U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,301,713 times

Advertisements

The immigration issue amply demonstrates that when political pendulums swing too much to one side, they then swing back wildly and uncontrollably.

President Trump’s rhetoric and policies toward immigrants, legal and undocumented, have been harsh, and have reflected the views of his base. But all this is partly — only partly — because during the Obama years the immigration rhetoric became quite loose.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/100548156/

The MSM's running scared when they even "think" about how bad illegal aliens really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:55 PM

11,538 posts, read 5,527,796 times
While I agree with much that was said in the article, there is a lot that the author got wrong. For example, from the article:

President Trump’s rhetoric and policies toward immigrants, legal and undocumented, have been harsh, and have reflected the views of his base. But all this is partly — only partly — because during the Obama years the immigration rhetoric became quite loose.

It wasn’t Obama’s fault. As deporter-in-chief, he deported record numbers of undocumented immigrants. But with eight years of a Democrat in the White House, progressives and immigrant advocates became quite emboldened and gradually distorted the immigration debate.

-----------------------------------
^^^^First of all, I never heard any "harsh" rhetoric and policies from Trump regarding Legal immigration

Also, Obama was not the "deporter-in-chief" as those deportation figures have been debunked for years. Yet the author perpetuates this fiction.

More from the article:

I don’t have any animus toward undocumented immigrants, mainly the impoverished Mexicans and Central Americans who came across the border, escaping penury and violence. If I were in their shoes, I’d probably do the same.

It is hard to have the same feelings, though, toward the 40% of undocumented immigrants who came here on a plane, willfully overstayed their tourist visas, then hunkered down and waited for the next round of legalization.

---------------------------------------------
First of all, none of those illegals sneaking across the border were starving to death. If they were, they would never have made it through the harsh, desert landscape. As for "penury" --- I call BS as many of them somehow found a large sum of money to pay the coyotes. As for violence---what are they doing about it? Instead of cutting and running, why aren't they working to make their own country a better place? It's not like there is no "violence" here---take Chicago as an example.

Illegals don't deserve any sympathy. There is no difference between an illegal who sneaked across a border or overstayed a visa. None of them have any business being here.
----------------------------------------------
One thing the author got right:

But we also need to remember that for every emotional story involving undocumented immigrants, there are equally emotional stories about legal immigrants waiting for years, jumping through bureaucratic hoops to get themselves and their spouses here from their native countries.
----------------------------------------------

^^^^This is true. Legal immigrants don't like illegal aliens (the author needs to stop calling them undocumented immigrants). My next door neighbor and his wife both immigrated here when they were young. He told me that it took his parents 10 years to get permission to come here. Both he and his wife voted for Trump.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,291,005 times
Dims started going off the deep end when leftist media and politicians started demanding that we stop saying "illegal immigrant" or "illegal alien" and instead refer to folks as "undocumented." Even leftist judges buy into this crap, with Sonia Sotomayor leading the way. When the left stopped making distinctions between legal and illegal immigrants and started treating lawbreakers better than some of our own citizens, the people became fed up. Enough was enough and the left is paying dearly.

As for the crap about Obama deporting an extraordinary high number of illegals: this is mainly because his policies encouraged mass illegal immigration at record levels, so there were more illegals to deport (hardly proof of a tough on immigration stance). And the overwhelming bulk of his deportations were simply border turnarounds.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 04-18-2017 at 01:47 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,115 times
Does anyone really know how they can even work in our country without a social security number? How many jobs are no longer there for our youth? How much money that is made in our country that is sent to another country. We need money for so many structures in our country and if all the people in our country paid taxes then many problems could be taken care of. Why do Americans deal with the police when they break the law , but illegals do not have to obey the LAW.????

Old 05-02-2017, 11:02 AM

9,841 posts, read 7,133,639 times
The whole anti immigrant thing is ridiculous.

There is a HUGE difference between Legal immigrants and those who are illegal. It should be like night and day but the Dems are blurring the lines in an attempt to smear Trump and keep people on edge about this issue.
I have had Liberal friends actually ask me what I will do when Trump deports my wife. Ah my wife is legal. She followed the rules to come to America so why would she have any fear? BUT that is the kind of nonsense that the Lefty Media is spreading in and attempt to undermine Trump.

The major issue that many people had during the Obama regime was how emboldened the illegal aliens became. They had parades and rallies, they had the Presidents ear when it came to demanding rights from a country they were trespassing in and the saddest most disgusting part was that Obama actually listened to them.

The problems really piled on when the Left made out that those on the Right were evil simply because they want to enforce existing immigration laws.

Sanctuary towns, cities, states.. Why are these people so in love with people who are trespassing in our country?

Old 05-07-2017, 08:29 PM

16,364 posts, read 6,112,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Sanctuary towns, cities, states.. Why are these people so in love with people who are trespassing in our country?
Because they hate America. No different than many groups over many years whose goal was to destroy America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or