U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:40 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times

Advertisements

Life-altering licenses: Two years ago, driving got less stressful for Leticia Aceves and 850,000 others who received California driver's licenses through a landmark state law meant to help undocumented immigrants become more integrated into society. Now President Trump’s crackdown on immigration has made some of those license-holders anxious. They worry that the cards will be used to identify them as being here illegally and lead to their deportations. Los Angeles Times

Essential California: How a California driver's license is creating deportation fears - LA Times

A classic case of known illegal aliens possibly being picked up by the cops on sight. Good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Easy pickup of almost a million of them? That would be an awesome start!

There are rosters of illegals that can be found in enough places to get the deportations underway without a "deportation" force. I think we all knew that all these benefits could come back to bite them in the butt. Trying to get the benefits and rights of American citizens the easy way really won't have worked out for them.

I hope they all take this opportunity to get their affairs in order and prepare to self-deport. Doing the "right" thing will always relieve their stress in the end. It is past time they did the "right" thing anyway.

I have no sympathy for anyone that breaks the law, and for their children, it is unfortunate that the parents didn't care enough about their children to obey the laws and avoid the situation.

I think law enforcement in many places have just been sitting on the edge of their chair waiting to be given the support they need in order to pick them and move them out.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM

2,967 posts, read 879,933 times
Giving licenses to illegals is a major problem to CA. The cost of this program was picked up by legal residents and citizens. Around the same time they also passed a law that would automatically register people to vote when they received a drivers license. They double downed on the problem.

Quote:
The problem with California is there is no separate verification of citizenship on voter registration, said Charles Bell, Jr., a partner with California-based Bell, McAndrews & Hiltachk, LLP, a law firm that specializes in election law. Applicants can check a box affirming they are citizens, and this is not checked against any other government database such as federal immigration records.

“We have an honor system, which is effective for people who are honorable, but is also an opportunity for people who are not honorable,” Bell said. “There is a gap in the system, and we don’t have administrative folks who will be aggressive about looking into that.”

Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Giving licenses to illegals is a major problem to CA. The cost of this program was picked up by legal residents and citizens. Around the same time they also passed a law that would automatically register people to vote when they received a drivers license. They double downed on the problem.
Thanks for sharing this confirmation that illegals may vote (and most likely do since they have been given every right of legal citizens in California) using their driver licenses. I shouldn't be surprised, this being California after all. The bill of goods sold to us was this law is meant for illegals to insure their vehicles. What a joke. A good friend of mine owns an insurance brokerage firm. She told me that many of the illegals who register their cars (insurance is mandatory in California) cancel their insurance coverage as soon as their CA registration goes through... and repeat it every year.

Today a SF judge has prohibited (pending results of a lawsuit) the Trump administration from withholding federal funds from sanctuary cities that do not comply with ICE (citing its non-adherence to the Constitution). No wonder people are fleeing California in droves. They are tired of high taxes, expensive housing, crowded conditions, lousy roads and the liberal lawlessness (this coming from a registered Democrat who is totally disillusioned about her home state).

What I do not understand is why these cases are being heard by the Ninth Circuit Court, the most liberal in the land.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Thanks for sharing this confirmation that illegals may vote (and most likely do since they have been given every right of legal citizens in California) using their driver licenses. I shouldn't be surprised, this being California after all. The bill of goods sold to us was this law is meant for illegals to insure their vehicles. What a joke. A good friend of mine owns an insurance brokerage firm. She told me that many of the illegals who register their cars (insurance is mandatory in California) cancel their insurance coverage as soon as their CA registration goes through... and repeat it every year.

Today a SF judge has prohibited (pending results of a lawsuit) the Trump administration from withholding federal funds from sanctuary cities that do not comply with ICE (citing its non-adherence to the Constitution). No wonder people are fleeing California in droves. They are tired of high taxes, expensive housing, crowded conditions, lousy roads and the liberal lawlessness (this coming from a registered Democrat who is totally disillusioned about her home state).

What I do not understand is why these cases are being heard by the Ninth Circuit Court, the most liberal in the land.
I would have been surprised if they didn't block the withholding of funds. Hopefully it'll go to the Supreme Court now that they have a sane person as the ninth justice.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:07 AM

33,324 posts, read 14,548,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post

" (insurance is mandatory in California)"

How do they get insurance without providing a Social Security number?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:17 AM

1,225 posts, read 361,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" (insurance is mandatory in California)"

How do they get insurance without providing a Social Security number?
ItIN's can be used

Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 AM

3,533 posts, read 2,171,725 times
As I was leaving California, the AG issued a departmental order PROHIBITING local DA's from prosecuting any illegal found to have voted if they had been automatically registered via the DMV.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 AM

2,967 posts, read 879,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
As I was leaving California, the AG issued a departmental order PROHIBITING local DA's from prosecuting any illegal found to have voted if they had been automatically registered via the DMV.
Not that I don't believe you but is there any news reference or something that I can read up on it?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM

3,533 posts, read 2,171,725 times
I will be off work tomorrow and see what I can do. It was however a San Diego UT article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or