U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,467,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Here we go with the scare of having to register with an ID, government intrussion??, nothing compares with the IRS.
Being an anesthesiologist, I wonder how do you feel about your fellow anethesiologists in the US many of which obtained legal residence in the US
through illegal pathways, just because the specialty is not a popular one, and
most positions are left open for foreign medical graduates, many of which remain here illegaly until obtaining some kind of pathway for legalization.
I'm not sure you know what you are talking about. Anesthesiology is one of the most popular specialties. Not many J1 opportunities in my field. Why would Americans shun the most highly paid specialty? I think you must be confusing Anesthesiology with internal medicine, pediatrics or family practice. Not many Americans going into these field these days. Heck, we pay our nurse anesthetists that assist us more than an internist's salary.

If you are talking about one of those specialties, if someone can get here legally due to a shortage in a specialty, more power to them. If they come illegally, they need to go back to the end of the line, just like anyone else.

P.S. Im not crazy about the IRS either

Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
That would all be nice, the problem is that they don't get government handouts because legal documents are required by social services, also they rarely seek medical attention at hospitals because of fear.

Our ignorance stems from the fact that we atribute illegal inmigrants issues from legal residents. As long as we are in denial, we are not going to improve the situation.
They DO receive taxpayer-funded benefits! Ever heard of document fraud or identity theft? They use document fraud and stolen SS#’s to illegally receive benefits, illegally obtain employment, illegally obtain drivers’ licenses, illegally vote, etc.

Surely you’re not suggesting illegal aliens would allow something as trivial as the ‘illegality’ of an act to preclude their participation. Surely you jest.

They rarely seek medical treatment? Tell that to the myriad hospitals and clinics forced to close due to ‘non-payment’ by illegal aliens, and the massive ‘free’ pre-natal care and delivery of anchor babies.

Just Google -- there's plenty of data. Below are a few links.

TennCare spends $15M on illegal immigrants - FierceHealthcare - Healthcare industry, Healthcare news, Healthcare company, Healthcare trend

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/po...WidzPmVmKXxZaQ

Rising health care costs put focus on illegal immigrants - USATODAY.com

Old 03-10-2008, 01:01 PM

451 posts, read 235,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm not sure you know what you are talking about. Anesthesiology is one of the most popular specialties. Not many J1 opportunities in my field. Why would Americans shun the most highly paid specialty? I think you must be confusing Anesthesiology with internal medicine, pediatrics or family practice. Not many Americans going into these field these days. Heck, we pay our nurse anesthetists that assist us more than an internist's salary.

If you are talking about one of those specialties, if someone can get here legally due to a shortage in a specialty, more power to them. If they come illegally, they need to go back to the end of the line, just like anyone else.

P.S. Im not crazy about the IRS either
UMMM! Unless there has been a dramatic change in the past few years, anesthesiology has been traditionaly one of the specialties with the largest
number of unfilled positions by U.S. medical graduates, usualy in the neighborhood of 50% vacant positions after the match, in the institution I
trained almost all anesthesiology residents were FMG's (foreign medical graduates), one thing is true, compensation is usualy higher than in other
specialties, mostly the primary care specialties, but much lower than the top; neurosurgery, radiology, ophthalmology,ortho,dermatology, GI specialsts, surgeons of all sub-specialties,many neurologists, and pmr's, also OB-GYN. These are the real world numbers, there are many references you may quote but their estimates are quite unreal, for example they list average ophthalmology average at around 300k/yr, when they usualy make over 700k/yr, I work in close collaboration with a group of 6 ophthalmologist
where each one pockets seven figures/yr, they own an ASC and hire a full time anesthesiologist for 260k/yr.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,467,492 times
Quote:
UMMM! Unless there has been a dramatic change in the past few years, anesthesiology has been traditionaly one of the specialties with the largest
number of unfilled positions by U.S. medical graduates, usualy in the neighborhood of 50% vacant positions after the match, in the institution I
trained almost all anesthesiology residents were FMG's (foreign medical graduates), one thing is true, compensation is usualy higher than in other
specialties, mostly the primary care specialties, but much lower than the top; neurosurgery, radiology, ophthalmology,ortho,dermatology, GI specialsts, surgeons of all sub-specialties,many neurologists, and pmr's, also OB-GYN. These are the real world numbers, there are many references you may quote but their estimates are quite unreal, for example they list average ophthalmology average at around 300k/yr, when they usualy make over 700k/yr, I work in close collaboration with a group of 6 ophthalmologist
where each one pockets seven figures/yr, they own an ASC and hire a full time anesthesiologist for 260k/yr.
Your figures are about 10 years old. It's a totally different ballgame now. There was a prediction of an overabundance of anesthesia providers back then, which actually caused a shortage now. DM sent on current info.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 03-10-2008 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
That would all be nice, the problem is that they don't get government handouts because legal documents are required by social services, also
they rarely seek medical attention at hospitals because of fear.
Our ignorance stems from the fact that we atribute illegal inmigrants issues from legal residents. As long as we are in denial, we are not going to improve the situation.
It is nice that someone realizes that denial is not going to either improve or correct the situation. As far as the poster below, they do SEIZE their cars, they have auctions on them.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 PM

162 posts, read 293,886 times
It blows me away, the posts start with immigration and ends up in the ER chit chat, lol

Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM

451 posts, read 235,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
It is nice that someone realizes that denial is not going to either improve or correct the situation. As far as the poster below, they do SEIZE their cars, they have auctions on them.
Unbeleivable is the amount of people in this forum that talk about inmigrants with such hate.
I wonder what kind of people they really pretend to be in the real life, are they the all out "Red-Neck Rules" type of people, or they hide it, only to manifest their objectionable values under a cyber-personality.
Gone is the era where we had to refrain from expressing our racist and ignorant views, now we have these protected platform, which alow us to live
multiple personalities.
The reality is that we have to deal with this situation in a very sensible way,
and that the 'red neck dreams ' of geting rid of 15 million undocumented
overnite will never happen, in any case we can hope to slow down or halt
future ilegal immigration, and I think that would be enough success.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Unbeleivable is the amount of people in this forum that talk about inmigrants with such hate.
I wonder what kind of people they really pretend to be in the real life, are they the all out "Red-Neck Rules" type of people, or they hide it, only to manifest their objectionable values under a cyber-personality.
Gone is the era where we had to refrain from expressing our racist and ignorant views, now we have these protected platform, which alow us to live
multiple personalities.
The reality is that we have to deal with this situation in a very sensible way,
and that the 'red neck dreams ' of geting rid of 15 million undocumented
overnite will never happen, in any case we can hope to slow down or halt
future ilegal immigration, and I think that would be enough success.
Deal with it.

Besides; us 'Rednecks' come in all races and ethnicities---------including some Hispanics who want our borders sealed with mass deportations concurrently.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Deportation will happen, but not in large masses. As more states enforce the law, some on there own and some by the enforcement of the law. The longer they hang out will the law changes, the more isulated the will become and eventually will head for home.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Deportation will happen, but not in large masses. As more states enforce the law, some will leave on their own and some by the enforcement of the law. The longer they hang out afterthe law changes, the more isulated the will become and eventually will head for home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration