U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 AM

62,353 posts, read 27,748,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
They'd have to find them first. And you're only required to pay taxes if you live overseas and making over 101k annually
They track them down via birth records. And read the thread title... "Wealthy Chinese"

More info:

U.S. Tax Laws Could Snag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 AM

1,225 posts, read 360,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They track them down via birth records. And read the thread title... "Wealthy Chinese"

More info:

U.S. Tax Laws Could Snag
Right but the children aren't taxed on their parents income

Old 05-15-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Right but the children aren't taxed on their parents income
No one said they were. You apparently don't realize that many wealthy minors acquire income from various sources. And then also, of course, as adults.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
No one said they were. You apparently don't realize that many wealthy minors acquire income from various sources. And then also, of course, as adults.
Of course, but by that point who knows where the child is? The IRS may have difficulty tracking the money down as I previously mentioned

Old 05-15-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Of course, but by that point who knows where the child is? The IRS may have difficulty tracking the money down as I previously mentioned
Seriously? In this day and age?

Multiple Ways the IRS Can Track You Down If You Failed to File US Tax Returns While Living Abroad

Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Go to any immigration forum and see posts where people are wanting to petition for their spouse from overseas who have not paid taxes nor ever received a bill. There's numerous

Old 05-15-2017, 06:36 AM

546 posts, read 495,931 times
Yeah I would agree with Tiger Lily. Its going to be very hard for the IRS to find the Chinese with newly American passports (Citizens) esp with many of them now returning to live in China.

I've lived in China for 15 years as an American and always file, but I know at least 8 or 9 American expats who are buddies of mine that never file. They haven't filed in over 10 or 15 years and never receive a letter from the IRS. Most don't make over the 100K tax free mark, but still I'm sure they should pay something but never file.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:24 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Yes, legal, but wrong and perfect argument for changing the birth-right citizenship clause.
Yes, and not waste time doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We should amend the Constitution if necessary, which very well may be required, to end this. It's outrageous. My spouse is a legal immigrant and we have worked very hard. There is no reason some other should get essentially what amounts to a free pass.
I still think the Constitution is fine but wrongly interpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Yeah I would agree with Tiger Lily. Its going to be very hard for the IRS to find the Chinese with newly American passports (Citizens) esp with many of them now returning to live in China.

I've lived in China for 15 years as an American and always file, but I know at least 8 or 9 American expats who are buddies of mine that never file. They haven't filed in over 10 or 15 years and never receive a letter from the IRS. Most don't make over the 100K tax free mark, but still I'm sure they should pay something but never file.
So, what happens if they decide to come back to the US? Or do they never intend to return? I guess they hadn't paid into social security here so that wouldn't be an issue?

Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
They'd have to find them first. And you're only required to pay taxes if you live overseas and making over 101k annually
Yeah...and even then, there's ways around it.

Quote:
The IRS can find you if it wants to. Key word: WANT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post

It likely won't be an issue for them as long as they stay overseas. I have returns on file for every year that I lived overseas but never paid the IRS a dime during that time. I stayed under the foreign earned income exemption with the documentation to prove it for every year I was there.

I would strongly encourage American expats to file EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. if they intend to ever return to the US. Failing to file is like waving a red flag in front of a bull then being confused about why it's charging at you.

It'll be a huge headache once you return to the US. I did know a couple of expats who refused to file on general principle while living overseas. They both got audited the first year they filed taxes from the US. Not fun for them.

When I lived in Europe I got to know a lot of Americans living in various European countries. Some legally, some illegally. Some of them had some pretty eye-popping stories. There were several who almost certainly would have been arrested the instant they returned to the United States. Others would have IRS-related nightmares due to owing a lot of money in back taxes and/or failing to file. One guy tried to renounce his citizenship but was unable to do so because he couldn't afford the tax penalty. He took British citizenship, shredded his US passport, and last I heard was living in Cuba. (Yes, really.)

Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 PM

546 posts, read 495,931 times
Really? Living in Cuba? WOW what a story. The things people will do to avoid taxes.....lol. Its a pain in the arse to file, but still in took me like 3 hours to do so while I was in the office one day last week. I think you have lots of expats in Asia and Europe who are running away from something in the U.S. and the IRS falls under that umbrella of "The government" and the "Evil Empire" of the federal government in the U.S.

As for the Chinese who are born in the U.S., nowadays its different. Many of them once they are born return to China, and in the future they study for HS or college in the U.S. For the most part, they pay their own way, but not all. Once they are old enough, they apply for their parents and then grandparents and siblings to migrate to the U.S. I guess its not as bad as immigrants from Mexico or Central America who come with nothing and wants jobs and financial help from the government.

Chinese usually pay their own way, not always but often do. Some Chinese look at their child having a U.S. passport as a back up plan, in case China goes under or has economic or social unrest. Most have money and don't even need to work in the U.S. They want the passport, and they also need a place to stash their money ie investing in U.S. real estate, which they consider safe.

Yeah, they don't pay into social security so they can't collect when they get older. Some of the grandparents collect benefits from the federal gov't, but its miniscule compared to immigrants from other countries in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration