Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times

Advertisements

Hugo Mejia grabbed the lunch his wife made for him early in the morning May 3 and took off for his job at a new construction project on the Travis Air Force base in Fairfield. But the 37-year-old father of three from San Rafael didn’t return home.

Mejia and a coworker, Rodrigo Nuñez from Hayward — both undocumented immigrants from Jalisco, Mexico who have been in the United States for more than a decade — were detained on the base after a military official discovered they did not have valid social security numbers during a routine identification screening and reported them to Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Bay Area immigrant workers face ICE deportation

Good.

Lots more illegal aliens need to be ID'd, arrested, held then deported.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Hugo Mejia grabbed the lunch his wife made for him early in the morning May 3 and took off for his job at a new construction project on the Travis Air Force base in Fairfield. But the 37-year-old father of three from San Rafael didn’t return home.

Mejia and a coworker, Rodrigo Nuñez from Hayward — both undocumented immigrants from Jalisco, Mexico who have been in the United States for more than a decade — were detained on the base after a military official discovered they did not have valid social security numbers during a routine identification screening and reported them to Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Good.

Lots more illegal aliens need to be ID'd, arrested, held then deported.
Notice how nothing happened to their employer? THAT is the elephant in the room that Trump supporters avoid talking about. You can deport people all day long, and as long as their employers are allowed to keep hiring with impunity their replacements are going to be here in a few days..or a few hours.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:20 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Notice how nothing happened to their employer? THAT is the elephant in the room that Trump supporters avoid talking about. You can deport people all day long, and as long as their employers are allowed to keep hiring with impunity their replacements are going to be here in a few days..or a few hours.

And the irony is that most of these employers are Republicans!!

Old 05-13-2017, 10:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The employer DID find out those people were ILLEGAL aliens and, gave their kind to ICE.

If talking E verify for ALL employees, I'm good with that.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
The employer DID find out those people were ILLEGAL aliens and, gave their kind to ICE.

^Exactly this.

Good attempt at a straw man but nobody is "not talking about it
" I will vote Yes for a law punishing employers.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:

did you read the article?

"Mejia and a coworker, Rodrigo Nuñez from Hayward — both undocumented immigrants from Jalisco, Mexico who have been in the United States for more than a decade — were detained on the base after a military official discovered they did not have valid social security numbers during a routine identification screening and reported them to Immigration and Customs Enforcement."

Their employer didn't do crap, the Air Force found out they had fake ID's. something the employer could have done real easily by calling e-verify. It happens all day long all over the United States and NOTHING happens to the employers. Didn't you ever stop and wonder why instead of building a 30 foot wall Trump doesn't try to pass legislation requiring the use of e-verify and prosecuting employers who don't use it? (big hint: the Chamber of Commerce and major employers do not want e-verify)

Doing anything short of requiring employers to verify legal status of their employees is just smoke and mirrors, it's just a big fraud perpetrated to keep you distracted while employers continue breaking the law

Old 05-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
^Exactly this.

Read the article for heaven's sake. The employer did nothing to ascertain if they were here legally, they would still have a job with that company if not for the fact that the Air Force does a check on all persons entering the base, please try reading the article before you opine about 'straw man' arguments.

PS there are already laws on the books forbidding employers from hiring undocumented people but they have to do it 'knowingly' and if you don't require e-verify employers just shrug and say "hey, he gave me a social security number, how would I know it was fake?"

Old 05-13-2017, 11:19 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:

The article doesn't go into enough detail. I wonder if this were the initial screening taking place. I know from working for a federal contractor, he hired the employees and the contracting rep took a long hard look at them - the contracting rep being a member of the military in this case.

Also, e-verify does not catch all of them when they are using a stolen identity which most to in order to work illegally in the USA as they do not have a right to work in the USA. They enhanced the system in 2013, but some can still slip through, like slime does, you know, it can be hard to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
^Exactly this.

We already have a law to do that: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/penalties

We need to secure the border to help cut off the supply since our politicians refuse to tighten the noose on employers, TX in particular has an issue: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/12...ented-workers/ and note this is both Dems & the GOP.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:28 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,403,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
And the irony is that most of these employers are Republicans!!
In California? Do you have any link to such a wild claim?

Old 05-13-2017, 11:30 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,403,069 times
This ICE raid and more like them will free up jobs for legal US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration