U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

quote=macmeal;3336599]You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I've had many interesting times in Mexico, and it's an interesting place. But it would be very naive to think it would be a 'good thing' to see 'this' become part of Mexico. About 20 million Mexicans (roughly ten percent of the population) apparently agree with me--because they have 'voted with their feet', and LEFT the place.

You may think that it's the "air" here that makes us prosperous, or the "water"--or the "climate"...but you'd be wrong. What makes things 'work" here (and the illegals certainly know this) is the SYSTEM....a system that doesn't exist in Mexico.

I find your naivete shocking---and I know PLENTY of people, some of them relatives, whose ancestors and parents took huge chances, and made huge sacrifices, to LEAVE Mexico, who would find your attitude equally naive....apparently, because unlike you, they didn't find it 'neat' or 'exciting' at ALL....they found it rough, tough, unfair, and very hard to earn a living in.

Next time you encounter an illegal climbing over the fence, please do yourself a favor...take a moment to stop HIM, and ask HIM how 'neat' and 'charming' daily life is in Mexico. He may give you an education you won't find on this forum. He MAY even 'open your eyes'. But please don't insult him by suggesting how 'fun' Mexico is. He's tried life there. [/quote]

I doubt very much if I will ever see a illegal climbing over the fence, but I have met several that made it much further than the fence and they were great people. From the hate that has been expressed towards them on this forum, I have a much greater appreciation for them.When someone else mentioned on the forum that Mexico was so rich and they were not coming here because life was hard and hard to make a living, we were told that was untrue and now you are saying it was for your family. Well, the ones that I have seen that have crossed did not look like they were well off either. I can guarantee you I will never turn one in if he is standing outside my door.

 
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
 
Location: California
1,268 posts, read 818,375 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I doubt very much if I will ever see a illegal climbing over the fence, but I have met several that made it much further than the fence and they were great people. From the hate that has been expressed towards them on this forum, I have a much greater appreciation for them.When I or someone else mentioned on the forum that Mexico was so rich and they were not coming here because life was hard and hard to make a living, we were told that was untrue and now you are saying it was for your family. Well, the ones that I have seen that have crossed did not look like they were well off either. I can guarantee you I will never turn one in if he is standing outside my door.
The average Mexican makes $10 a day, compared to around $1 in many African countries.
 
Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Reputation: 223
I understand that and it is unfortunate, but Mexico is our neighbor. I felt differently when I did not live in a border town that was far removed, but it not far removed here.
 
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I understand that and it is unfortunate, but Mexico is our neighbor. I felt differently when I did not live in a border town that was far removed, but it not far removed here.
I understand your compassion--and it speaks well of you. But there's such a thing as common sense. You shouldn't let the 'hatred' you see on this forum blind you to the facts. The 'haters' are really BESIDE the point..they're going to be 'out there' no matter what.

But common sense tells us that Mexico is poor mostly in RELATION to the US. In the world community, it's quite 'average'. This does NOT mean that the US is a "mean" country--quite the contrary. The US has 'taken in' people from all over the world, including millions of legal Mexicans. This is hardly a sign of a 'racist' or 'cruel' nation. It has even 'tolerated' millions of illegals from all OVER.

But now the US is suffering strains. Common sense should tell us we can't POSSIBLY accomodate any and every person who gets a 'whim' to come here--we would quickly collapse. That's what you're seeing now--people beginnng to say that perhaps we're reaching the end of our ability to 'take people in', and that it must be brought under control.

To ME, that hardly sounds 'mean'. The fact that the 'racists' and the 'hatemongers' want to get involved, doesn't change the issue. Seriously, some day you should travel to Africa---or even to nearby Haiti. I've been there, and believe me, it has poverty and corruption and human rights abuses that make Mexico look like Switzerland, by comparison. Yet we just CAN'T take all these people in.

We really ARE a 'nice' country...you just don't hear it very often. And please don't let the 'haters' warp your outlook. After all, there are all KINDS of 'hatemongers' out there. Some hate Mexicans, just because of who they are..and others hate the US, just because they CAN. But "haters" should never be allowed to make 'good people' give up their common sense.

PS I've known PLENTY of illegals, and I would never 'turn one in", either. My point has always been that this is the job of law-enforcement. They shouldn't BE HERE, and wouldn't be, if someone was 'doing their job'. But once they're here, it's not my job (nor my wish) to harrass them. I'm not paid to be the 'neighborhood watchdog'. Up front, and in person, I DO have a lot of compassion for these folks....but I still say, they shouldn't be here.

PS ONE FINAL THOUGHT for you..please remember ALSO, that Poor Mexicans are definitely getting 'screwed', no question about that at ALL..but it's not 'mean' Americans who are 'screwing' them..it's wealthy, powerful Mexicans. If THESE people cared about their own poor, they wouldn't have to leave at ALL. It really IS a pretty well-off country, in terms of resources, etc etc (plenty of oil, even)..it's just that the "system" there is GROSSLY unfair. Please remember that.

