U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM

25,342 posts, read 37,480,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I'm sick to my stomach reading this. ICE and the Trump admin should be ashamed of themselves. How can one not grant asylum to these two Hondurans, esp since their country is amongst the most violent. This is not the America I know. The American that welcomed the persecuted.
Go help them and help to keep them safe in their own country. You can become an activist for their safety in Honduras.

There are plenty of people safe in Honduras and have you ever wondered what they did over there to feel unsafe? There is no war over there as far as I know. Was their family involved in drugs or other crimes or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or just like many others claim to be unsafe as they rather be here. Which is a legitimate reason to get a legal visa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:24 PM

11,492 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
TPS is unnecessary for the most part
So, why did you even mention it?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 361,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, why did you even mention it?
Because it was relevant to the subject matter

Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Because it was relevant to the subject matter
How so?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 PM

1,073 posts, read 494,149 times
Quote:
Take some Alka Seltzer and you will feel better.

By using your logic, we should empty out Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador due to the violence and move every single resident here. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

If this woman was really frightened, she should have gone to the American Embassy or Consulate and plead her case. And why does she have to come to the US? As Packard fan stated, there are other Latin American countries that don't have such rates of violence. Since she and her child already speak Spanish, they would have had no problems assimilating.
They already made it here. I'm not a foolish person, so don't insult me by drawing false conclusions from my statement. The US has a longstanding policy of allowing people to make asylum claims once they are US soil. The Obama admin (I think) had a carve out for central Americans that allowed some claims to be made outside of the US.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
They already made it here. I'm not a foolish person, so don't insult me by drawing false conclusions from my statement. The US has a longstanding policy of allowing people to make asylum claims once they are US soil. The Obama admin (I think) had a carve out for central Americans that allowed some claims to be made outside of the US.
They already made it here, and...? Your point is, what exactly? Why should they get to stay?

Do you expect us to take in the entire population of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras?

You can join something like the Peace Corps and go to one of those countries. There is nothing stopping you from doing so. There are no age limits.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 PM

1,073 posts, read 494,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Go help them and help to keep them safe in their own country. You can become an activist for their safety in Honduras.

There are plenty of people safe in Honduras and have you ever wondered what they did over there to feel unsafe? There is no war over there as far as I know. Was their family involved in drugs or other crimes or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or just like many others claim to be unsafe as they rather be here. Which is a legitimate reason to get a legal visa
They may have a valid claim for asylum, hence why we have a system setup for it.

Quote:
They already made it here, and...? Your point is, what exactly? Why should they get to stay?

Do you expect us to take in the entire population of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras?

You can join something like the Peace Corps and go to one of those countries. There is nothing stopping you from doing so. There are no age limits.
No one is saying to take the entire population of a country. Please familiarize yourself with the asylum process.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 PM

5,769 posts, read 3,094,609 times
I guess we ought to evacuate Chicago ..... many are in danger of being killed there.

Maybe the good Senator could have volunteered to sponsor Mom and son.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:23 AM

1,125 posts, read 449,244 times
We are not heartless people...I side with the investigators and the courts...this person did not show credible evidence that she was in danger or her case would have been approved. Don't be so gullible and believe every sob story you hear its most likely a scam.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:27 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
No big deal as we enforce laws with our own citizens every day of the week! Everyone of them has a sob story, don't all criminals and law breakers have one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or