U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM

21,522 posts, read 26,139,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Jeeze, so if my son got his German gf pregnant, she could leave the country, he should have no parental rights and the kid should not be an American citizen? Really?

There is something really, really wrong with that viewpoint. You consider little half-American, or Latino kids disposable alien critters but your user status whines about abortion. Cognitive dissonance.
If your son is a US citizen then his child is and should be a citizen by virtue of that. Few of us would say otherwise. The issue is with awarding citizenship to children where neither parent is a citizen. That is why the Fourteenth Amendment needs to be reworded to require that at least one parent be a citizen. That would end birth tourism, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,083,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If your son is a US citizen then his child is and should be a citizen by virtue of that. Few of us would say otherwise. The issue is with awarding citizenship to children where neither parent is a citizen. That is why the Fourteenth Amendment needs to be reworded to require that at least one parent be a citizen. That would end birth tourism, too.
I think the real issue is that the German mother, if deported since she is unlawfully present, would take her baby with her. Since they aren't married, I am not sure how that would play out.

Maybe the German gf, who is deportable, will be deported soon and the issue will disappear.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:54 PM

21,522 posts, read 26,139,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think the real issue is that the German mother, if deported since she is unlawfully present, would take her baby with her. Since they aren't married, I am not sure how that would play out.

Maybe the German gf, who is deportable, will be deported soon and the issue will disappear.
That could happen if the German mother were here lawfully and decided to take the baby home to Germany, too. That is a custody issue, not an immigration issue.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 PM

13,042 posts, read 7,208,434 times
It's horribly sad for someone to be forced out of a country after living in it for a long time. It breaks your heart to see someone deported and living in hardship because of it. But. If you break the law you need to be held accountable for it, whether it be ten days or ten years. It's not fair to the people who come here legally and abide by the laws of becoming a citizen. If you break the law you are playing Russian roulette. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:12 PM

33,355 posts, read 14,563,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Her kids should have citizenship stripped
The "anchor baby" law needs to be repelled.

It was NOT intended to be for illegal immigrants in the first place.

I read an argument which basically stated that If the parents are Illegals, they are STILL citizens of the country they came from, therefore any children born from them are automatically citizens of the same country and NOT citizens of the U.S.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:46 PM

12,561 posts, read 18,946,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The "anchor baby" law needs to be repelled.

It was NOT intended to be for illegal immigrants in the first place.

I read an argument which basically stated that If the parents are Illegals, they are STILL citizens of the country they came from, therefore any children born from them are automatically citizens of the same country and NOT citizens of the U.S.
What "anchor baby" law? There is no "anchor baby" law. What you seem to be referring to is called 'Birthright citizenship" I believe.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM

14,073 posts, read 9,804,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have worked with children of migrant workers in Florida's schools. I think a lot of you would be SHOCKED to find how many of these "Anchor Babies" have American Born Citizens Mothers and Illegal Fathers. Who's your Daddy?

This is far more common than Illegal Mothers. It only takes ONE US Citizen to not have "Anchor Babies". Want to change this to BOTH parents must be citizens?

BTW, many of these mothers weren't of Hispanic heritage themselves, but this gets into a different subject.
Then they are not anchor babies, their mother will not be deported, and they are no different than any other child born to an American citizen on American soil. Their illegal immigrant father may be deported, but whether the children stay in America with their American citizen mother or go with their illegal immigrant father to the country of his citizenship will be up to the parents.

The question I have in the type of situation that you are describing is why didn't the parents get married, go through the proper channels and request legal citizenship for the father based on marriage?

What does the extent anyone's Hispanic race have anything to do with any of this? The only factor that matters is whether at least one parent is a US citizen or not.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,083,338 times
Is it possible that those that did not try to get legal status knew that because of something in their past, it would be denied and it would have outed them on being illegally present? I think looking at some that have been caught, they may have a "colorful" past.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

1,225 posts, read 362,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

If both parents are on the birth certificate, the majority of countries would likely not let the mother bring the child without permission of the father. It could be considered kid napping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or