Last edited by macmeal; 04-02-2008 at 08:49 PM..
 
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I understand your compassion--and it speaks well of you. But there's such a thing as common sense. You shouldn't let the 'hatred' you see on this forum blind you to the facts. The 'haters' are really BESIDE the point..they're going to be 'out there' no matter what. That is true, but their "attitude" in many cases is working against them. It is not like many would like to offer some idea's that would be a compromise. It is our goverments screw up in the first place. I cannot believe that anyone can believe this administration want to stop immigration period. How long have the employers been skating from prosecutions. I do not blame the illegals from coming over here, when the USA continues to do nothing.
But common sense tells us that Mexico is poor mostly in RELATION to the US. In the world community, it's quite 'average'. This does NOT mean that the US is a "mean" country--quite the contrary. The US has 'taken in' people from all over the world, including millions of legal Mexicans. This is hardly a sign of a 'racist' or 'cruel' nation. It has even 'tolerated' millions of illegals from all OVER.

But now the US is suffering strains. Common sense should tell us we can't POSSIBLY accomodate any and every person who gets a 'whim' to come here--we would quickly collapse. That's what you're seeing now--people beginnng to say that perhaps we're reaching the end of our ability to 'take people in', and that it must be brought under control. That is the job of OUR
goverment. If they are not doing anything about it, then they must be getting something out of it.
To ME, that hardly sounds 'mean'. The fact that the 'racists' and the 'hatemongers' want to get involved, doesn't change the issue. Seriously, some day you should travel to Africa---or even to nearby Haiti. I've been there, and believe me, it has poverty and corruption and human rights abuses that make Mexico look like Switzerland, by comparison. Yet we just CAN'T take all these people in. I agree that we cannot just keep bringing people in,
I do believe there are those in Hollywood that have taken on those causes and most likely this goverment too.
We really ARE a 'nice' country...you just don't hear it very often. And please don't let the 'haters' warp your outlook. After all, there are all KINDS of 'hatemongers' out there. Some hate Mexicans, just because of who they are..and others hate the US, just because they CAN. But "haters" should never be allowed to make 'good people' give up their common sense.
There is no rational with the group you are talking about.
PS I've known PLENTY of illegals, and I would never 'turn one in", either. My point has always been that this is the job of law-enforcement. They shouldn't BE HERE, and wouldn't be, if someone was 'doing their job'. But once they're here, it's not my job (nor my wish) to harrass them. I'm not paid to be the 'neighborhood watchdog'. Up front, and in person, I DO have a lot of compassion for these folks....but I still say, they shouldn't be here.
I agree and will never ever turn one in, just like you

PS ONE FINAL THOUGHT for you..please remember ALSO, that Poor Mexicans are definitely getting 'screwed', no question about that at ALL..but it's not 'mean' Americans who are 'screwing' them..it's wealthy, powerful Mexicans. If THESE people cared about their own poor, they wouldn't have to leave at ALL. It really IS a pretty well-off country, in terms of resources, etc etc (plenty of oil, even)..it's just that the "system" there is GROSSLY unfair. Please remember that.
I know the Mexican goverment is corrrupt, do you consider the USA corrupt?
I read one poster saying they( The Mexican ) People should protest to their country for changes. Do we see any changes here in this country with protests, the war was one protest, I guess the goverment did not understand it because we are still at war.
I appreciate your post and your thoughts.
Sassy
 
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I know the Mexican goverment is corrrupt, do you consider the USA corrupt?
IMO, it is completely impossible to make a comparision, regarding corruption, between the United States and Mexico. Mexico is so much more corrupt - from the President of Mexico down to the cop on the beat -
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:10 PM
 
451 posts, read 235,645 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, it is completely impossible to make a comparision, regarding corruption, between the United States and Mexico. Mexico is so much more corrupt - from the President of Mexico down to the cop on the beat -
Yeah.... they had the notorious burrito-gate scandal, remember?
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I know the Mexican goverment is corrrupt, do you consider the USA corrupt?
I read one poster saying they( The Mexican ) People should protest to their country for changes. Do we see any changes here in this country with protests, the war was one protest, I guess the goverment did not understand it because we are still at war.
I appreciate your post and your thoughts.
Sassy
US protests that worked:

1. the fight for civil rights
2. the protest to end our entanglement in Vietnam

You would be surprised at what the American people can do when united.
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Yeah.... they had the notorious burrito-gate scandal, remember?
Yawn.

What about Mexico's brutal putdown of a bunch of 'student' protesters back in 1968?

Only now is justice being served.

Face it; barinnas, compared to Mexico, my country abides by the rule of law
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, it is completely impossible to make a comparision, regarding corruption, between the United States and Mexico. Mexico is so much more corrupt - from the President of Mexico down to the cop on the beat -
I'm saying that there is no way you cannot say that there is not corruption in our goverment and if you say that you, I or anyone else can change it, that is untrue. The Mexican people cannot change their goverment either. It is not a comparison on which country is the most corrupt, corruption in any country is not good and the people are unable to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top