U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,038,843 times
Reputation: 645

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Let me also point out it is not just the adults who are at fault here. While they're working a few jobs, their kids are sent to bi-lingual schools. Can you freaking believe that??! State funded with tax dollars, BI-LINGUAL SCHOOLS! These schools are not only a burden on tax payers, on kids as well. They don't learn English as fast as kids from mainstreamed schools do, I have family as proof of that.

Just to throw this out there.. do you work for the Government or a company?
No, I am an architect for a company that specializes in low income housing.

 
Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 AM
 
Location: California
1,268 posts, read 821,622 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
No, I am an architect for a company that specializes in low income housing.
So I'm guessing it's subsidized work by the state using tax dollars?
 
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,038,843 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
So I'm guessing it's subsidized work by the state using tax dollars?
Partially. Private companies contribute also.

We arent completely funded by the government though. We offer properties at say, $740 a month when market rate is $1200. The low income family will pay $740 and the government will pay us $660 to make up for what the people didnt pay. We dont get breaks or special exemptions like government agenices to (like, say the LA affordable housing project system), and the government has no authority over how we run our business moreso than any other company.
 
Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 AM
 
Location: California
1,268 posts, read 821,622 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Partially. Private companies contribute also.

We arent completely funded by the government though. We offer properties at say, $740 a month when market rate is $1200. The low income family will pay $740 and the government will pay us $660 to make up for what the people didnt pay. We dont get breaks or special exemptions like government agenices to (like, say the LA affordable housing project system), and the government has no authority over how we run our business moreso than any other company.
If there was no Government intervention I would say this. Catering to your target market. As we saw in the Absolut ad.. What do Mexicans want to hear? That part of their land was stolen. So what should they do? Buy their Vodka.
 
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,038,843 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
If there was no Government intervention I would say this. Catering to your target market. As we saw in the Absolut ad.. What do Mexicans want to hear? That part of their land was stolen. So what should they do? Buy their Vodka.
I know granting illegals citizenship would probably make me the busiest person on the planet because illegals would then be able to qualify for this housing, but the issue is so much more than the money I could make from an amnesty bill being passed. I know the target audience for the product, and about 70% are hispanic who qualify, 60% of whom are english deficient. I, personally, dont think they (english deficient applicants) should be handed these houses because in my eyes, they really arent trying (we have several occupants where the mother stays home when they DESPERATELY need the money, or the families have more kids while they are living in the houses when they desperately dont need another financial burden). And I can honestly say that 99.999% of those who eventually leave the housing know english somewhat, and those who dont or are too lazy to better their situation stay for years and years until their 5 year limit expires.

I work for those few people who need a financial relief to quit their second job and learn english, gain skills, and go out into the world as productive human beings. Unfortunately, those people account for a very small percent of the total population of people we serve.
 
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,240,329 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I thought you were pro-illegal?
GuyPinestra.........pro Illegal? not a chance.
If anything, he'd be a perfect "leader of the Pack" for Anti- Illegals.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 04-15-2008 at 09:27 AM..
 
Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,240,329 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Both English, and Spanish need to be respected equally as our national languages
Respect is a 2 way street which has been barricaded from the beginning.
 
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I thought you were pro-illegal?
GuyP ain't; trust me

If anything; his is one pissed off American Hispanic who wants the borders closed/locked------and, mass deportations of illegals and if possible, their Anchor Babies.
 
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,178,995 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
GuyP ain't; trust me

If anything; his is one pissed off American Hispanic who wants the borders closed/locked------and, mass deportations of illegals and if possible, their Anchor Babies.
This is very true...
 
Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
 
451 posts, read 236,352 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
This is very true...
Well that's not going to happen, I hope you have alternate plans for happiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top