U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Both English, and Spanish need to be respected equally as our national languages

Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,032,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
They also show respect for elders and mother & father, like was common place here a long time ago. You can tell the difference from the older generations and the ones today when it comes to respect.
I dont mind respect. But calling your grandparents ignorance "respect" because they refuse to assimilate and learn english is contradictory. I dont mind respect, but someone who cant speak english, even if they are related to you, simply must have nothing important to say and should be ignored if they cant speak english. I dont think people who cant speak english should be translated into english, and should be ignored until they learn english. Thats the only way to get them to learn.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I thought you were pro-illegal?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 AM

1,268 posts, read 818,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I dont mind respect. But calling your grandparents ignorance "respect" because they refuse to assimilate and learn english is contradictory. I dont mind respect, but someone who cant speak english, even if they are related to you, simply must have nothing important to say and should be ignored if they cant speak english. I dont think people who cant speak english should be translated into english, and should be ignored until they learn english. Thats the only way to get them to learn.
They CAN speak English, just not very well. I need to practice my Spanish, so I speak Spanish to them so they can understand me better. Besides, senior citizens aren't required to learn English to become citizens.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
They CAN speak English, just not very well. I need to practice my Spanish, so I speak Spanish to them so they can understand me better. Besides, senior citizens aren't required to learn English to become citizens.
They werent always senior citizens were they? How about the previous 30 years, what were they doing then, trying as hard as they could not to assimilate.

I dont mind your grandparents, I am sure they are fine people, I just wish that they, like you, would just learn english.....that is the most respectful thing immigrants can do to show Americans that they do care and want to be American. Not learning english is kind of a "f*** you" to the American culture in my opinion.

Exedous, you know me by now, and during every thread I pretty much go back to one thing, learn english and come here legally.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
They werent always senior citizens were they? How about the previous 30 years, what were they doing then, trying as hard as they could not to assimilate.

I dont mind your grandparents, I am sure they are fine people, I just wish that they, like you, would just learn english.....that is the most respectful thing immigrants can do to show Americans that they do care and want to be American. Not learning english is kind of a "f*** you" to the American culture in my opinion.

Exedous, you know me by now, and during every thread I pretty much go back to one thing, learn english and come here legally.
They've been senior citizens since they came here.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
They've been senior citizens since they came here.
Im sorry, I didnt realize. Do you at least agree with me on my last 2 paragraphs?

Do you see where I am coming from at all?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Im sorry, I didnt realize. Do you at least agree with me on my last 2 paragraphs? DO you see where I am coming from at all?
Learning English is fine, it is the common language of this nation. Most of what we do is spoken in English. I cannot negate this fact. All immigrants should learn English, but there is a lot of circumstances that arise when new immigrants cannot learn English. Sure they may learn some basic phrases to get them by, but the grammatical side of English and syntax, basically what you learn in school is a problem for them. There are ESL classes, and even these are limited.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Learning English is fine, it is the common language of this nation. Most of what we do is spoken in English. I cannot negate this fact. All immigrants should learn English, but there is a lot of circumstances that arise when new immigrants cannot learn English. Sure they may learn some basic phrases to get them by, but the grammatical side of English and syntax, basically what you learn in school is a problem for them. There are ESL classes, and even these are limited.
I agree, sometimes it is challenging, it was definately hard to learn spanish for me. But I did it because I had to in order to keep my job. Most foreigners dont have to because we spoon feed them. I agree, expanding ESL classes would be a start, but also literacy progress tests after immigrants have been here long enough might encourage them to speed up their studies.

I may have a personal bias because I did not think I should have had to learn Spanish or I would have been ousted. It kind of irritates me sometimes when I have to talk to people in my job who speak no english, and dont seem to have made any attempt (because I see them throughout time) while my job was on the line becuase I didnt know spanish. It seems like English speakers are having to meet the demands of spanish speakers instead of the other way around.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I agree, sometimes it is challenging, it was definately hard to learn spanish for me. But I did it because I had to in order to keep my job. Most foreigners dont have to because we spoon feed them. I agree, expanding ESL classes would be a start, but also literacy progress tests after immigrants have been here long enough might encourage them to speed up their studies.

I may have a personal bias because I did not think I should have had to learn Spanish or I would have been ousted because I dont live in Mexico. It kind of irritates me sometimes when I have to talk to people in my job who speak no english, and dont seem to have made any attempt (because I see them throughout time) while my job was on the line becuase I didnt know spanish. It seems like English speakers are having to meet the demands of spanish speakers instead of the other way around.
Let me also point out it is not just the adults who are at fault here. While they're working a few jobs, their kids are sent to bi-lingual schools. Can you freaking believe that??! State funded with tax dollars, BI-LINGUAL SCHOOLS! These schools are not only a burden on tax payers, on kids as well. They don't learn English as fast as kids from mainstreamed schools do, I have family as proof of that.

Just to throw this out there.. do you work for the Government or a company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration