U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM

5,762 posts, read 2,960,083 times

Advertisements

Excellent article.
I've seen this over and over with Americans losing construction, housecleaning, masonry, and landscaping jobs to illegals.
We have a contractor friend who tried for years not to hire illegals, but finally gave in when he kept losing work because his bids (due to labor costs) always came in too high.

It's odd here in central VA that illegals are often getting $20 an hour for yard work, house cleaning, and general labor. I don't see that as cheap labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM

11,488 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Excellent article.
I've seen this over and over with Americans losing construction, housecleaning, masonry, and landscaping jobs to illegals.
We have a contractor friend who tried for years not to hire illegals, but finally gave in when he kept losing work because his bids (due to labor costs) always came in too high.

It's odd here in central VA that illegals are often getting $20 an hour for yard work, house cleaning, and general labor. I don't see that as cheap labor.
I'm in NoVA. For a long time, illegals gravitated to NoVA. It seemed that, other than Richmond, the rest of the state was spared.

About 10 years ago, I went to hear a woman named Erin Anderson talk about illegal immigration. Her family owned land in AZ that was right on the border. They had to give up working the land because so many illegals were sneaking across the border and trashing their property. Her family used to pick up the mounds of trash that the illegals threw out on their land.

At the talk, she said illegals were showing up in the Shenandoah Valley and bringing MS-13 with them. She talked to one native who told her "We are losing our way of life." Until she said that, I wasn't aware that illegals had infested other parts of VA

During her talk, she passed around some of the trash that they found on their property for us to see. Among the trash was a piece of paper with the name "Hipolita" and a phone number in the 540 area code. As she explained it, whoever tossed that piece of paper was supposed to make their way to VA and call "Hipolita".

Our next door neighbor, whose parents brought him legally to this country when he was a kid, came along with us to this presentation. He was unaware as to just how bad the illegal alien problem was. I looked at him at one point and he had a look of horror on his face during the talk. After the talk, he told us how angry illegal immigration made him because it took his parents 10 years to get permission to immigrate here.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:15 AM

33,319 posts, read 14,548,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That article is from 2004. I doubt that many Trump supporters would agree with the following quote from the article…
Everybody is entitled to their own OPINIONS.

And that is all this is, an OPINION piece from Somme very few have ever heard of.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,244,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Everybody is entitled to their own OPINIONS.

And that is all this is, an OPINION piece from Somme very few have ever heard of.
No, according to the op it was an opinion/fact piece.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:12 AM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Dr. Marty Nemko is a SF Bay Area career coach who has a top notch reputation, writes a newspaper column, is a frequent talk show guest and is to the point with his career advice.

The article is great, even if from 2004. Remember, Bill Clinton made similar claims in his address to Congress about the illegal immigration problem in 1996, I believe.

Sigh. It used to be acceptable to address the issue, but now, not so much.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 AM

12,989 posts, read 5,399,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is the best opinion/fact piece that I have read. This goes from the point that immigration is good to the point of us being overwhelmed by illegal immigration. I could not find a date, but it shows how this all started to go "south" and continued on that road, and we are much further down that road now, the road to 3rd world status, thank God, Hillary Clinton was defeated or we would still be traveling fast forward on that road, and frankly, some of the GOP candidates were just as anti-American as Hillary in this regard.

The Overwhelming of America
The article links to a magazine piece that came out that week, the week of September 19, 2004.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:56 AM

14,298 posts, read 7,728,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is the best opinion/fact piece that I have read. This goes from the point that immigration is good to the point of us being overwhelmed by illegal immigration. I could not find a date, but it shows how this all started to go "south" and continued on that road, and we are much further down that road now, the road to 3rd world status, thank God, Hillary Clinton was defeated or we would still be traveling fast forward on that road, and frankly, some of the GOP candidates were just as anti-American as Hillary in this regard.

The Overwhelming of America
It's an old article, and the flood of immigrants and illegals during the Obama admin, have only made things much worse.

The old liberal argument that illegal immigrants enrich the nation because they pay taxes, is easily wiped out, once the fist child of that illegal alien is enrolled in a K-12 school for $12k a year. Not to mention the costs US citizens pay for these same illegals aliens to give birth to children in our hospitals.

Just by working for peanuts and depressing wages, illegals reduce the tax revenue that would have been collected if wages were not lowered.

Last edited by OICU812; 04-27-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration