U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 737,479 times

Advertisements

For those who fought in WWII, Korea, or Viet Nam, some very vicious, gruling, traumatic, cataclysmic wars, what's your opinion of what America has become? Is this the sort of nation you believed you were fighting for, or if not, are you content with what it's become? Would you still fight in those wars if you were able to look into 2008 and see what's happened to the U.S. in terms of immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,662,080 times
My father; a Korean War vet (admittedly kept stateside/non combat) is sympathetic to the illegal immigrants------maybe because he too was a DP (Displaced Person) in what is today's Germany ca. 1949.

The difference being that my father was a political refugee from Hungary when the Communists took over ca. 1948.

Note when he came here in 1951; he had a sponsor so US law was followed.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM

20,085 posts, read 20,565,064 times
My dad fought in WWII, if the dead are aware of the living, dad in rolling in his grave.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,697,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My dad fought in WWII, if the dead are aware of the living, dad in rolling in his grave.
What 2mares said.

My father fought in WW II and Korea. As he entered his 79th year of life before his death in 2005, he was appalled at the direction of this country, and that the rights and liberties he fought and nearly died to protect, were being handed out to non-citizens like stale Halloween candy. (I won't even go into what he thought about the SPP, the Iraq war, the state of healthcare in this country, and the exportation of American jobs overseas.)

Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,629,517 times
My Dad was in the South Pacific in WW II (a "good war"). He's still alive. (Haven't quizzed him on this). I was in the Navy in the Viet Nam conflict (a "less-good" war).

Would I 'do it again"? Probably not, under the same circumstances. WE are now a divided, fragmented society...and while I'm not ready to "leave" just yet, I can't think of ANY conflict that would unite Americans enough that I'd be tempted to risk life and limb to 'make their point'. 9-11 was a real 'wake-up call' for me (I had actually PREDICTED such an event earlier, telling people such a thing would 'bring us together'. Boy was I NAIVE !!). 9-11 seemed to have about as many folks claiming it was "our fault", as there were calling it "their fault". Sorry, but I'm not ready to 'risk it all' for that sort of scrambled consensus.

WE now see America bitterly fighting in the angriest way, debating whether we should be ALLOWING, or EXCLUDING, illegal immigrants. The illegals themselves, I can deal with. I'm more or less used to that 'mindset'. What I CAN'T deal with is that this should be a "controversy" among US...Excuse me, there's a CONTROVERSY as to whether we have the "right" to secure our borders? And then we WONDER why the impoverished illegals find it hard to take us seriously ?...why the illegals don't 'respect' our border? The same one WE obviously DON'T respect?...and we actually SAY this stuff, out loud, with a straight face? Sorry, but you folks don't need ME defending you. I DID my time, and it didn't seem to make much impression.

Would I "defend us" tomorrow, if we were invaded by carniverous Venusians, intent on enslaving all mankind? Probably--but I'd probably become discouraged when it turned out MANY of us thought these Venusians were "neat", and "colorful"....and thought we should "listen to them" to see why they were acting so "mean".

I don't remember my Dad talking about anyone back in 'his day', asking themselves "what did we do that was SO ANNOYING to the Japanese, that they felt compelled to 'act out', by bombing Pearl Harbor ?"....That's why, in THOSE days, it was probably psychologically EASIER to defend our nation than it is today...

Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM

220 posts, read 336,412 times
Hell no!

What I've slowly seen is my country become absolutely corrupted by greed and love of material gain. The spiritual core of our country has lost nearly all of its strength because people were more interested in chasing dollars than they were in preserving our civilization. At this point, I consider my country to be a gross edifice of evil, deceit, and malice that elites have effectively stolen from a drugged populace that is now bereft of common sense critical thinking skills.

Hopefully, enough good people will awaken themselves from the current stupor and take back their piece of the country and start over. One way of accomplishing is for good traditional Americans to breed out the corrupt, soulless, anti-civilization, white liberals running this nation's media, universities, public schools, and government civil service. Perhaps we'll be ripe for another revolution in 2-3 decades (or even earlier!)

Old 03-07-2008, 04:46 PM

220 posts, read 336,412 times
Oh yes, and in the America I grew up in we had national origins quotas and various restrictions on the exploitation of foreign workers.

It was a country with common sense and good people...but greed took over.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,018,453 times
Nam vet here.
No its not the country I fought for, believed in and cherished.
That doesn't preclude the fact I would fight for it again.
What I don't like is the fact a vocal percentage of this country have turned into milk sops who will run from any controversy that might get ugly.
what I don't like is a population, alabit small that has a visceral hatred of this my country and for no reason than its currently fashionable to hate this country because the vogue magazines say so.
What I don't like is fair weather patriots.
What I don't like.................warm beer.
FInd my little anecdote of the blond chippie who spit on me in Ok CIty in 73 and my response.
Dont spit on me.......thats just rude.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,227,334 times
As a wounded POW, and the way we were treated returning from Viet Nam alone, would make alot of Vets tell our Government to fight there own war.
But I can't say for sure that I would'nt.
And now that I've been with the MinuteMen, lived in SoCal for over 35 years and seen with my own eyes, let alone lived around all of it, to the point where nothing can be said that would surprise me, I still have pride in this country, I just dispise the way that's it being handle.
Face it,,,,,,,we all would still fight for it,, because,,,,,,,,,,,what do you think we're doing now?

I'm sure happy that I moved to Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration