U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Rwanda should have been our problem if we are such a civilized society, instead we abandoned the country and allowed genocide to take place, shame on us.
Rwanda was a case of local people murdering each other. I'm not aware we 'abandoned" the place, since "we" were never there to BEGIN with.

It was sad and horrific that this 'slaughter' took place....and similar slaughters are continuing to take place as we speak, in other parts of the world. But how do you suggest "we" might have stopped it? WE can't even control our own borders....and we can't even find Osama bin Ladin...who attacked "us".

Look at the mess "we" are now in in Iraq....after supposedly going there to help "them"...turns out they may have been "mad" at Saddam, but they're a lot MADDER at us....and so is most of the world, including many of us on this forum.

How, then, do you equate what happened in Rwanda with the phrase "Shame on us"?...Or, to put it ANOTHER way, if "we" had somehow GONE INTO Rwanda, to "help" people from butchering their neighbors, what do you suppose would have been the result? (Hint..I think that whatever happened, in the end, you'd STILL be saying "shame on us").

There are some things we just can't do anything about. Tribal murder and inter-ethnic violence in distant lands is one of them. We may have to learn to deal with the same thing in THIS country some day....though I hope not. If we DO, though, who do you think will show up to STOP US?...

Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 820,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It was their responsibility to fight back. Those who did--even those who died doing so--were honorable.

Would you rather die on your feet or live on your knees?
So you think the killing of all those Jews is justified?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,331,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
So you think the killing of all those Jews is justified?
No...but I AM saying that they should have fought for their lives.

Everyone is responsible to look out for #1.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
No...but I AM saying that they should have fought for their lives.

Everyone is responsible to look out for #1.
Not if someone can do something about it. Thats like watching someone kill someone in the street and not do anything about it.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Not if someone can do something about it. Thats like watching someone kill someone in the street and not do anything about it.
I would...I'd look to MY own safety.

Would you let love stop you from fighting your spouse, your kid, your best friend, etc. if they were trying to harm you, possibly kill you??

Amazing!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I would...I'd look to MY own safety.

Would you let love stop you from fighting your spouse, your kid, your best friend, etc. if they were trying to harm you, possibly kill you??

Amazing!
So if someone was killing you wouldn't be greatful if someone helped you and you survived?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
So if someone was killing you wouldn't be greatful if someone helped you and you survived?

I'd be very surprised if someone DID. ANd I would NOT want the help...if I can't protect myself, I don't deserve to live.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,229,574 times
Quote:
I'd be very surprised if someone DID. ANd I would NOT want the help...if I can't protect myself, I don't deserve to live.
That's not much of a possitive attitude, there are millions of disabled people that can't protect themselves.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
That's not much of a possitive attitude, there are millions of disabled people that can't protect themselves.
It's a realistic attitude...positivism is for Pollyannas.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,716,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
You do not think it will go right back to what it was before we went there?
Maybe they don't want a democracy there, that has always been a problem of ours, thinking we know what is best for every other country when we cannot even take care of our own problems.

I've got to agree with you here. We need to stop meddling and snooping in other country's business. We are like the 'Mother-in-Law to the World'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration