U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

"Feds Indict John Gotti Jr."

NEW YORK, July 22, 2004
Feds Indict John Gotti Jr., Son Of Late N.Y. Mob Boss Accused Of Murder, Kidnapping - CBS News

 
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I didn't really understand the "illegal" part of his argument either. As your husband knows, in the mid 90s there was a scare that there were too many anesthesia providers. As a result, there were a few years where American applications to anesthesia residencies dropped off and they needed to accept foreigners to fill the gap. This is happening in Ob/Gyn right now because of malpractice fears. The fear of too many Anesthesia providers turned out to be false, and in the late 90s Americans started to realize that these good jobs were going to foreigners, so the field got very popular again. Now it is a competitive specialty again. My program had 500 applications for only 4 positions, and ALL spots went to American citizens. Overall, last year roughly 18% of spots went to foreign medical graduates, and %90 of those are Americans who went to medical school in foreign countries.

I think the poster's exposure to Anesthesia residencies was during that time period. Now, primary care is where the foreigners get their foot in the door. Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Pediatrics, and now Ob/Gyn. As far as I know, they do it legally though. I would also like to know what he meant.
It's good to see we have an anesthesiologist on the forum- I'm a retired CRNA.
DH did his residency/fellowship in the early 80's and at that time there were alot of FMG's in anesthesia. However, I don't think things have been that way for quite some time now. As you pointed out, there was a time period when it was thought there would be too many anesthesiologists and people did not go into anesthesia because of that. There were several years in the 90's when not one of the graduating medical students where he works chose anesthesia as a specialty. FMG's made up the shortfall when the predicted glut failed to materialize. Now anes. is regarded as a good career option and from what you say there are more than enough US grads to fill the available residency slots.
My main question is the supposed illegal status or illegal way of getting citizenship that the OP claimed. Honestly, I cannot imagine few applications that are more throughly scrutinizes than that for MD licensure. I do not see how 'many' anesthesiologists who are in the country illegally could have all sneaked past the state medical boards. DH keeps several of his out of state licenses active in the remote chance that we may relocate to one of those states because it is such a hassle to get licensed in the first place.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
 
451 posts, read 235,645 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Kindly provide hard data to back up your contentions that many anesthesiologists in the US obtained legal residence through illegal pathways ('anethesiologists in the US many of which obtained legal residence in the US through illegal pathways') and that many FMG's are here illegally ('foreign medical graduates, many of which remain here illegaly until obtaining some kind of pathway for legalization.'). My husband has been an anesthesiologist for over 20 years. This is the sort of thing that leaves him shaking his head.
I will be waiting for your proof of these allegations.
So, you are saying that the Foreign Medical Graduates in the US do not stay here illegaly until pushing their way to some kind of path?
Actually, I do not blame them, I know this guy from Syria, who went home for a short vacation after fellowship, and was not allowed back, this occurred in 2002 and still has not been able to return. If you and /or your husband are foreigners as I suspect, you know about this realities better.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
 
25 posts, read 14,367 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
A multidisciplinary approach needs to be taken if we are to solve the inmigration issue, first the fence needs to be built, not perfect but a big
impediment for most people, I would freeze legal inmigration for five years, since we already have a surplus in professionals, identify current undocumented and provide a path to citizenship, it is unrealistic to beleive we can deport million and millions of people, finaly establish a guest
worker program, also what's so bad about a national identification card?
I don't agree with a fence. It makes us seem divided and unapproachable. Reminds me of East and West Berlin. And Reagan saying "tear down these walls!". Then we go and build one.

I agree with putting the folks here on a path to citizenship. Pay fines, pay back taxes. And become fully intergrated into our society.

A National Identification card is a good idea. We need to know who each and single person is within our borders. That is important for national security.

Although Mexicans aren't terrorist. However, terrorist tend to come in via the Canadian border.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair and Balanced View Post
I don't agree with a fence. It makes us seem divided and unapproachable. Reminds me of East and West Berlin. And Reagan saying "tear down these walls!". Then we go and build one.

I agree with putting the folks here on a path to citizenship. Pay fines, pay back taxes. And become fully intergrated into our society.

A National Identification card is a good idea. We need to know who each and single person is within our borders. That is important for national security.

Although Mexicans aren't terrorist. However, terrorist tend to come in via the Canadian border.
Apples and oranges here.

The Berlin Wall/Iron Curtain was to keep people in the Communist Bloc.

A wall alongside the US/Mx border would be meant to keep people out of the USA.

As for Canada; we have very few economic refugees from there.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,036,601 times
Reputation: 2873
Its all economics. Fine the the employers and businesses that hire illegals (at slave wages with no benefits!) vigorously and consistently.
When there is a crime committed, the police should be allowed to ask if the people involved are illegals, and if so they should be deported immediatly.
To be fair, though, the immigration process needs a thorough overhaul. It should be easier for immigrants to become legal citizens. The emphasis, of course, being legal.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
So, you are saying that the Foreign Medical Graduates in the US do not stay here illegaly until pushing their way to some kind of path?
Actually, I do not blame them, I know this guy from Syria, who went home for a short vacation after fellowship, and was not allowed back, this occurred in 2002 and still has not been able to return. If you and /or your husband are foreigners as I suspect, you know about this realities better.
That is what I said and I asked for some proof of your allegation that they do. My husband and I were both born in the US and frankly that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
 
Location: PA
5,513 posts, read 4,815,916 times
Reputation: 1920
Default Here is my solution

1. Stop all immgration for 5 years.
2. Build a fence on along mexico and Canada, and on the other side of the fence on the bordering countries a river or mot, full of Alligators. Alligator problem solved in FL.
3. If anyone is brave enough to get over the wall without using the access points soliders have [mod cut: inappropriate comments] authority. This is a national defense issue.
4. Jail all ceo's for hiring illegals, all companies can call a 1-800 number to verify all employees for the length of 5 years then the program will be closed and funding.
5. No welfare, government programs for illegals.

6. No temporary visa, or student visas from terrorist countries.

Issue is now resolved.

No national id is required, we dont need another big brother program.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-27-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: inappropriate comments
 
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
1. Stop all immgration for 5 years.
2. Build a fence on along mexico and Canada, and on the other side of the fence on the bordering countries a river or mot, full of Alligators. Alligator problem solved in FL.
3. If anyone is brave enough to get over the wall without using the access points soliders have [mod cut: inappropriate comments] authority. This is a national defense issue.
4. Jail all ceo's for hiring illegals, all companies can call a 1-800 number to verify all employees for the length of 5 years then the program will be closed and funding.
5. No welfare, government programs for illegals.

6. No temporary visa, or student visas from terrorist countries.

Issue is now resolved.

No national id is required, we dont need another big brother program.
Brilliant!! It would be cost effective, they would not be able to make it over here in the first place. Jail for CEO's would be a huge deterrent.
Have you ran this by your congressmen yet?
 
Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM
 
451 posts, read 235,645 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
That is what I said and I asked for some proof of your allegation that they do. My husband and I were both born in the US and frankly that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Wel those are situations that I have witnessed many,many times, so to me is a fact if you need hard evidence, look for it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top