants most of my life, and they don't like it much, either. Believe it or not, most immigrants really want to learn English. In my area, publicly-funded (free) English classes have 2-year waiting lists, and private classes are everywhere. My mother used to teach English to immigrants (mostly factory workers), and classes at her agency filled up in minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top