U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,214 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Reputation: 19290

Advertisements

"US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, hampered by poor organization and an overworked staff, will have trouble keeping up with the Trump administration’s plans to ramp up deportations of people in the country illegally, government inspectors have concluded."

It's a mess, read about it here: Trump wants to ramp up deportations, but ICE probably won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,626 posts, read 6,002,747 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not surprised. Here's a link to the original report from the Department of Homeland Security's Office of the inspector General...
https://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/...7-51-Apr17.pdf

Two quotes from the report stand out…

Quote:
ICE is almost certainly not deporting all the aliens who could be deported and will likely not be able to keep up with growing numbers of deportable aliens.
Quote:
Factors beyond ICE’s control may virtually prohibit deportation to some countries.
As for the recommendations in the report, it looks like folks will have to wait until March 30, 2018 to see if any of them are implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, hampered by poor organization and an overworked staff, will have trouble keeping up with the Trump administration’s plans to ramp up deportations of people in the country illegally, government inspectors have concluded."

It's a mess, read about it here: Trump wants to ramp up deportations, but ICE probably won
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I'm not surprised. Here's a link to the original report from the Department of Homeland Security's Office of the inspector General...
https://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/...7-51-Apr17.pdf

Two quotes from the report stand out…




As for the recommendations in the report, it looks like folks will have to wait until March 30, 2018 to see if any of them are implemented.
Def a hot mess but: things WILL smooth out as time goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,214 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Reputation: 19290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Def a hot mess but: things WILL smooth out as time goes on.
It will smooth out, but not quickly. They need to fill those empty positions created when Trump fired all those federal judges and they need to hire at least several hundred more, ICE agents need to be able to effect arrests with warrants not with 'detainers', until they do that many of the problems will continue.

And kids don't grow up wanting to be ICE or Border Control agents, those jobs are considered bottom tier law enforcement positions, they don't pay very well and they don't attract the best candidates, as a result 2/3 of applicants fail the polygraph and new hires don't stick around very long. My guess, nothing will fix that because most people look at the job of arresting any illegals other than criminal aliens as cruel or unnecessary. That's one reason local law enforcement doesn't want to get involved with arresting and dragging off mothers of three or four citizen children, it's definitely not popular with the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
 
1,225 posts, read 361,874 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It will smooth out, but not quickly. They need to fill those empty positions created when Trump fired all those federal judges and they need to hire at least several hundred more, ICE agents need to be able to effect arrests with warrants not with 'detainers', until they do that many of the problems will continue.

And kids don't grow up wanting to be ICE or Border Control agents, those jobs are considered bottom tier law enforcement positions, they don't pay very well and they don't attract the best candidates, as a result 2/3 of applicants fail the polygraph and new hires don't stick around very long. My guess, nothing will fix that because most people look at the job of arresting any illegals other than criminal aliens as cruel or unnecessary. That's one reason local law enforcement doesn't want to get involved with arresting and dragging off mothers of three or four citizen children, it's definitely not popular with the public.
Popular with whom? Comments sections seem full of the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,622 posts, read 1,353,537 times
Reputation: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It will smooth out, but not quickly. They need to fill those empty positions created when Trump fired all those federal judges and they need to hire at least several hundred more, ICE agents need to be able to effect arrests with warrants not with 'detainers', until they do that many of the problems will continue.
What Federal Judges are you referring to? Or did you mean Attorney Generals? Federal Judges can only be replaced if they are impeached. All presidents have fired a slew of Attorney Generals and Trump is hardly the first to do this.

Quote:
And kids don't grow up wanting to be ICE or Border Control agents, those jobs are considered bottom tier law enforcement positions, they don't pay very well and they don't attract the best candidates, as a result 2/3 of applicants fail the polygraph and new hires don't stick around very long. My guess, nothing will fix that because most people look at the job of arresting any illegals other than criminal aliens as cruel or unnecessary. That's one reason local law enforcement doesn't want to get involved with arresting and dragging off mothers of three or four citizen children, it's definitely not popular with the public.
Quote:
Border Patrol Agent Salary


The overall average income for this group is approximately $55K annually. The most important factor affecting compensation for this group is residence, followed by career length and the specific company. Job satisfaction is considered about average by most people in this profession. Medical benefits are awarded to nearly all, and a majority earn dental coverage. The data in this summary comes from the PayScale salary survey.

Border Patrol agents can earn up to $100K.


Border Patrol Agent Salary


I believe one reason the average is $55K is a lot of new hires are being recruited.


The last part of your post is mostly wrong...it may be unpopular in the liberal/progressive sections of the country but it is popular in Trump country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM
 
1,225 posts, read 361,874 times
Reputation: 307
I'm not quite seeing why a college degree is needed for an entry position
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,214 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Reputation: 19290
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
What Federal Judges are you referring to? Or did you mean Attorney Generals? Federal Judges can only be replaced if they are impeached. All presidents have fired a slew of Attorney Generals and Trump is hardly the first to do this.
Border Patrol agents can earn up to $100K.
Border Patrol Agent Salary
I believe one reason the average is $55K is a lot of new hires are being recruited.
The last part of your post is mostly wrong...it may be unpopular in the liberal/progressive sections of the country but it is popular in Trump country.
  • Yes I'm sorry about that, Deputy AG's.
  • Very few ICE agents and almost no border agents make 100k, which is very easy to earn as a City cop, but look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.
  • Regarding my statement about the removal of non criminal illegals not being popular..I think the polling on this is pretty clear:

"Twenty-six percent said the top priority should be developing a plan to stop immigrants from entering the U.S. illegally, and 13 percent said the top priority should be deporting illegal immigrants. And 90 percent said they would support a bill allowing a path to U.S. citizenship for illegal immigrants who have been in the country for a number of years, hold a job, speak English, and are willing to pay back taxes." Americans open to legal status, citizenship for illegal immigrants: Poll - Washington Times

I think that's pretty consistent with other nationwide polls, people don't like seeing people who haven't committed crimes separated from their families and deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,214 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Reputation: 19290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Popular with whom? Comments sections seem full of the opposite.
In this section of City-data? Of course 'kick 'em all out' is popular here, this section is full of hard liners, do comments in this topic reflect the opinion of most of the people in the US? Probably not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
9,811 posts, read 7,116,916 times
Reputation: 17944
Trump can't catch a break. He is trying to do something about the people who are in our country illegally and he is even catching flack for doing that.

If Trump removed more of these trespassers from our nation he would be criticized and since he is not removing as many as Obama he is being criticized. If he removed no one he would be criticized.

Why is Trump even trying to do anything? but of course if he just agreed to everything that Congress wanted from the 9th hole at his golf course he would be criticized for not being involved and doing his job.


It seems he can't win anything but the election....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top